Awesome biker/hiker moment

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Today as I bombed down a particularly rough and rooty part of my local trail, I felt something go way wrong. I looked down towards my left foot and realized that my frame pump wasn’t there. (My fault, just snapped in, not wrapped with velcro. That’s been taken care of.) While I was looking for it and loosing minutes of awesome riding, a couple of hikers came by and asked me what I was looking for. I told them that my frame pump had fallen off. By this time, I had spent way more time than I would have liked looking for it and figured I would stop and find it on the way back. I had miles of trail to cover and was losing daylight. So I told the hikers what it looked like and described my truck which was at the trail head. I stopped and looked for it on the way back to no avail. 4+ inches of accumulated leaves on either side of the trail made it seem hopeless. Imagine my elation when I got back to the truck and my frame pump was in the bed waiting for me.

I always try to take out more than I take in, this day was not the case. I’m just glad that some super awesome hikers happened to be there to make my day! Paying this one forward in the future!

Thats so cool man! Glad you got your pump back! I hate losing stuff…

Awesome! Once lost my saddlebag with a minitool and other stuff in it – never saw it again

Once found a key, left it on one of the loose nails of the trailhead sign. Hope whoever lost it took it back.

Sometimes I’m reluctant to pick stuff up on the trail because I figure the person will come back to the spot where they dropped the item to look for it. If there’s a trailhead kiosk that’s a pretty central location for lost "stuff" but if it’s something good I also worry someone will steal it there.

Right on!

I often see items like pumps, gloves, glasses, etc. hanging from a tree limb that is in plain sight when riding the trail. This keeps the item in the general area where it was lost and if the rider who lost it comes through again they should see it. Of course, that assumes that no one else takes it for their own.

Now, the two wheels suspended in trees at the end of Lakeview 2 @ Pocahontas State Park has me stumped…

They say that on the Appalachian trail you can start out with an empty backpack and pick up everything you need within the first 10 miles. This is from people casting stuff off, not necessarily lost, but kinda the same idea.

"maddslacker" wrote

They say that on the Appalachian trail you can start out with an empty backpack and pick up everything you need within the first 10 miles. This is from people casting stuff off, not necessarily lost, but kinda the same idea.

Living at the beginning of the AT, I can verify that this is a little bit of an exaggeration. 😆 but people do send back a ton of gear

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Living at the beginning of the AT, I can verify that this is a little bit of an exaggeration. 😆 but people do send back a ton of gear

No, you live at the end of the AT … 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":307coi2g] Living at the beginning of the AT, I can verify that this is a little bit of an exaggeration. 😆 but people do send back a ton of gear

No, you live at the end of the AT … 😆[/quote:307coi2g]

You only hike southbound of you are messed up in the head. Or so I’ve been told.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/ … e-to-start

A Maine-to-Georgia hike also requires that you traverse long distances between resupply points in the early part of your trek. In many ways it’s a tougher hike than a northbound thru-hike.

…but if you want to go the easy way. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

A Maine-to-Georgia hike also requires that you traverse long distances between resupply points in the early part of your trek. In many ways it’s a tougher hike than a northbound thru-hike.

…but if you want to go the easy way. 😆

I think going north just makes more sense with the weather. By the time snow melts up north enough for southbounders to start, by the time they end up in GA it is blazing fricking hot and humid as crap. No fun in my book.

"I always like going South; somehow, it feels like going downhill." -Treebeard, [i:r5ot0avy]Lord of the Rings[/i:r5ot0avy]

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.