Another vs topic

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m gonna be getting my bike next week and can’t decide between 2. One is a diamondback response 2013 and the other is a jamis trail x sport 2015. The DB msrp is $440 but on sale for $280, the jamis is $540. The DB is 26 and the jamis is 27.5. Both have all Shimano parts. Does anyone have any useful opinions? Thanks for the help

Here’s the specs list for each bike

The jamis
      http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applicatio … rp=m650b_2

And the diamondback
      http://www.diamondback.com/2013-response

After a quick look at the specs I, if I was in your position, would go with the diamond back. I am no expert and just gave a quick look, but I hope that helps.

Mountain biking is a drug, so if you get addicted you will need to upgrade all of these components. So go with the frame you like best and is most worthy of spending money on upgrades. Not trying to insult the bikes, just those components will not last if you are riding hard or if your level increases. Just changed to a 27.5" from 26" bike, because most of the manufacturers seem to be eliminating their 26" lines. Don’t want to upgrade my old bike if it’s going to be outdated- I have no conections in the "Biking World", but it just seems like 26" bike are on their way out in the higher end bikes.. Never liked the 29er’s but the 27.5" has a better feel.

I would lean towards the Jamis just because it has disc brakes and 8sp drive train as opposed to a 7sp. If you’re looking for a bike around that price, you might consider the Airborne Guardian, which is $599 and is set up with better components. It’s a 29er, which is nice on a hard tail.

Hey there,

New bikes are always exciting! I’m more than happy to share my opinion with you, but really what you FEEL is the better bike for you is what counts. What I mean by that is it is less about the specs list (although it is an important part) but more about the feel of the bike when you are on it. If you can, I would STRONGLY recommend that you get on both bikes, or at least get on similar 26" and 27.5" bikes to feel the difference between how the two handle and determine which fits you better.

As far as entry level bikes and getting into the sport… that is what they do – get you into the sport. As you get hooked (and trust me, mountain biking can be an addiction like no other) you will upgrade. Could be parts, could be a whole new bike. So again, this harkens back to which bike fits you best – will allow you to enjoy your riding the most – and get into the sport.

So my opinions on the two bikes. (Disclaimer: I ride a rigid singlespeed 29er – so you know there is something wrong with me.) I will echo the previous comment regarding the industry moving away from 26 and more toward 27.5 and 29… so if the thought was upgrading, you’ll have more options on the 27.5 side of things. The other major difference (other than their wheel sizes) would be their brakes. If I was stuck between the two, and felt comfortable on both I would def go for the 27.5 because it has disc brakes over the linear pulls. For me, even if the braking power/performance was the same, I’d say disc brakes are just inspire more confidence.

And, if you could consider the higher price point I would def go the airborne route. Much better drivetrain, and hydraulic disc brakes… this bike would be able to serve you for a while before feeling the need to upgrade. Plus the 29 is nice on the hard tail (larger wheels smooth out the chatter = increased confidence, easier on the body, etc). But again, you’d need to get on a 29er and see how it fits you, and how you feel handling it.

So in the end… it is up to you, but my advice would be go with what bike you feel most comfortable on.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.