Android vs Apple and Apps

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Guys! I am ready to buy a new smart phone and need to go ether Android or Apple. I am aware of the regular pros and cons of each. I must also tell u I am leaning to Android right now cuz of its flexibility but what really is going to be the determining factors is which one is going to work better on my bike for what I want.
      I am also aware of the Smartphone weakness as a navigating GPS and bike computer I just need to know which of the phone platform will be better NOT between phone and dedicated GPS and cycle computer. Here are my priorities in order:
      1 GPS signal which phone will work better when u lose cell signal having preloaded maps on phone.
      2 Loading tracks to fallow from Singletrack or other sources, Also which are the best apps for this
      3 Best support or selection for sensors like HRM, Cadence and speed( measured at the wheel) Also which are the better apps for this.

1 GPS signal which phone will work better when u lose cell signal having preloaded maps on phone.

Android (Orux Maps)

2 Loading tracks to fallow from Singletrack or other sources, Also which are the best apps for this

Android (Orux Maps)

3 Best support or selection for sensors like HRM, Cadence and speed( measured at the wheel) Also which are the better apps for this.

Either, there’s a pretty good selection for both platforms now.

Also, many Android phones have removeable batteries so you can bring a spare and swap it in for longer trips. Ask mtbgreg1 about haw well that works for iPhone. 😆

I’ve found my iPhone 4s to have pretty awesome GPS reception… better than some dedicated GPS units.

As for which apps work best for offline map usage, Singletracks.com has the largest mountain bike trail map database in the world, and with the brand-new features in the latest version of our app, you can have offline access to those maps and track your progress on the map as you ride the trail. With these changes, I think the Singletracks app might become my one-stop MTB app shop!

Re: battery: sure you can switch batteries out on the trail, but if you’re tracking GPS, how likely are you to manually switch batteries? And if you do that out on the trail, you’d have to turn off your phone and interrupt your GPS tracking, and then reboot the phone. Consequently, it seems like running an external battery on long rides would be easiest, and iPhones can do that just fine.

Also, here’s another good app for MTB ride tracking and offline maps (but the maps aren’t as good as Singletracks’):
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/gps/mo … runtastic/

Orux maps prompts for the option to resume tracking where it left off, if it was interrupted for any reason (like a battery swap)

External re-chargers are a good option as well.

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will start with an IPhone for a bit c if I like it.

You guys should make a Singletracks app for Windows Phone.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.