Any fellow Singletrackers in the West ND/SD area?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I recently moved to western ND, and I’ve just begun to explore the limited, yet surprisingly scenic and fun, trails in the area. I’m planning on focusing my efforts in the black hills area of South Dakota, as they have more trails to choose from than where I’m located (Watford City, ND).

Any fellow singletrackers in the area? I hardly know anyone here except for coworkers and I haven’t met any mountain bikers. My work schedule doesn’t afford me much free time, but I’d love to make a couple contacts for tips, recommendations, and group rides.

Alex,
      There aren’t many PEOPLE there, let alone may who ride 😎 😬

In any case, there are worse places to be. When I lived in Minot, it was almost 3 hrs to Watford City where I could hit up some legit singletrack on the MDH and Longs X trails.

The Black Hills have TONS of trails, great variety, and most of them are uncrowded. It’s still a pretty good haul from Watford City though, not really day trip material.

Hope you find some fellow fat tire fanatics to share your adventures with–it can get lonely out there.

"John Fisch" wrote

Hope you find some fellow fat tire fanatics to share your adventures with–it can get lonely out there.

Thanks. Ain’t that the truth. They have a pretty big race on the MDH each year, which I was eager to do, but I’m not willing to sign up for the 75 or 100 mile versions which still have room. Did you ever participate in the MDH 100?

"Alex Rosentreter" wrote

[quote="John Fisch":16lsfp8b]

Thanks. Ain’t that the truth. They have a pretty big race on the MDH each year, which I was eager to do, but I’m not willing to sign up for the 75 or 100 mile versions which still have room. Did you ever participate in the MDH 100?[/quote:16lsfp8b]

No. My last year living in ND, they were planning on having the first such race but it got cancelled, I’m not sure why. If I had signed up, it probably would have been as part of a team–100 miles is a long time in the saddle!

What they really need to do is allow bike access through that little, 2-mile stretch that clips the corner of the North Unit of Teddy Roosevelt National Park. That way, the race could be on 100% singletrack rather than having to detour on all those miles of dirt road. That would make the race much more attractive.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.