Are Bear Traps Still Being Used?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

When I retired my old Daimondback Ridgerunner, I also gave up a set of Sun Tour Superbe Bear Trap pedals. I’m looking for a comparable pedal for my new 29er. Old retrogrouches can change, but we really don’t like to 😼

I tried a set of WTB Momentum pedals as they looked an awful lot like my old ones did. While I got 20+ years out of the Sun Tours, the WTB pedals were showing signs of age after less than 300 miles: creak worse than my knees and the pedals have a noticable wobble indicating something REALLY seriously wrong.

I’ve replaced the Momentums with a set of Crank Brothers Candy SL clipless. So far, all is good. The pedals and I are still in the dating phase of the relationship: I’m getting used to their method of clipping in and snapping out and they are getting used to my style of riding.

I have yet to use the Candy’s for any real off road riding, but they seem like they’d be a good upgrade to my road bike. I just don’t trust the release system enough for off road use. This again sets me to looking for a replacement pair of Bear Trap style pedals. I’m not too enthused with the platform style, like 5050 or Mallet pedals, mainly because of the weight difference between these and what I was riding. I am not looking at clipless, like some of the Shimano flip over designs, because I already have a good pair in the Candy’s.

Is it just a (Gasp!) question of getting used to something new and trusting the Crank Brother’s release for off road use or does someone indeed still make a good reliable lightweight Bear Trap style pedal?

You can turn back the clock and get the real deal now on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0284117447

Or what I prefer, and ride on all three of my bikes:

http://www.kore-usa.com/products/elite_pedal.html

I paid anywhere from $40-75 for these brand new over the last couple of years, so it may take some hunting to find the best price. In my opinion, great pedals.

Yeah I just kind of lucked into finding those Kores. Grew up BMXing it like most, and don’t like the ‘connected to bike’ thing. If your’s have similar pins then I am sure you pay the price occassionally with a little bloody shin music. Occassionally I don a low profile set of soccer shin guards when on a super rocly trail where I have shed blood before to avoid a sequel.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.