Another question. Two choices

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Another question. Two choices

--
SHARES

Tagged: , , ,

• Author

I have been riding an old giant hunter 8. It is heavy and fully rigid, and two small for me (I am 6’2 around 200 lbs). I am wanting to get a new bike and like most people I am limited on funds, (mostly because I have four kids and teach in China). I am looking at two bikes.

29′ Cannondale Trail 4
    http://www.cannondale.com/ind/catalog/p … egory/931/
    About $ 866
    29′ Trek X-Caliber 7
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo … caliber_7/
    About $ 775 (I could probably swing clipless pedals and shoes with this one, and I like the lock out component on the forks little better in that it has a range of rigidity instead of the on/off like the Cannondale.)

What do you guys think about these two bikes? I have really been out of the loop for a long time and when I compare the specs they mean very little to me. I have seen very positive review on the Trek and the Cannondale has had some poor reviews. But Spec wise is there a problem with either bike? I am somewhat limited to these two bike for price point (Both bikes will be a stretch) and in China most of the market is buying smaller bikes (there limited choices in my size.)

Would really appreciate any advice, thanks in advice.

-Sean

Hi, Sean! Both bikes are pretty close to each other spec wise. Still, I’d buy a Trek. It’s a personal preference and you might like Canondale better after test-ride. The most important for you to understand is that you actually buying a frame with replaceable/upgradable components. If frame fits you fine, everything else on the bike is not so important. Both bikes are screaming for better fork. And I prefer Trek’s brakes and wheels. Hope others will add some recommendation too.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward the trek.

I agree with Stumpy that both are very similar and the best choice would be to go with feels better to you.

If you’re not stuck on buying from a local shop, you could consider an Airborne. Several of us around here have them and are very satisfied. They sell direct, via the internet, so don’t have the high overhead that is built into the "name brand" bikes.

The Guardian is very comparable to what you’re looking and comes with Sram X5 components for $599.

Of the two bikes you listed I’d go with the Trek. But I’m a fan of the Trek (and Gary Fisher) bikes.

I have no experience with the Airborne but every time someone on a budget looks for bike advice on here they get thrown out there. I’m guessing there’s something to that… lol

Good luck and remember to go with whatever feels and rides best for you.

"Devin_P" wrote

Of the two bikes you listed I’d go with the Trek. But I’m a far of the Trek (and Gary Fisher) bikes.

I have no experience with the Airborne but every time someone on a budget looks for bike advice on here they get thrown out there. I’m guessing there’s something to that… lol

Good luck and remember to go with whatever feels and rides best for you.

IMO there is something to that lol.

My thought on the whole Airborne issue (I’m thinking we should all get a commission, or at least a free bike! 😆 ) Is that for people who don’t have the money to spend on an expensive rig, which we hear so often, won’t go wrong with an Airborne. The bike is quality built with good components for a such a cheap price. Yeah, I get the whole argument about not having LBS support for purchasing one of their bikes, etc., but if price is the most important factor, you can’t beat the price on an Airborne, and very few bike shops will refuse the shop fee they charge for repairs/tune ups.

my bike shop is great. Most of the time they don’t charge for labor. Just parts.

I am not sure how well the people here in China are concerned with fit. So I was hoping some of you could give me some basic ideas. I know this is difficult to do online, but I am more interested in not getting a bike that is too big or too small. I am 6’2 and about 200 lbs. The frame size I was looking at was 19.5". I know this is asking a lot but what are some general guidelines for choosing a bike size. It seems like there is much written on the importance of fit but very little on what measurements apply to what specific components on the bike. I would not ask this except in China I am not sure how to get the right fit. The most important thing in my mind is getting a frame that fits me. If you mess up on that it doesn’t matter who you get to fit your bike it won’t work. Thanks ahead of time.

Sean

"mic673" wrote

I am not sure how well the people here in China are concerned with fit. So I was hoping some of you could give me some basic ideas. I know this is difficult to do online, but I am more interested in not getting a bike that is too big or too small. I am 6’2 and about 200 lbs. The frame size I was looking at was 19.5". I know this is asking a lot but what are some general guidelines for choosing a bike size. It seems like there is much written on the importance of fit but very little on what measurements apply to what specific components on the bike. I would not ask this except in China I am not sure how to get the right fit. The most important thing in my mind is getting a frame that fits me. If you mess up on that it doesn’t matter who you get to fit your bike it won’t work. Thanks ahead of time.

Sean

Sean, most important is to check standover height. Then reach would the second thing to pay attention to.

I agree with Stumpy that stand over height is probably the most important. Other stuff can be adjusted by changing stems, seat posts, crank arms etc.

Here is a link to a past article on our site that may be useful…

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … ike-a-pro/

this may be crazy but I bought this and decided to build a bike. a friend is giving me some good components picked up some rock shox and wheels. My friend had experience but I am excited. Thanks for your help.

Congratulations on your purchase. Never built a bike myself but can imagine how excited you’re now.