Any recommendations for the Berryman Trail ???

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

My son and I are going to be taking a trip back through the Midwest and South and are looking forward to riding a few IMBA Epics and some other great trails. The trail that concerns me the most is the Berryman Trail. It sounds like the 6000′ or so of climbing really takes a toll on you. I "got" the recommendation to bring extra water, but does anyone have any other recommendations? For example, reading through the comments about the eastern portion of the trail it sounds like running from Brazil Creek Campground west to the Berryman Trail Campground is pretty demanding, especially to finish on this portion. Would it be better to do this portion of the trail first and get this difficult section of trail out of the way right away?? It sounds like most riders start and end at Berryman CG running CW, instead of starting at Brazil CG and running CW. And which campground is nicer — Brazil or Berryman??? And why??? Thanks for the input.

Have ridden the trail several times, never camped, but if I did would try Brazil Creek first. The reviews are correct. The part of the trail west from Brazil Creek is really just some nice hilly trail, but if you save it for last, and you are tired; you’ll end up going "NO Please Not Another HILL". Is really the length of the trail that gets to you, nothing steep or technical. Bring extra water, hummidy is a factor.

"RoadWarrior" wrote

Have ridden the trail several times, never camped, but if I did would try Brazil Creek first. The reviews are correct. The part of the trail west from Brazil Creek is really just some nice hilly trail, but if you save it for last, and you are tired; you’ll end up going "NO Please Not Another HILL". Is really the length of the trail that gets to you, nothing steep or technical. Bring extra water, hummidy is a factor.

Thanks for the input RoadWarrior. From your confirmation, I think we’ll give it a go starting from Brazil CG. My son and I put in 28mi on Friday (our longest yet) and 3800′ of climbing on Falcon Trail at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs on Friday. We’re trying to get the mileage up a bit and do as much climbing as we can before we leave. Hopefully, we’ll do two more rides around 30mi before we head for the Midwest. Do you have any other thoughts on Berryman? Favorite parts of the trail? Or things to see or watch for? Is it really 6000’+ of climbing? Do you know how bad the bugs are?

GPS tend to calculate every bump in the trail as an elevation change, so probally not. If you are doing 28 milers out in Colorado you won’t have any problem. Heat, and hummidy will be your biggest concern. If it’s going to be hot start early. Don’t remember bugs being any worse there than anywhere else. Bugs got to eat too 😆

Yeh, just some bugs are hungrier than others. 😮 I grew up in the midwest and left when I was 20, never to return because of those bugs and humidity. I love the hardwood forests of the midwest and east in the winter, but not so much in the summer. Thanks for all your input. It’s been really helpful and reassuring. On this trip we’re going to hit Berryman first, then Brown County, Mohican in Ohio, Lake Hope in Ohio, Big South Fork in TN, Five Points in Cloudland Canyon State Park in northern Georgia and then any other trails we are up for. We might try Syllamo and Womble or Pinhoti in the south, but it’ll probably be blazing down there before we get can get there. Thanks again Warrior.

If you are heading to the Berrymany don’t forget to check out the Gateway Off Road Cyclist [url:1h291rir]http://www.gorctrails.com[/url:1h291rir] and the Ozark Trail Association [url:1h291rir]http://www.ozarktrail.com[/url:1h291rir] These are the two area Mountain bike trail advocacy organizations! You will find a lot of info about the trails including maps, area camp grounds, up to date trail conditions and more!

Thanks Greaser. I have been looking at their sites. Very helpful indeed.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.