Any tips on keeping a camelbak cold?

Tagged: 

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author

Other than ice….. I have a cheaper Coleman camelbak type that i got for xmas. Its great but my body heat keeps heating up the water…. I know the better packs have better ventilation.. However, I kinda want to see if I can make this one work. I have seen some creative shat on this site and was wondering if anyone had something to help..

My initial thought is to place one of those freezer cold packs(like you use for sore muscles) against the bladder.

Just out of curiosity, what don’t you like about ice in the camelbak?

Yeah, when it’s 90+ here I just put ice in mine.

Besides ice cubes in the water within the bladder, just pour ice cold water from the freezer or refrigerater in the bladder instead. I have heard of people sticking the bladder itself in the freezer until the water is good and cold, but not frozen, but not sure if method would damage the bladder itself in the long run.

Those are your best bet without adding the extra weight of ice packs or dry ice…. 😆 😆 😆

I guess I’m looking more for insulation methods to keep the Ice from melting

On a hot day, ventilation can be your enemy – blowing hot air over a cold beverage just melts the ice more quickly. Shoot, some nights I’ve started my night ride with a water bottle that’s completely frozen solid and 15 minutes of fast road riding later, it’s fully liquid.

So I say wrap that sucker with something insulated like a pot-holder or even styrofoam. You’ll want to keep weight low while a) insulating the bladder and b) keeping it away from your hot, sweaty back. Some of the more fancy Camelbak packs are insulated but they really just have thicker padding. Camelbak also sells insulated bottles but again, they just wrap a bottle with an insulating material.

Experiment and let us know what works!

Hi,

What would you think of a device that could heat or cool the water going out from the bladder?

I’m a startup founder doing some market research.

Thanks!

+1 to everything that’s been said.

But personally, I’ve just always sucked it up and drunk warm-ish water. (until I got an insulated pack… they work pretty well). If you’re thirsty enough, any water is going to taste good no matter what the temperature!

Word. And they say warm water is better at hydrating you anyway since your body can absorb it faster (not sure if that’s true). Then again, cold water helps regulate your temp. so you don’t overheat.

As trek7k said regular tap water temp water hydrates better. We have become conditioned into thinking cold water is better. The body has to warm up cold water to be able to absord it into the system. Drinking cold water doesn’t lower your body temperature(ice bath does). If it is 90 degrees some 75 degree water does refresh but goes to work quicker. 48 degree water will stay in your belly untill it warms up a bit. On a hot day I will use a few ice cubes in the water to keep it cooler but not cold. Cold is for BEER after the ride. Just saying. 😄 Later,

I put ice in if it available, but I don’t go looking for it.

1) the ice is more to keep my back cool
      2) the water in the drinking tube ends up being warm anyway.

I’m in the "no ice" camp as well, except maybe on the hottest of summer days. I prefer room temperature water to cold water. So in short, I have nothing to offer.

Let us know what you come up with.

"2) the water in the drinking tube ends up being warm anyway"

I find these days in GA my tube water is good n cold from he cold air and then It turns into warm sweaty back temp water. Ha ha. I started using cubes and it works well in winter I’m just wondering about when it gets warm…How quickly they will be not worth the effort of inserting them one by one into the bladder.. Trek, I like the insulate ideas. I think I just Need to keep it a bit off my back like with something that won’t conduct heat to the bladder. I’m learning a lot about what makes a good pack vs a mediocre one. This one also has a small screw cap opening so I have to feed ice in one cube at a time. My 8 and 6 yr olds picked it out for me for Xmas.. I knew it wasn’t the best product but they love seeing me using it…. So I will make the best of it. Holds a ton of stuff so it’s not all bad….
      Thnks guys!

Regarding the hose, my first lower model Camelbak included an insulated cover on the hose. A few years ago I bought a Lobo and it didn’t come with the insulated hose. I definitely noticed a difference. Not sure if CB sells them separately, but might be worth checking out.

"Spartan" wrote

This one also has a small screw cap opening so I have to feed ice in one cube at a time. My 8 and 6 yr olds picked it out for me for Xmas.. I knew it wasn’t the best product but they love seeing me using it…. So I will make the best of it.

Haha, I think all dad’s have presents that fit this description. The cool thing is that usually, once I start using it and forget about the dreamy Rolls Royce I saw in the magazine, it works just fine 😀

"Spartan" wrote

I think I just Need to keep it a bit off my back like with something that won’t conduct heat to the bladder.

Hmmm… maybe a piece of aluminum foil between the bladder and your back to reflect the heat away from the bladder?

"schwim" wrote

[quote="Spartan":1egneddu]This one also has a small screw cap opening so I have to feed ice in one cube at a time. My 8 and 6 yr olds picked it out for me for Xmas.. I knew it wasn’t the best product but they love seeing me using it…. So I will make the best of it.

Haha, I think all dad’s have presents that fit this description. The cool thing is that usually, once I start using it and forget about the dreamy Rolls Royce I saw in the magazine, it works just fine 😀[/quote:1egneddu]
      I second that. I have one of the coleman packs and it works great.

Maybe make a pouch out of a sheet of packaging foam and duct tape for the bladder?

I’m thinking you could probably cut down one of those grocery freezer bags to fit the bladder and duct tape the seams back together. Kind of a redneck fix, but it would provide light insulation!

To keep the water in the tube cool, gently blow it back into the bladder. As for the water warming up, 1" foam padding from a fabric store might be just the right low-weight insulation you need.

OK guys, just drink the water; warm, cold etc, it’s all good. 😆

I use platypus bladders, the old Camelbak blatters had a bad taste, don’t know if it’s now true.
      Fill the bladder 1/4-1/2 full, depending on how hot it is. Then lay it down in the freezer overnight. Just fill it the rest of the way before heading out, cold water for the whole ride.

"abegold" wrote

the old Camelbak blatters had a bad taste

I’ve never noticed anything funky with mine. (I do clean it and the hose periodically though)

I looked through alot of these posts and many are good ideas. There are bladders that have the "ice cubes" as part of the Bladder. I have one that cost about $10 from Outdoors that works wonders. I also use a Coleman pack and with the addition of this bladder it makes a huge difference. It will keep your water cool but not ice cold.

Thx for the info. I’m going to use some layers of foam between me and the bladder. Let you know how it works when the weather gets warm..

Son, daughter and myself always freeze 3/4 of the bladder the night before a ride. In the morning before driving to trail head we fill the rest of the bladder with water and let nature and heat provide cool trail water. Also works well with Gatorade and Powerade. Haven’t figured out how to keep winter riding/skiing fluids from freezing in the camelback hose….

I always slide the hose back into the compartment holding the bladder. More of a hassle but keeps everything in the hose from freezing/warming up.

Thanks, that should do the trick.

I know we’ve about beaten the topic to death, but bike radar did an article on building a homebrew insulating liner for your camelbak, if anyone needs the visual assistance.

Is this liner material similar to those packing material that came with my electronic equipment such as a DVD player for example?

Looks to me like it’s identical.

I haven’t tried this but just started thinking of it today: get an emergency blanket (the really thin ones) and cut enough of the material so that you can make an envelope to encase your water bladder. I am thinking that you might not want to seal the edges because you’ll want to clean it and dry it on occasion to avoid any bacterial growth. Maybe cut enough fabric so that you can wrap it around your water bladder just enough times so that it won’t fall off when you put it back into your pack.
      I am getting ready for a trip up to the local mountains and was considering doing this. The emergency blanket material is light enough and is made to reflect body heat, so maybe it can do the same to reflect cold? Any thoughts on this idea?

Last couple of rides I have placed my bladder and pack into the fridge for a few hours before I head out. Just before I head out I fill the bladder with as much ice as it can hold. I have a short ride to the trail head and it is still cold when i put it on my back. during the hot Georgia summer i also carry some bottles on the frame, usually with a mix of ice tea/lemonade or gatordae, of course lots of ice.

I usually leave the bladder in the fridge for at least a day before I ride. I ride for about two hours and I’ve never had a problem with the water getting disgustingly warm, then again I live in New York and the heat is never too much of an issue. The ice idea seems like a good plan, maybe if you put the bladder in the fridge for a day or so, then before you ride put some ice in it.

I live in PHX, so keeping water cold is always a plus. I recently purchased an insulated tube to attached to my camelback (the tube is made by them as well). I put cubes in my pack and that will keep the water cool for at least 3-4 hours.

I was having the issue of the first part of the drink being warm, mainly due to the water heating up while sitting in the tube. This new, neoprene insulated, tube really does the trick. Cold water all of the time. It was worth the $20 to me.

Another plus is the moldable wire that is between the tube and the insulation. It allows me to shape the water tube to fit my body, and no tube dancing on my face when the trail gets fun.

The one thing I haven’t seen anyone try ……How bout make a sleeve for the bladder out of bubble wrap or at least putting it between you and the bladder and line the inside of the bubble wrap with that reflective emergency blanket .In a way you would be makeing a soft sided cooler around the bladder ….Just a thought

Just came up with a perfect way to keep your water bladder cold cheap too Slide a insulated lunch bag ($1.50 U.S.At local Circle K gas station) inside your pack then slide your waterbladder inside that along with a small ice pack did that when my wife and I went to Mohican aftewr keeping our water in the cooler with the ice pack for 2 hrs to the trail head it kept the water cold for an aditional 6 hrs last drop was still ice cold 😃

They make some that have a gel pac that is made into the bladder. The one I use has that and I usually put the bladder in freezer for about an hour without any water in it to get the gel kinda frozen, then fill it up with cold water and head out for a ride. It usually stays pretty cold for about 3-5 hours, depending on temp. Also having an insulated hose really helps out, so in between drinks you don’t have to suck in that hot water that stays in the clear hoses while your not drinking it.

NOTE: Water that is cold takes longer to get into your system and it uses major energy to get it warm enough to be absorbed. I put a few ice cubes in my camelback so it gets cool at the beginning. By the time I need it isn’t hot. Cold drinks will cramp you up when you are really hot. Cold is for beer after the ride. Fat people know. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

NOTE: Water that is cold takes longer to get into your system and it uses major energy to get it warm enough to be absorbed. I put a few ice cubes in my camelback so it gets cool at the beginning. By the time I need it isn’t hot. Cold drinks will cramp you up when you are really hot. Cold is for beer after the ride. Fat people know. 😄 Later,

+1 to what fat billy said.

I hate drinking hot water as much as anyone, but slightly cool to luke warm water is actually easier to process during hard activity than cold water..

I personally can’t drink water that is too cold wheather I’m biking or not but i do like to keep it from getting so warm its hotter then I am plus when i do Get a drink I drink very little at a time just enough to wet my whistle so to speak….But the person theat started this thread and a few others were trying to figure out a cheap way to insulate there camelbaks better on my last post I think I came up with a pretty good solution.. Before I upset anyone any further I do agree with what FatBilly and MTBGreg is saying bout drinking too much really cold water I personally have a tendency to get sick if I drink Too much water anyhow let alone if it’s really cold then I’m really asking for it

I know this thread is old but as far as keeping a camelbak…or anything really cold, purchase some dirt cheap emergency blankets and wrap the camelback liner with that. It will keep things cold much much longer.

"gar29" wrote

I’m thinking you could probably cut down one of those grocery freezer bags to fit the bladder and duct tape the seams back together. Kind of a redneck fix, but it would provide light insulation!

This is what i was going to suggest as a start. If it doesn’t work the way you want, you could always buy something like this

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hydr … or/product

That’s pretty cool. I’m surprised that Camelbak doesn’t have something like that for their bladders.

They have insulated blatters too:
      [url:1vin11gm]http://shop.camelbak.com/stoaway-100-oz/d/1198_cl_1482[/url:1vin11gm]
      [url:1vin11gm]http://shop.camelbak.com/unbottle100oz/d/1199_c_121[/url:1vin11gm]

"Inertia" wrote

I live in PHX, so keeping water cold is always a plus. I recently purchased an insulated tube to attached to my camelback (the tube is made by them as well). I put cubes in my pack and that will keep the water cool for at least 3-4 hours.

I was having the issue of the first part of the drink being warm, mainly due to the water heating up while sitting in the tube. This new, neoprene insulated, tube really does the trick. Cold water all of the time. It was worth the $20 to me.

Another plus is the moldable wire that is between the tube and the insulation. It allows me to shape the water tube to fit my body, and no tube dancing on my face when the trail gets fun.

Sounds gr8. I had that yesterday. first swallow blood warm. Had it the other way too, when I left water in over night and went riding in cool weather. every time I’d drink it’s cold for 1st bit then tepid.

Personally, I like my water coolish or even warm. Your body is able to metabolize warmer water faster. On the other hand, you can boost your metabolism by drinking ice cold water. When I’m riding or working out I stick with the warm water, when I’m sitting around watching t.v. ect. I’ll drink ice water to keep the metabolism working.

As for a tip… ICE! Put some ice in you pack with cold water. Wrap in a dish towel, and it will stay cold for a short ride.

Decided to try something to keep my water a little cooler. I could not find the packing foam around here which was my first choice, so i picked this up at the local liquor store ($2.19) and I think it will work fine. Scizzors and a little duct tape and I should be good to go.

@CigarsNJeeps

I’ve stopped using hydration packs for mountain biking because they are hot, heavy, and uncomfortable. Such a device would only serve to make packs hotter, heavier, and (perhaps) more uncomfortable. It seems the current–albeit slowly developing–trend is away from hydration packs for MTB altogether.

Viewing 46 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.