Back in the saddle

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone. Great forum you have here with lots of useful info. I have recently gotten back on my bike after not riding for about 6 years. I prioritized work and family first and just did not make the time to ride. Family and work will still come first but I have now decided to shape up and get out a bit more on my bike (about 6 days a week seems right and feels great about 10 minutes of ATV trails and 20 minutes of hard riding on the road, pretty much all I have time for). Though I cut the trails out yesterday due to my neighbor leaving me a message that they had just seen a large black bear heading my way and it was almost dark.

Enough rambling. I do have a few questions about my bike and if I need to upgrade. My current bike is a Diamondback Sorento about 6 years old with some kind of RS front suspension that does not really seem like it does much on the trails. I bought it second hand from my father in law who is about the same build as me. I don’t know a lot about the different bikes that are out there and even if I would benefit from an upgrade. My riding is as I listed above about 33% rugged ATV trails with lots of hills, creek crossings, and obstacles and the balance boring road miles.
      Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Stephen

We kind of need to know the what kind fork travel you have but just on a whim… You probably have about 3-4 inches of travel. If you are looking to upgrade and wanting to stay in the travel range then you will spending about 100 to 200 dollars for a decent fork. For the type of riding that you do then I woudl recommend the Rock Shox Judy series (you would have to the deciding on your own). That is depending on your build. If you are on the lighter side of things then one of these fork would do you greatly, if you are not a light person (say 190+) then you may want to consider somehting else.

A little more information would help… body size, fork type and travel if you know.

Thanks spaz. Not sure how to measure the fork travel unless all you have to do is measure the compression under full load. I can do that. I am ignorant when it comes to bikes. Sorry. What are the different types of forks? I am 195 lbs. and 5’8" tall. A little heavy that is why I am back on the bike.

Stephen

"trussman" wrote

Thanks spaz. Not sure how to measure the fork travel unless all you have to do is measure the compression under full load. I can do that. I am ignorant when it comes to bikes. Sorry. What are the different types of forks? I am 195 lbs. and 5’8" tall. A little heavy that is why I am back on the bike.

Stephen

Are your curent brakes disc or lever???

Are your curent brakes disc or lever???[/quote]

My brakes are not disc. So they must be lever? Each brake pad is mounted to a metal piece (caliper maybe?) that has a pivot point and each has a separate cable (i think) and they form a V and become 1 cable.

Thanks Mongoose. I’ll try to get that fork measurement this afternoon.

Stephen

I would recommend this fork (Rock Shox Dart 3) to you. It is not to bad on price, and is about all you need for the riding that you are doing. Its really a mild fork compared to others, but it should do you fine. I put the link on here for you, but if it doesn’t work just go to the main webpage and do a search for it by either brand (Rock Shox) or by front fork.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/FK40 … rk+07.aspx

I should have mentioned to previously. If you going to increase your level of intensity of MTBing, then you would want to think ahead for later. Also, Ebay is a great place to start looking for possible better prices.

Fork travel is 2.5" at least what i measured is. I’m pretty sure I got it right. Think for now I’ll just keep cranking on this bike for a few more months and make a trip to a couple of bike shops in Richmond later. By then I can check out a few of their bikes and determine if I need to upgrade. I hope to increase the intensity of my riding. The trails are the most fun for me especially the down hill part when I feel like one screw up will send me flying through the trees. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Stephen

Good Deal

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.