Avid BB7’s that just won’t stay lined up right

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

A couple months ago i put Avid BB7’s on my Trek3900Disc, and they stop great, my problem is the damn things always rub the rotor.

I had the mech at my LBS set them up, a friend, my dad, a MTB coach at the high school, and have set them up myself many times…they just won’t stay in the right place, they are 185mm which i know is pretty big, could that be my problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kezXQVnLY i use this video when i do the set ups, and follow exactly and even torque them to the right specs. I just don’t know why the heck they wont work right. could it be a defect in the brakes?could i be riding wrong? just please help me figure out how to get them working right…

i think the locktite is a good idea, i had never thought of that. but they work great for about a week then start rubbing really bad, and no the rotors arent warped.

i just torqued them and they were no where near the 70inch/lbs they were set at. I have been so annoyed by this, i really hope this fixes them.

thanks for the help, i’ll have to ride tomorrow and see if they stay in place.

I used to have that problem but I kept jockeying the caliper around and then cranking the adjustment bolts tight. Eventually I got it right and they never caused me any more problems.

Avid has specs for the spacing of the rotor between the caliper (inboard vs outboard), which I assume you are following. When the rotor starts rubbing can you see that the caliper has moved? If so then the goal is to get it to quit moving. I don’t have that bike anymore, and I don’t remember the exact setup of the mount, but maybe you could rough up the surfaces of the mount so that it won’t be so easy for the caliper to slip out of adjustment.

CP put mine on the bike and i’ve had no problems since day #1 besides some minor adjustments here and there after remounting my read wheel. With my old promax brakes it was always the rotors being untrue which cause the rubbing. good luck FB!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.