Another "buying advice" thread (Trek DS 8.5 or ???)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hey gang, new to the board and looking for some good buying advice. I’m shopping for a new mountain bike and have my choices narrowed down to 2-3 bikes. All are in the $1000-$1200 range and seem to be very close in terms of geometry. I’ve also test driven all three and feel that all are within my comfort zone for riding. I plan to ride mostly on light trails, paved roads, hilly terrain, but nothing too extreme in terms of downhilling. What I want is reliability, versatility, etc., so that if my style does change to be more aggressive the bike will accomodate. The bikes I have narrowed down to are:

– Trek DS 8.5
      – Cannondale Trail 29er SL2
      – Trek GF Mamba

A couple things that differentiate these bikes are the suspension fork and the components. The 8.5 has a Suntour fork (63mm) but has better Shimano SLX components, while the Cannondale has a RockShox Recon Silver (100mm) with SRAM X5. The GF Mamba has RockShox and Shimano but not SLX like the 8.5 DS. I think I know the answer to my question, which would be to get a true 29er over the DS, my concern comes down to the components as well. I know nothing of SRAM and most of my LBS try to steer clear of them for various reasons. I could always upgrade the fork on the DS which would bring it into the price range of the Cannondale but I wouldn’t have the ability to put a 29×2.1" tire on due to the frame.

I guess it comes down to Cannondale versus Trek and SRAM versus Shimano. I’m just hoping some folks experienced with any of these brands can help guide me in my decision :-)

Thanks in advance!!
      Joe

The only SLX part on the Trek is the rear derailleur. Shifter and front derailleur are Deore, crank and brakes are non-series komponents. The fork… Suntour… 63mm travel….

The Mamba has the same brakes, the other components are from a lower level then the DS components. Don’t know the fork.

The Cannondale has a complete X5 drivetrain, which is at the same level as the Deore stuff and way better fork and brakes. SRAM or Shimano is like Apple or Windows….

Thanks Olly!! Didn’t even realize the DS only had SLX in the rear. It sounds like your thinking the Cannondale may be the better bike given the better shock and components? Like I said, all three felt pretty good on the test drive…the Cannondale is at the top of the range…any thoughts on their frame over the Trek G2 frame?

"jsm0372" wrote

It sounds like your thinking the Cannondale may be the better bike given the better shock and components?

I can’t say if it is the better bike for you, but it’s the best by looking at the partlist. I guess it will be the most expensive one too?

"ollysj" wrote

I can’t say if it is the better bike for you, but it’s the best by looking at the partlist. I guess it will be the most expensive one too?

Yep, the Cannondale is the pricier one of the bunch at $1280…The Trek Mamba is the cheapest at around $850. The Mamba has the G2 geometry and has an entry level RS XC32 shock. I’m thinking I can get the Mamba and upgrade the important components as needed and maybe stay below $1200. Maybe change out the drive train first? My research leads me to believe the Trek geometry is better and riding both bikes felt comfortable but these were short test drives on pavement too :-)

Appreciate the input and additional advice :-)

Also doesnt the DS come with skinnier tires. Its more of a crossover bike? I think the Cobia(Trek) should also be in this price range unless the dicontinued it for this year.

Also doesnt the DS come with skinnier tires. Its more of a crossover bike? I think the Cobia(Trek) should also be in this price range unless the dicontinued it for this year.

DS= Dual Sports

@jsm0372

3 years ago I bought a GF Marlin and did basicly what you say. Even if it came with a Deore drivetrain (except the crank) I upgraded it after the 1st season to XT/SLX. The Dart3 fork, was replaced by a used Recon etc. I always watched for good deals on the web

"ollysj" wrote

@jsm0372

3 years ago I bought a GF Marlin and did basicly what you say. Even if it came with a Deore drivetrain (except the crank) I upgraded it after the 1st season to XT/SLX. The Dart3 fork, was replaced by a used Recon etc. I always watched for good deals on the web

What’s the typical cost of upgrading to XT/SLX?

It’s hard to say exactly, but if you keep an eye on craigslist, ebay and online retailer sale prices…you can do it pretty reasonably.

What maddslacker says. Just take you time, the bike will work with those parts.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.