Anyone planing on a 100 mile race this year?

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, Just started thinking about the race season again. So is anyone out there planing on doing a 100 mile race this year? I plan to do the NUE series… any good advice, training plans, or relevant info?

I voted "yes". I plan to ride a 100 miler this year, not sure if it’ll be at a race or not. Probably do it locally, in flatish terrain, before going to a race, which is usually up in the mountains with WAY more climbing than my local area has.

The NUE series is cool. I’ve done the Fools Gold 50 and the Cohutta 65. They are each about the same difficulty. Fools Gold has less miles, but more singletrack. I can’t imagine doing the 100, it’s two laps of the 50 mile route. No way I could ride the 50, come back thru the start area where there’s a band, and grills, and people kicking back and having a good time, and then go out and ride it all over again.

The Cohutta 100 covers the same singletrack as the 65, but adds in an extra 35 miles of gravel roads.

What’s the most miles you’ve ridden? 100 miles is no joke, especially in the mountains (extra especially when, like me, you don’t live in the mountains).

For training…ride a lot. Try a few six hour solo races, and some 50/65 mile races, then step up to the 100 milers.

I voted yes, if 24 hours of Moab counts.

I am not sure about a 100 miler but will do at least one 100K this year. As soon as the trails dry up and there is a little more daylight I’ll be doing some longer 3-5 hour rides if not longer.

[quote="nelsoncycles"]Hello, Just started thinking about the race season again. So is anyone out there planing on doing a 100 mile race this year? I plan to do the NUE series… any good advice, training plans, or relevant info?[/quote]

Yes..here’s the one on my Radar.

Lots of riders didn’t make the cut-offs on this one last year.
      http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com/20 … rra-50100/

There are plenty of metrics flourishing these days…..but I’d add that most 12/24 hour races get you into the 100 mile race club.
      Cheers,

D

I agree 24s and 12s count… I have done a few 70+ mi rides and a couple 24hr team events. I ride most of my training on the road but still log 2 3hr rides a week on single track. I get a 100 mile+ road day weekly when the weather is above 35ish.

"nelsoncycles" wrote

I agree 24s and 12s count… I have done a few 70+ mi rides and a couple 24hr team events. I ride most of my training on the road but still log 2 3hr rides a week on single track. I get a 100 mile+ road day weekly when the weather is above 35ish.

Sounds like you’re on your way then, way more so than me lol.

Let’s talk nutrition – what do you guys like to eat/drink during a long ride/race? This is something I’m still having trouble with.

I tried HEED for the first time a few weeks ago. Did a pretty fast paced 25 mile ride at FATS, and felt better than my (lack of) fitness should have allowed. I don’t know if I was just having a good day, or if the HEED really helped. I wished it had a stronger taste though.

I’m doing a race next weekend, and I’ll try it again. If I can just keep from cramping, I’ll be happy.

Well In regards to nutrition… I have used may different products but due to the volume of them I use and the cost, I made my own… its a maltodextrine based drink that is lightly flavored and goes down easy… for my needs it has an increased amount of sodium, small amount of potassium, magnesium, and a bit of protein… I try to keep the protein low so I can stomach it… I love solid food though for longer events… you wont catch me just nursing a bottle all day, I like sandwiches, cookies, crackers, trailmix, chicken, and fruit. the fact is that when you are racing at full pace you burn/lose way more than your body could ever digest, so the goal is to put back as much as you can to limit the damage. good luck,
      Nelson

So my main piece of advice…TRAIN with what you’ll ingest on RACE day. I’ve raced in plenty of 1/2 Ironmans and seen racers booting it, abdominal cramps and worse because they reached for something their body isn’t used to or a mix at concentrations higher than their normal regimen.

First item I absolutely recommend….Hammer Endurolyte Electrolyte Capsules, they will save your bacon when you’re sweating out minerals and salts. You can pop them on a timed schedule during your race and avoid the dreaded "catch-up" that impairs many on the course.

Then you can play with a myriad of Gels and potions with various Carb/Protein ratios and flavors. Lets get real,some flavors wear out their welcome on the palate after a few hours. Berry flavors…don’t taste very berry after 4 hours. Caffeine as an ingredient IMHO is fine too…

Good old peanut butter with banana sandwiches work….but you also need to balance the need for the bulk with the blood directed to your digestive organs for such dense intake.

In addition, you can also put a flow meter on your camelbacks (if that’s what you’re hauling) so you can keep on schedule and gauge your intake as opposed to drinking when we feel the thirst…as we all know…or will eventually learn, at that point it’s too late.

As contradictory as this may sound….late in the race I’ve witnessed (I didn’t partake) racers grabbing a good old fashioned beer as a means to get carbs and electrolytes in the system fast. Watched one racer at 12hrs of Humboldt suck down 6 beers (Anchor Steams) in 4 hours and win. I may partake this yr.

A resource for tuning a race/training fuel are the multisports…they are closer to MTB 12/24/100 mile events than the roadie energy needs.

Good Luck on the long ones.

Anyone ever tried one of those 5 Hour Energy’s? I’ve heard some good things. I’m going to try it eventually, not at a race the first time though.

[quote="dgaddis"]Anyone ever tried one of those 5 Hour Energy’s? I’ve heard some good things. I’m going to try it eventually, not at a race the first time though.[/quote]

Yep..I’ve used them a few times. Your boost won’t come from sugars like most booster drinks nor guarana..but copious amounts of caffeine and vitamin B.
      It definitely gives you a boost, but without nutritional supports it’s a hard fall from a high place. Some of my friends have complained of feeling like their skin is hot…a side effect of the Vit B. In one race I used it and my HR was tagging 210 BPM….which was about 15 beats beyond my normal tach line.

Worth a try but not the best means to an end.

Snickers! Buy the fun size, they are smaller, just a few bites and they are gone. Put a few in the jersey pocket. another thing I have tried and it seemed to work was Sports beans by Jelly Belly. I know Chainreaction has them, don’t know about Andy’s

I like Jelly Belly Sport Beans too…they are awesome!

I also use Hammer Gel and/or Clif Shot Bloks, depending on the length of the ride.

I have to say that from what info i gathered from 5 hour energy is that they provide you "energy" through vitamins… not exactly true… vitamins support energy systems, they do not give energy. If you eat a well rounded diet then your body will remove (by pee) all of the excess vitamins… so i would say its probly better to just take a multi vitamin eat real food and dont forget your fruit. 😀

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.