Are all mtn bikers alcoholics?

Tagged: 

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author

Just wondering is all…. lol Seems like alot of beer drinkers on the forums. Don’t get me wrong, I drink my share… 😃

Yeah there is bro, but there are some that don’t. I do not drink like I used to, though a beer or two after a ride does make it even more worth it. R&R….. 😆 😄

Though, I do think some take it to extreme and end up getting hurt or getting into an accident going home. Seen it here locally with some local and non-local riders. I am not into drinking & driving, though nothing wrong a beer or two after a ride. 😉

Drinking beers doesn’t make a person an alcoholic, hic. Jack Daniels in your Camel Back might indicate a drinking problem. I drink, Get drunk, Fall Down, No problem, hic. Beer is medicine after a ride. Scrapes and bumps seem less important but the daring do that caused the scrape becomes VERY important. Just saying. 😄 Later,

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

I am not into drinking & driving, though nothing wrong a beer or two after a ride. 😉

After you get home, right? 😉

Not all riders are big drinkers. The ones that are seem to be vocal about it though.

I don’t drink at all.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="Bonsai-CP":sbk8hrec]I am not into drinking & driving, though nothing wrong a beer or two after a ride. 😉

Not all riders are big drinkers. The ones that are seem to be vocal about it though.

I don’t drink at all.[/quote:sbk8hrec]
      ….. 😆 😆 😆 😆

Yes, after I get home. I do not drink & drive at all my friend. I have seen the after math and the damage it causes to families in the 10 years in the Fire Service/EMS.

At home safe and sound and not placing harm on others, then the one or two beers will fit right in…LOL

dgaddis, We always need a designated driver for the beer recovery car ride home. Oh yeah, Gatorade and gin is called Greaterade. 😄 Later,

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":m6owv2q7][quote="Bonsai-CP":m6owv2q7]I am not into drinking & driving, though nothing wrong a beer or two after a ride. 😉

I don’t drink at all.[/quote:m6owv2q7]
      ….. 😆 😆 😆 😆

Yes, after I get home. I do not drink & drive at all my friend. I have seen the after math and the damage it causes to families in the 10 years in the Fire Service/EMS.

At home safe and sound and not placing harm on others, then the one or two beers will fit right in…LOL[/quote:m6owv2q7]

Right on. I don’t have a problem with people drinking (in moderation), just don’t drive. Even one or two beers slows reaction time and can be the difference between getting in a wreck or not.

I’m sure there are some that are, but not all.

I drink beer, but that doesn’t mean I’m an alcoholic. I’d rather drink one really tasty beer than a 6 pack of cheap beer that tastes like crap.

I usually drink about 3-6 beers a week, spread out over the course of the week.

Just saying, it’s possible to enjoy beer without getting drunk…

^^^^^ Very true brother, very true, and well said. 😉 😄

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="Bonsai-CP":1ohwnnjy]
      ….. 😆 😆 😆 😆

At home safe and sound and not placing harm on others, then the one or two beers will fit right in…LOL

Right on. I don’t have a problem with people drinking (in moderation), just don’t drive. Even one or two beers slows reaction time and can be the difference between getting in a wreck or not.[/quote:1ohwnnjy]
      I am like mtbgreg1, a few a week if any. I have to watch my carbs & sugar levels, and beer raises my carbs & sugar. 😉

It’s a common stereotype. Mountainbikers sitting in front of a cottage, drinking beer. I don’t drink before, during or after a ride – I barely drink alcohol at all….

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="Bonsai-CP":687lkn01]I am not into drinking & driving, though nothing wrong a beer or two after a ride. 😉

I don’t drink at all.[/quote:687lkn01]

I used to be a raging alcoholic (not ashamed to admit it) I was a "drink till I blacked out" luckily I quit in time being alcoholism runs deep in my family along w/ the diabeties so I’m set out to break the cycle for my kids, don’t get me wrong I have no problem when around people when they do drink (I’m not one of those bitter assed drunks in recovery) I figure just ’cause I had a prob w/ it doesn’t mean others do. not to sound corny but I picked up MTBn to find something to do so I would’nt drink wound up loving it and so here I am just another "mud dud"….. later

"1sikkHucker" wrote

I used to be…but I picked up MTBn to find something to do so I would’nt drink wound up loving it and so here I am just another "mud dud"….. later

Good for you man. Addiction (to whatever) is a genetic thing for sure, for some people it’s just much easier to become addicted than for others. Glad you were able to trade a negative one for a positive 😼

used to smoke a pack of cigarettes aday and drink atleast a 6pack aday for 28yrs. put both down cold turkey never went back. started cycling and honestly never missed it. PTL on that. must of been sick and tired of being sick and tired. 8yrs. sober and smokeless.

"oneeyeredeye" wrote

used to smoke a pack of cigarettes aday and drink atleast a 6pack aday for 28yrs. put both down cold turkey never went back. started cycling and honestly never missed it. PTL on that. must of been sick and tired of being sick and tired. 8yrs. sober and smokeless.

Wow dude, that’s amazing!! Congrats!!

@dgaddis: Thanks bro

@oneeyeredeye
      : Good on ya man

I don’t drink anymore.I did have a drinking problem but now i’m in recovery.I don’t see having a beer or two after a ride.I just can’t.

I been in recovery now for 15 months.My last 28 yrs of partying been a blur.Got arrested for drinking and driving 4 times.Been in out prison.I finally grew up.I just got into moutain biking about 8 months ago. A freind of mine hwo I met in AA got me into mountain biking. I love being out on the trails.I been training real hard I go to the gym 5 days week.I do spinning 3 times a week aerobics,abs,and bootcamp classes plus I run 3 miles 5 days week also.The damage I done to my body I’m trying to fix.I think it’s ok to have a beer or two after a ride.I have a disease so I can’t so train hard then play hard.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="oneeyeredeye":1b7vdeva]used to smoke a pack of cigarettes aday and drink atleast a 6pack aday for 28yrs. put both down cold turkey never went back. started cycling and honestly never missed it. PTL on that. must of been sick and tired of being sick and tired. 8yrs. sober and smokeless.

Wow dude, that’s amazing!! Congrats!![/quote:1b7vdeva]
      Thats AWSOME I now that feeling of been sick and tired of being sick and tired. CONGRATS on 8yrs

A beer or two just doesn’t sound refreshing to me after a bike ride…a bong however….LOL!

Alcoholics go to meetings. The only "meetings" I go to are hash’s.

I know mtb bikers who love to drink but I also know non athletic people who love to drink.

Kind of like asking if all people who consume alcohol are alcoholics.
      My $.02

"Screamin_Seaman" wrote

Alcoholics go to meetings. The only "meetings" I go to are hash’s.

I know mtb bikers who love to drink but I also know non athletic people who love to drink.

Kind of like asking if all people who consume alcohol are alcoholics.
      My $.02

Your funny bro….LOL!

Hey man, were you the one rider that came in on the bottom trail of the GFT and almost got slammed by a rider dropping down fro the pro-line features (east side) two weekends ago. We were having a filming and cookout in the pro-line…..LOL.

Yea I came through but stopped before crossing the path. The dude with the gopro gave me the go ahead, so I went.

I saw your wife and son but not you!

I did all the drops but I’m afraid I’ll be walking out with two unicycles if I continue… WFO Niner is being built soon!

Mmmm… Beer, I love it! It has to be a good beer and worth me drinking. No crap beer anymore. I now make my own beer to my own likings, 5 gallons at a time. IPAs are the best!! I used to drink Jack and cokes like a mad man but can’t and wont’ put them down like I used to. Most bikers I know drink but not to an extent you can call them alcoholics. Besides I will usually put them under the table.

"jmitch" wrote

A beer or two just doesn’t sound refreshing to me after a bike ride…a bong however….LOL!

Ahhh the good ‘ol days 😆
      God is perfect, man is not. Man made beer, God made pot 😎

"1sikkHucker" wrote

[quote="jmitch":32vykef6]A beer or two just doesn’t sound refreshing to me after a bike ride…a bong however….LOL!

Ahhh the good ‘ol days 😆
      God is perfect, man is not. Man made beer, God made pot 😎[/quote:32vykef6]

Come on guys, lets leave this clean and not through illegal drug use into these forums. Greatly appreciated! 😉

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

[quote="jmitch":15jotj8z]Come on guys, lets leave this clean and not through illegal drug use into these forums. Greatly appreciated! 😉

[/quote:15jotj8z]
      It’s not illegal where I live. (plus I have glaucoma) 😃

I don’t use it though, it’s just not my thing.

"maddslacker" wrote

It’s not illegal where I live. (plus I have glaucoma) 😃

I don’t use it though, it’s just not my thing.

Mmmmm, I never heard of any US State that it was not illegal one way or another, but hey, whatever.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4570.html

AND tons of trails within a few minutes drive. 😼

"maddslacker" wrote

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4570.html

Oh boy, we in trouble now…. 😏 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Though that is just a municipal law, not a State law. It is still illegal under State laws, so when you get nabbed, you could be prosecuted by State laws, not municipal….LOL. That sounds like a fair deal… 😆

To each his own…. 😆

"Screamin_Seaman" wrote

Yea I came through but stopped before crossing the path. The dude with the gopro gave me the go ahead, so I went.

I saw your wife and son but not you!

I did all the drops but I’m afraid I’ll be walking out with two unicycles if I continue… WFO Niner is being built soon!

Sent you a PM Doug.

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":26qnulrv]http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4570.html

Oh boy, we in trouble now…. 😏 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Though that is just a municipal law, not a State law. It is still illegal under State laws, so when you get nabbed, you could be prosecuted by State laws, not municipal….LOL. That sounds like a fair deal… 😆

To each his own…. 😆[/quote:26qnulrv]
      Actually states govern themselves so while it still may be illegal on a federal level individual states(Colorado) can make it legal for medicinal purposes like mine, I suffer from….. Night blindness 😆 But Bonsai has a point this is a MTB sight so lets talk about trails and no not the magic ones!!! (man I’m on a roll 😃 )

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

[quote="1sikkHucker":2joz6r4t][quote="jmitch":2joz6r4t]A beer or two just doesn’t sound refreshing to me after a bike ride…a bong however….LOL!

Ahhh the good ‘ol days 😆
      God is perfect, man is not. Man made beer, God made pot 😎[/quote:2joz6r4t]

Come on guys, lets leave this clean and not through illegal drug use into these forums. Greatly appreciated! 😉[/quote:2joz6r4t]

Sorry man, I was, you know, like toasted when I posted! JK!!

^^^^ No worries guys! 😉 I just remember the last time that was brought up and it got ugly up in here, plus this is a family orientated site as well.

Drinking beer does not make a person an alcoholic.

I believe the term was used loosely. Of the guys I’ve ridden with, 80% of them found beer to be very important to them. They drank after the ride, they carried some with them to drink during the ride. And you better believe they had a beer marketed to cyclists.

At the Icycle race, the majority of cyclists that hung out for the night DH and awards were plastered. I mean fall-down and slur your words drunk. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that the promoter was providing bottomless kegs….. and that’s because the race was partly sponsored by a brewery.

I’m not really surprised that someone thought to ask this question.

"schwim" wrote

I believe the term was used loosely. Of the guys I’ve ridden with, 80% of them found beer to be very important to them. They drank after the ride, they carried some with them to drink during the ride. And you better believe they had a beer marketed to cyclists.

This is simular to skiing. A lot of them are more in drinking during and after, than in skiing itself. The worst thing is, this all leads to wreckless driving and accidents.

"ollysj" wrote

This is simular to skiing. A lot of them are more in drinking during and after, than in skiing itself. The worst thing is, this all leads to wreckless driving and accidents.

It goes a very long way in explaining why I never really get into the culture of these hobbies & sports. I ride mountain bikes but doubt many of those guys would consider me a mountain biker. I definitely don’t fit in with the group I found myself standing in the middle of at the race.

"schwim" wrote

It goes a very long way in explaining why I never really get into the culture of these hobbies & sports. I ride mountain bikes but doubt many of those guys would consider me a mountain biker. I definitely don’t fit in with the group I found myself standing in the middle of at the race.

That arises the question, what is a mountain biker. I ride my MTB off the road and enjoy to be coverd all over with mud – makes me happy – makes me a mountain biker 😄
      I don’t need any "culture" to have fun

"ollysj" wrote

[quote="schwim":9mmgnpt5]It goes a very long way in explaining why I never really get into the culture of these hobbies & sports. I ride mountain bikes but doubt many of those guys would consider me a mountain biker. I definitely don’t fit in with the group I found myself standing in the middle of at the race.

That arises the question, what is a mountain biker. I ride my MTB off the road and enjoy to be coverd all over with mud – makes me happy – makes me a mountain biker 😄
      I don’t need any "culture" to have fun[/quote:9mmgnpt5]

+1

IMO, being a mountain biker is about NOT fitting in… it’s all about the rebel yell, and just doing whatever the heck you want to do!

I always thought mt bikers dragged their knuckles, were uncivilized and couldn’t read…….

I personally just enjoy being out in the woods. Doesn’t matter if I ride, ski, snowshoe, hike or trail run, as long as I am in the woods.

Drinking a beer(or 3) after a ride does not make a person an alcoholic. To be sure I stay at least 12 steps away from the beer store. But seriously alcoholism is a problem some people have with controlling consumption and how it effects them and others. Anyone that has put life in front of alcohol and has stayed sober for a long period of time is a strong person. Not everyone than enjoys a beer is an alcoholic. 😉 Later,

Hmm, considering I just posted a thread about biking with a hangover…..No, I am not an alcoholic.

I’m just a college student! 😼

An alcoholic by definition is someone who has a pattern of drinking alcohol….which I can’t 100% agree with, so technically by definition if you have 1 drink at the stroke of midnight on New Years, every New Years, and thats it all year long then your considered an alcoholic? Going by definition alone my example person would be considered an alcoholic I have posted before I do not abide in the frosty libations any longer but I feel if you want to either pound ’em or enjoy 1-2 either way you are held accountable for your actions whatever they may be. I personally am, have been, and do envy those who could just go out and have 1-2 and call it a day. Me? shiiiiiiiiiiit I always started out with the best intentions of 1-2 and I wound up closing out the bar –sigh– I realized, slowly, (over 20+yrs……HEY!! I’m a slow learner 😃 ) alcohol and me were’nt ment to be together ……….only with alcohol does fun and regret show up to the same party and I finally get my 3 way 😆 😆

Does dark beer taste ok in a camel pack? Light beer seems to foam up coming out. 😃

Try Guiness…

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

Yeah there is bro, but there are some that don’t. I do not drink like I used to, though a beer or two after a ride does make it even more worth it. R&R….. 😆 😄

Though, I do think some take it to extreme and end up getting hurt or getting into an accident going home. Seen it here locally with some local and non-local riders. I am not into drinking & driving, though nothing wrong a beer or two after a ride. 😉

[color=#0000FF:1i0l8akj]Drinking and Driving is not a smart thing to do. It took my 2 to learn my lesson. Now I don’t drink hardly at all, but your right one or two after a ride is alright[/color:1i0l8akj]

As a self diagnosed alcoholic, i found mtb’ing to be my replacement (actually all cycling). People have vices, no matter what the activity. So the answer to your question is NO! The difference as i see it is some ride to drink, some drink to ride. I see more drunks on fixies at the alleycats than I do on the trails.

Good trails and craft beer were just meant to be together.

I used to drink a lot when I didn’t bike. Smoked pot when I rode road bikes, stopped riding, started drinking. Quit drinking, started mountain biking, climbing, not a direct correlation but I have more fun now being sober. I did a lot of biking when I drank, but they had motors. 😆

lmao…! I didn’t know this thread would go this far. I guess I’ll post this to make it an even fifty…

I love even numbers.

(51)

ARRRRRRG Schwimm ya beat me to it!!! 😆
      anyway I’m laughin how far this went as well, funny how it seems everyone can relate to drinking in one form or another 😼

I am currently intoxicated, yet not on a bike….so therefore the sun’s mass is equal to potato. 😛

A hard ride, a few cold beers around a fire is so pleasant. The riding gets the endomorphins moving and the beer invokes a nice calming affect. It’s legal and it ain’t bad.

I’d say majority of Wisconsin riders, we like to have a good time. 😉

It may be the beer talking, but I really like beer.

Viewing 56 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.