Annoying Issue when reinstalling front tire

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I have two different racks…a hitch mounted platform that holds four and works great when the whole family is going for a ride. But the one i use most often Is the fork mounted rack in my truck bed. This one is perfect for when its just the wife and i or just solo. The only issue is that i almost always do battle for a few minutes when reinstalling the front tire. Whenever i tighten and close the QR lever, the rotor seems to get pulled off center from the caliper. So i mess around with the tightness and eventually just hold the tire steady while closing it again and eventually the rotor stays center and no rubbing. This isnt a huge issue but there has to be an easier way as it has taken up to 5min to get going. Maybe its a newbie thing Or perhaps im missing something easy. Would certainly appreciate any tips on this.

When I install the front tires on my bikes, they always line up perfect every time. It sounds like your bike has something that is loose. Check for loose wheel spokes, or rotor bolts, or caliper bolts…

Check if your front skewer is bent slightly, that’s a pretty common problem, and it can cause the symptoms you’re seeing.

A replacement skewer from Salsa, KCNC or Loaded Precision is a nice upgrade that won’t break the bank.

If the skewer is not the issue, next check that the rotor is not warped.

ive had the same problem recently and i finally got it straight then it rubbed in the turns made a zing zing noise but never rubbed going straight but anyways my bike needs a good tune up so ill find out…if i recall if you tie a rubber band around the front brake handle with the brakes applied then u loosen then retighten the caliper bolts to aline the caliper?

"lovemountainbiking12" wrote

ive had the same problem recently and i finally got it straight then it rubbed in the turns made a zing zing noise but never rubbed going straight but anyways my bike needs a good tune up so ill find out…if i recall if you tie a rubber band around the front brake handle with the brakes applied then u loosen then retighten the caliper bolts to aline the caliper?

Your issue sounds like the front hub needs to be tightened.

"lovemountainbiking12" wrote

Already realigned the caliper. Its good to go again.
      I spoke with my LBS. i didnt buy the bikes from them but he said he would take a look and if its an issue with the brakes (Tektro) he said he would try to get them cover any warranty issues if needed since its not even 4mo. I may take him up on that one of these days.
      Im just going to use my platform rack for now. Sometimes i get too OCD for my own good.

CP1

It sounds as if the 10mm hollow axle (the axle in the hub itself that the QR skewer slides into) is not sitting correctly into the forks drop-outs when you tighten the wheel onto the fork which will cause the rotor to not be aligned correctly (even minutely) or even the wheel not being in alignment as well (even if minutely). Make sure you seat the wheel into the forks drops-outs slowly and push down somewhat firmly as you tighten the QR skewers. I have had this happen to me a few times with either the front and rear wheel , and since I switched over to 20mm axles on all my bikes, I never had that issue again with the fork. Rarely does it happen with the rear wheel with the QR skewers, but it does happen.

Worst comes to worst, if not the above, which i doubt by what I have read here, it could quite possibly be something wrong with the hub cones as well, which is an easy fix or replacement.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="lovemountainbiking12":1jioam4a]ive had the same problem recently and i finally got it straight then it rubbed in the turns made a zing zing noise but never rubbed going straight but anyways my bike needs a good tune up so ill find out…if i recall if you tie a rubber band around the front brake handle with the brakes applied then u loosen then retighten the caliper bolts to aline the caliper?

Your issue sounds like the front hub needs to be tightened.[/quote:1jioam4a]

ya its been tightened once before

I dropped her off at my LBS today for a tune up and mentioned this issue as well so they can check it out. i messed around with it quite a bit and couldn’t get it right. will see what they say. i also took a nasty hit at Carter this week that has now caused my left pedal clicks when i stand up so they are checking that out as well…its always something! but i am learning so as i continue on and make fewer mistakes, i am hoping these little issues will also become less and less.
      This pedal issue really bothers me though because the morning of that ride, i reminded my wife to keep an eye on how she positions her feet as we go between rocks and high roots. oh well. live and learn.

think so, i continue on and make fewer mistakes, i am hoping these little issues will also become less and less. Image

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.