Average ride distance….

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

What is the average distance you guys ride? I’ve only been riding three months… Started out at about two miles and now I’m up to five. I know I got a ways to go for fifteen.

On weekday rides, I seem to stick right around 15. Weekend rides seem to always be right around 20. It just works out that way because the trail systems I ride on the weekend are almost exactly 20 miles if you ride everything in the system.

I kept a really detailed ride log last year, here’s my stats:

Total Distance: 1,421.01 miles
      Total Time: 142hrs and 42mins
      Average Ride Distance: 19.74 miles
      Average Ride Time: 1hr 59mins
      Average Speed: 9.96mph

Most of my rides are in the 15-20 mile range. But on the weekends I have a lot of free time I like to do 30-50 mile rides.

My longest ride last year was when I finished the Thurmond Epic (finally!!) which was 64.8 miles. My shortest was 2.8 miles, which was a time trial race.

I did 72 rides, only 8 were less than 10 miles.

Best month was May with 185 miles, the worst was December with only 25.

I think most "distance" comparisons can be a bit misleading for a beginner. Without knowing the trail tread and terrain, you can’t really make a good comparison. 4 miles on the tougher singletrack trails in Pisgah, NC are going to take you almost an hour of riding. 4 miles at FATS in Augusta will take you less than a half hour. Average speed also falls into this problem because of the reasons listed above.

If you are starting off, try to get yourself comfortable riding for longer lengths of time instead. I’d say 3-4 hours of steady riding is a good goal for most intermediate riders. If you are starting out, shoot for improvement into that range. It will take you a while to get to that point, but once you are there, you will notice that your overall speed and technical ability will have also increased simply from riding more. Good luck and have fun.

no goals only minimums for me. 15 miles on mtb. and 30 miles on road bike. seems like a waste of time for anything less. usaully 15 to 20 for mtb.and usually 30 to 50 for road bike

For me it is not miles but how much time that I have. Most of the time it is 2-3 hours and I just ride. That will get 15-25 miles, maybe more, depending on which trail I head to. I tend to stick with trails close to me also. Keg Creek, Bartram and FATS are all within 15 min. form me and that equals about 65 miles of singletrack to play on.

average rides for me are usually 15-20 miles i mean when i go for a "ride",load up my stuff and go to skeggs or pleasanton ridge . some times just going down the creek trail after work or squeeze in a quickie here or there is about 1/2 -1 hour. Climbing altitude is probably a better way to judge how much work you’re doing. If you have a normal loop that you ride you can compare average speed to see improvement.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

I think most "distance" comparisons can be a bit misleading for a beginner. Without knowing the trail tread and terrain, you can’t really make a good comparison. 4 miles on the tougher singletrack trails in Pisgah, NC are going to take you almost an hour of riding. 4 miles at FATS in Augusta will take you less than a half hour. Average speed also falls into this problem because of the reasons listed above.

If you are starting off, try to get yourself comfortable riding for longer lengths of time instead. I’d say 3-4 hours of steady riding is a good goal for most intermediate riders. If you are starting out, shoot for improvement into that range. It will take you a while to get to that point, but once you are there, you will notice that your overall speed and technical ability will have also increased simply from riding more. Good luck and have fun.

+1 to this. It totally depends on the trail.

I probably average about 2-3 hrs per ride, with some longer an some shorter. Maybe 15-20 miles average?

I thin goldengoose said it the best… Besides, are you guys riding ten miles downhill and then up and down for five? Or are yall riding aqual up and down?

"vKAOSv" wrote

I thin goldengoose said it the best… Besides, are you guys riding ten miles downhill and then up and down for five? Or are yall riding aqual up and down?

I normally do up then down when ever I can. Usually as some kind of loop. It’s nice to finish on a downhill. My typical night ride is 10-15 miles that is half singletrack half greenways and alleys, usually 1.5 – 2 hours. On weekend national forest rides I am always baffled at the low number of miles. Usually around 20 miles, but it might take me 5 hours. (I am pretty slow)

I wouldn’t worry too much about miles, just ride a little more each time and enjoy it. Same with climbing, start little and build up from there. Mainly just have fun. 😃

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

I wouldn’t worry too much about miles, just ride a little more each time and enjoy it. Same with climbing, start little and build up from there. Mainly just have fun. 😃

Fantastic advice. I wouldn’t worry about the placement of the ups and downs or how far away you are from the car. I’d ride until you’re tired, sore and smiling. The natural course of things will have you improving in leaps in bounds in the beginning. Just enjoy the rides.

"schwim" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":1o4y1rr4]I wouldn’t worry too much about miles, just ride a little more each time and enjoy it. Same with climbing, start little and build up from there. Mainly just have fun. 😃

Fantastic advice. I wouldn’t worry about the placement of the ups and downs or how far away you are from the car. I’d ride until you’re tired, sore and smiling. The natural course of things will have you improving in leaps in bounds in the beginning. Just enjoy the rides.[/quote:1o4y1rr4]
      +1 on that man!! I just go out to have fun and push myself to try new tricks, climb the hill I could’nt get up the previous ride, or just to enjoy the view mama earth has laid out before me whatever your motivation just get out there and ride!!

Most bikers always have a goal to hit when on the road. An eight-mile distance is an average goal for regular cyclists. So, How Long Does It Take to Bike 8 Miles? If you are a newbie and want to explore the cycling road, it will take you more than 48 minutes to be able to complete the distance. A beginner cyclist will have an average speed of 10-12 mph. A regular biker can finish the distance in 48 minutes or less. The last is some professional bikers only take 2.14 minutes to cover a mile. It will only take them less than 20 minutes to finish an 8-mile ride.

How Long Does It Take to Bike 8 Miles? Before embarking on a full 8-mile ride, it is essential to assess your physical health, understand the road’s level of difficulty, and prepare your biking gear. In this way, you will be able to hit the 8-mile distance at an average or less.

Ten to twenty miles. I usually focus more on riding time and ride between 3-1/2 and 5 hours a week. Trail conditions and features will have a big impact on miles.

I shoot to ride a certain amount of time.  As my skills & fitness progressed the distance became longer.  But it is good to just get out and ride for a long time,  but a short time is better than no time.

I, too, just started MTB, and ride single track trails.

I don’t even think stats, just make it through without eating dirt, very important for an old dude beginning to MTB!

Just ride and get the rush!

I agree with conditions, how technical including climbs. I average between 5 and 8 on our local trails per ride  that are more climbing than shredding.  Make it challenging but not without the fun is how I like to ride.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.