Any necessary upgrades to my new stock bike?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. But I am just getting into mountain biking on a more serious level and purchased a real mountain bike. It’s a 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0 w/Mech Disc brakes. I know it’s not top of the line, but I’m a college student.

So to anyone out there willing to answer…Is there any upgrades that have really made a difference in your ride that you would suggest to anyone?

Two things that I’m not fond of on the bike would be the pedals and the grips. Would these make a good first upgrade or should priority go to something else first?

Start with annoys you right away, the grips and pedals. These are ‘first upgrades’ for about any bike.

Then you’ll notice something else, then something else … you get the idea.

I agree with maddslacker, upgrade the annoying/comfort stuff first, then ride, ride, and ride some more.

One thing to look at would be the tires. My Fast Trax weren’t providing me with the grip I needed for the trails I was riding. I think your GT has Kenda Nevegals though, so you hopefully shouldn’t have those problems. But, if you find yourself losing traction all the time, that might be something to look at, assuming the loss of traction is due to equipment and not body position.

I agree with the above, after my first couple of rides, the grips and pedals annoyed me the most. Replace both, ODI Rouges and Answer Rove pedals, I never looked back. Now it’s the saddle that’s annoying me.

"ftopping91" wrote

w/Mech Disc brakes.

Get rid of them and replace it with hydraulic brakes.

There’s nothing wrong with mechanical disc brakes.

"maddslacker" wrote

There’s nothing wrong with mechanical disc brakes.

I’m sure it depends on the brakes.

Avid BB7’s = awesome

BB5’s are slightly less awesome…they work the same, but need a tool to adjust…

clipless pedals, best upgrade… just do it and you will never look back…. the other stuff you will find as u ride more and ride a friends bike from time to time and you will feel many difference and things you like about your bike and things you don’t. some you will be able to change over time, others you wont.

gl

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.