Attention NH Riders: FOMBA or Bear Brook?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I know there have been some recent post regarding riding in Mancheseter Area…However I am looking for some specifics on rides in these two networks. Planning to camp at Bear Brook & planning to get 3 good rides in (~18 to 20 miles per ride). Looking for some suggested loops (with stats if possible). Any "must ride" trails? How much will I be looking at my map (i.e. are the trails well marked) ? Type of riding?

I heard you can ride from one area to the other?? If so is it worth it?

Also, If anyone has recommendations on a specific campsites at Bear Brook, please pass along…Ideally prefer something out of the way, private, and close to the water if possible.

Thanks in advance for any & all advice.

I’ve never camped at BB, but I’ve always wanted to. It’s a gorgeous area and great park, as well as being covered in awesome trails and plenty of water to dive into when all tired and hot. Do it up, man – have an adventure.

I don’t imagine you could link up FOMBA and BB… aren’t they like an hour plus away from one another?

Supposedly trail 15 in the park will get you all the way to FOMBA trails. About 20 miles one way. There is a post further down this page that explains it. (I couldn’t find it quickly but I have seen it.) It is a Snowmobile trail that is being talked about so if the trail is gated you may be out of luck.

20 miles one way on a snowmobile trail doesn’t sound that exciting…From what I’ve been reading BearBrook has PLENTY to keep me busy for 3 days of riding. Does anyone that has ridden @ BB recently have any trail suggestions? Must hit trails? Trails to Avoid? Curious to hear about the Mtn climbs & whether there are "better" routes of travel up/down the various mountains (Catamount, Hall, Bear).

Must hit is Big Bear. Climb Little Bear, stay to the left and that is the beginning of Big Bear. It’s not log but it sure is fun. Catamount can be ridden in either direction and is fun

Cool…Thanks for the tips. Headed there in a few weeks. I’ll be sure to post an update on the ride.

Reporting back after 3 day weekend of camping & biking @ Bear Brook State Park NH…..AWESOME!! There is definitely something for everyone here & lots of it. We did a little over 50 miles & over 5800 vertical in 3 days with little repeat trails. The trail system is well dispersed in a very large area, so you really get the sense you are "alone out in the woods". Sprinkle in some great scenery along the trails with some decent climbs/elevation, and you have a great Mt bike destination spot.

My favorite trails are: Hedgehog, Bear Hill, Bear Brook Upper/Lower/Extension, Hemlock, CarrRidge, and Hall Mtn Singletrack. Some of the more gnarly trails would be the Catamount & Cascade Trails….lots of elevation, Rock gardens, and a little bit of Hike-a-bike (but definitely ride-able).

I would say the trail signage at the park is "decent"…not all trail junctions are marked, and there are definitely more trails than are on the state park map (some versions floating around online too)…However having a general sense of the major "roads" in the park make navigating a lot simpler.

I would highly recommend Bear Brook for anyone looking for some classic New England Mt Biking.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.