Anyone ever go heli-biking?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m trying to learn a little bit about heli-biking and I’m wondering if anyone here has done it before? It definitely sounds like a rock-star way to shuttle DH runs but I imagine there’s a little more to it than that…

i’ve never done it before. but i have looked into it before. i ended up staying away from it cause it was super expensive. it is used mainly for getting up to inaccessble areas where trails have been cut but there is no real access to it by way of access trails or by vehicle. it was also used to get to some really high altitude trails in the swiss alps. me and a group of guys were planning a trip for it last year and looked into a day of it but….it just never worked out.

"trek7k" wrote

I’m trying to learn a little bit about heli-biking and I’m wondering if anyone here has done it before?

I wish. Seems i read an article about an operation starting up in BC a year or two ago in BIKE mag.

I’ve heli-skied and that was $450 and $500 5-10 years ago. You’ll need several people to fill the chopper. Skiing Aspen is a better deal.
      A cheaper alternative would be Downieville, CA where a van shuttles you up for a 5000′ descent, around $20. Shuttles are common in many mountain areas.
      Helicopters cost $1000+ an hour to run, get your check book ready.

$500 is pretty steep, that buys a lot of lift tickets for all the ski resorts.

I have heard of it in BC and Alaska, but I always just assumed it was for the type of rider who would be filmed by The Collective, not a fat bald guy like me…

JDH

I’ve never heard about heli-biking up here in Alaska but here is a link to a company that provides helicopter lifts to bikers in the Yukon Territory CA.

http://www.bearbackbiking.com/helibiking.html

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.