Anniston, Alabama area gunning for MTB mecca status

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Anniston, AL / Calhoun County is home to the Chief Ladiga and Pinhoti trails and the city is planning to build a new trail on top of Coldwater Mountain. Will it be enough to attract more mountain bikers to Anniston/Calhoun County? I’m certainly curious…

http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story … e=1st_left

"trek7k" wrote

Anniston, AL / Calhoun County is home to the Chief Ladiga and Pinhoti trails and the city is planning to build a new trail on top of Coldwater Mountain. Will it be enough to attract more mountain bikers to Anniston/Calhoun County? I’m certainly curious…

http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story … e=1st_left

Alabama, that’s not too far! But from the sounds of the article, the people in that community are a little confused about how to go about that themselves. I really hope the mountain bike community can make their voices heard, as mountain bikers are a demographic that WILL travel to ride and WILL spend some money while they’re there.

I was thinking about it the last time I traveled to a new trail. I’m probably one of the stingiest mtbers when I travel, but mainly out of necessity. Frugal would be a better word I guess. Still, when I’m in town, I may buy a tank of gas or two, go to the local grocery store, maybe hit up the McDonalds….
      Multiply that by several thousand & people that spend more money and stay longer…. and there you go!

I read your post regarding Anniston and potentially becoming a "mecca" for cycling. I am the director of the cycling events mentioned in the newspaper article link on your post. Thanks for your interest and for taking time to post the info. What is about to happen at Coldwater Mountain in Anniston, AL is amazing. We are in the process of working with IMBA/SORBA to construct what will be 60+ miles of epic single track on this 4000 acre parcel of land. Stay tuned, b/c this is going to be good.

That’s great to hear!

"ColdwaterMountain" wrote

I read your post regarding Anniston and potentially becoming a "mecca" for cycling. I am the director of the cycling events mentioned in the newspaper article link on your post. Thanks for your interest and for taking time to post the info. What is about to happen at Coldwater Mountain in Anniston, AL is amazing. We are in the process of working with IMBA/SORBA to construct what will be 60+ miles of epic single track on this 4000 acre parcel of land. Stay tuned, b/c this is going to be good.

Yeah, that’s awesome!

Dangit. Just when I thought I had "My List" made, I have to add another one to it. Sounds great though. 😄

Yea, i’m really excited about them beginning the work. My buddy and I ride up there everyday learning the land really well. There are some very techinical climbs and some great down hill. If anyone ever thinks of stopping in the area let me know i’ll show ya around.

Would make a great addition to the "eastern swing" along with Oak Mountain in Birmingham. That’s a lot of trail, when will parts of it be ridable?

Any word on the status of the Coldwater Mt Trails? I’m ready for some new trails to ride close to home.

Looks like big progress is being made on the new Coldwater mountain bike trails in Alabama. IMBA’s Trail Solutions team is on site this month:

http://www.annistonstar.com/pages/full_ … ntComments

Back in January I got a chance to ride nearby (Choccolocco) and had a blast. There’s obviously a ton of potential for great trails but even more importantly, there seems to be momentum thanks to local organizers. The drive from Atlanta isn’t bad either, will definitely be a great weekend destination if it’s not already!

4000 acres is huge. Just imagine all of the scenery that could be found on 60+ miles of singletrack. It really isn’t all that uncommon to find huge acreage like this in AL. Perphaps we could talk more private landowners into allowing mountainbikers/IMBA to build more EPIC trails. Is there really such a thing as too many great trails in one state?

The Kingdom Trail in Vermont goes thru something like 50 private lands. Yes it is on my to-do list. Would love to see more combined public/private lands to do the same.

At the Southern MTB Summit one of the success stories was Coldwater MTN. Very cool story, can’t wait to go ride there. More details in my day 1 recap here: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ev … mit-day-1/

This is the proposed layout:

Thanks dgaddis!

Very cool proposed layout! 2 gravity zones huh? I don’t need much of an excuse to buy another bike… and that may be just enough of an excuse! Any idea on when parts of the project (any part really) would be rideable? Any ideas who I can contact about volunteering to work on the trail?

"thewhitespot" wrote

Any ideas who I can contact about volunteering to work on the trail?

Not sure when anything will be rideable, my understanding is construction either just started or will start very soon.

The Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association is the volunteer group in charge of Coldwater, and on their site they have a link so you can sign up to volunteer. I’m sure they’d love to have a few extra hands on work days!

Thanks again! All signed up.

Is there any updates on the trail system? Has it started?

New info on the trail system, posted here: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=6850

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.