Are e-bikes allowed on trails in Colorado?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I’m doing some research on an upcoming article about e-bike access, and came across this bill that seemingly allows e-bikes on MTB trails in Colorado. I say seemingly because I’ve heard conflicting interpretations.

http://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017A/bills/2017a_1151_signed.pdf

Does anyone know how this is being implemented in the state? I’ve included some relevant sections that to me, seem to indicate that e-bikes can be ridden on state or local trails, even if motor vehicles are not allowed. (Of course many more miles of MTB trails in Colorado are located on federal land, where e-bikes were already banned from non-motorized trails.)

Section 1, 42-1-102 Definitions, (58)

Motor vehicle” means any self-propelled vehicle that is designed primarily for travel on the public highways and that is generally and commonly used to transport persons and property over the public highways or a low-speed electric vehicle; except that the term does not include ELECTRICAL ASSISTED BICYCLES, low-power scooters, wheelchairs, or vehicles moved solely by human power.

Section 5, 42-4-1412

A PERSON MAY RIDE A CLASS 1 OR CLASS 2 ELECTRICAL ASSISTED BICYCLE ON A BIKE OR PEDESTRIAN PATH WHERE BICYCLES ARE AUTHORIZED TO TRAVEL.

Apparently this went into effect back in August, and land managers are allowed to basically “opt out” but they need to do it officially, otherwise e-bikes are allowed on paths by default.

For those who live in Colorado, what have you see in terms of how this is being implemented? Has anyone spoken to a land manager about it? I’m really interested to hear how this is being interpreted…

There’s a guy on MTBR, goes by the name Harryman and he is the expert on ebike stuff in Colorado. I believe he works on some sort of committee working on ebike legislation specifically within Colorado.

Great thanks. I’ve sent him a message.

Colorado Public Radio just published an article about e-bikes on singletrack in Colorado as well.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/e-bikes-on-trails-it-s-a-question-you-only-ask-if-you-re-ready-for-coloradans-to-sound

In Jefferson County, they actually did a study where they had e-bike riders pass hikers on the trail, then asked the hikers for their reactions. From the sound of it, few (if any?) hikers could tell the rider was on an e-bike. I imagine a lot of mountain bikers can’t recognize an e-bike either.

“Here’s this person who’s decided this thing is really a bad idea, and yet can’t recognize it when it’s right in front of them,” Bonnell said.

She found that some people who can’t recognize an e-bike can sometimes be dead set against them. Which was certainly interesting she said, “If you can’t detect it, is it really a problem?”

I love that line… if you can’t detect it, is it really a problem? 🙂

GJ just allowed them in certain places.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.