Anyone else have this problem? Freehub body

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I seem to get this a lot, and not even after many rides. If this has happened to you, you know it makes getting the cassette off a pain and plus it just looks janky.

How is it that no one has fixed this yet? Or am I just using cheap parts?

Aluminum freehub body, steel cassette pieces…the only fix I have found is a more durable freehub or a downgraded cassette with less individual pieces…

Hence the different design with the Sram freehub.

Err, higher end cassettes generally have more cogs mounted to the main aluminum carrier, so I wouldn’t suggest going with a cheaper cassette. They may have “less pieces” but that’s just because those pieces are pinned together.

An XT level cassette would be my suggestion. You’ll still get some marring from the smaller cogs that are not mounted to the carrier though.

Huge torque, but huge torque doesn’t always result in huge power.  I see this on bigger riders who pedal at slower cadence, around 70rpms (yes, that is a slow cadence).  Training yourself to pedal faster, from 90 up to 120-130 rpms even, can help produce more power and reduce wear on cogs and chains.  My road cassettes last years with regular chain replacements, even racing 2x and training 2-3x / week.

Yeah, I’m probably guilty of running a fairly low cadence so that could be part of it.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.