Am I crazy forwanting to do this?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Quick note: I haven’t been on here much because I flipped to the dark side (roadbiking) Don’t worry I still do both, but being here at school with one of the best cycling teams in the country and HHH…it’s hard not to get into it 😀

I still enjoy mtn biking it is my first love, but from a fitness aspect, getting out and riding the local trail is hard on a multi x per week basis.

Anyway point is, I have a 09 Giant Boulder SE. Nothing special, basic hardtail. 100mm fork, aluminum frame, double side wall rims, v brakes. All the necessities but nothing extra.

I got some metal platforms rather than the factory plastic ones to help shed mud, and they work great, but I am sick of my foot slipping off and having the pedal pierce my calf. Am I crazy for wanting to put clips on this bike? Is it worth it? After riding clipped in on my road bike, it is so much more efficient and if it’s not to strong on the mtn bike, I feel like I could still get out if I had to bail.

Or, would some cycling specific shoes help the platform situation (rather than tennis shoes)? I don’t mind getting a little banged up, but the piercing thigh pain is getting kinda old.

Thoughts?

The train is leaving the station without you…

[url:2fcd7lbm]http://forums.singletracks.com/viewtopic.php?p=8616[/url:2fcd7lbm]

[url:2fcd7lbm]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/tag/buyers-guide/[/url:2fcd7lbm]

[url:2fcd7lbm]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/the-clipless-pedal-debate-rages-on/[/url:2fcd7lbm]

Hey USAFbiker,I am a platform only user,meaning I have never clipped into a set of clippless pedals even though they are more efficiant for pedaling and some riders use clippless because it keeps their feet connected to the pedals and whatever other reasons they think warrent useing clippless.I don’t knock the reasoning at all whatever makes them think they need clippless,more power to em.I am use to platforms,I have used platforms since childhood BMX days,I have learned how to keep my feet on the platform pedal in technical rock gardens,I have learned get as much pedaling efficiancy as possible useing stiction from pedal to shoe,I am at the point where I actually let the traction pins in the pedals wear down so my shoe rubber is the only thing mechanically keeping my shoes connected to the pedal besides just clinging to the bike and pedals like a bull rider.It feels good to me,I like that feeling of trumping the mechanics and using pure human physical finess and muscle to aquire the desired form and function.Are you crazy for thinking about using platforms,not in my book,hahahahhhaa.But I think there is a pretty big differance between hard core platfform users and anyone who uses clippless at all,it just bolis down to how much you really want to keep learning and using both disiplines.Don’t get me wrong,I may or may not make the switch to clippless myself one day,its just that I have such a long record of being a platform user,I just don’t feel like giving them up yet.On another note,if you race(which I don’t)you will want to use clippless right??Well I say if you don’t race your mountain bike or just feel like using platforms then go for it..

Ha most def don’t race. Just a weekend rider on trails. TX has no elevation, no crazy DH or anything. Just riding, enjoying the scenery etc.

I guess more what I am asking for is input from anyone who has switched from platform or back and forth etc.

Also when I ride, I wear old tennis shoes…If I invested in some shoes that are "meant" for mtn biking, would this help?

When I first started riding clipped, I was curling my toes in my shoes and had tons of toe-in (pointing feet downward) because I was so used to riding my platform pedals and trying to hold on.

My feet slip off a lot. That is my main concern, not so much an efficiency argument or perspective of it. And are there other options besides clip pedals that would remedy this problem?

Thanks for the input and the links, I’ll check them out.

This has been discussed a bajillion times.

Clipless pedals are better than platforms for xc riding. Period. There’s a reason so many people use them. The people that don’t use them are just afraid or ignorant.

Even if you can ride platforms and keep your feet on the pedals, it’s not the same. It takes effort to do so, effort that you could be using to make the bike move forward faster. And you’ll never get the same pedaling efficiency.

For XC riding: clipless pedals > platform pedals

(I BMXed a lot back in the day, so I know how to use platforms. But I know better for mtn biking)

"dgaddis" wrote

This has been discussed a bajillion times.

Clipless pedals are better than platforms for xc riding. Period. There’s a reason so many people use them. [color=#FF8040:yw8pmwxs]The people that don’t use them are just afraid or ignorant[/color:yw8pmwxs].

Even if you can ride platforms and keep your feet on the pedals, it’s not the same. It takes effort to do so, effort that you could be using to make the bike move forward faster. And you’ll never get the same pedaling efficiency.

For XC riding: clipless pedals > platform pedals

(I BMXed a lot back in the day, so I know how to use platforms. But I know better for mtn biking)

I feel thats an unfair statement. Preference isnt ingorance IMO. I use clipless and Im comfortable doing so. I still tackle trails with platforms though. Its just preference for a certain trail.

I know way more riders that ride clipless for XC than those who use platforms. For me I like the clipless because it makes me feel more connected to my bike and I get better efficiency when pedaling which is crucial for long climbs. I would definitely recommend going clipless.

Roadbiker?? I guess you have to know your limitations. -Dirty Harry

I will def look into getting some then. Because I ride the bike for errands and what not also, I will problem get some of the double usage ones.

Also this terminology is confusing, "clipless" would mean "without clips" ie platforms. Yet people seem to refer to clip in pedals as clipless and platforms as platforms? I guess I’m crazy.

And I am certainly not arguing the efficiency standpoint. I can tell just going from it to my road bike and back and forth how inefficient it is.

Clipless in the cycling world means a clip that partially clips,as long as your shoe faces forward it will act like a clip until you turn you foot to the side is when it becomes clippless,I know you understand and know this although it used to confuse me even though I understood it,I just needed to remember that it is a cycling slang term and that if they were clip pedals then a rider could not unclip unless he unscrewed or unbolted his shoe from the pedal. 💡

My feet slip off a lot. That is my main concern, not so much an efficiency argument or perspective of it. And are there other options besides clip pedals that would remedy this problem?

If your feet are slipping off your pedals uncontrolably,then I would suggest getting some clippless pedals,or you could get some of those toe cages,they would deffianatly help keep your feet on the platforms a lot better.There is still a chance you could pull your foot out backwards though,the only way to totally avoid your feet coming off is clippless.I had toe clips on my first mtn bike,gave them a chance but it didn’t take long before I unscrewed them and just used the platforms.

Yeah I didn’t mean to start a debate over clippless vs. Platform,just trying to help with your dilema of what’s involved with sticking with the platforms,just trying to be a good ambasador for the platform pedals. 😄

"GoldenGoose" wrote

The train is leaving the station without you…

[url:2qryxdg0]http://forums.singletracks.com/viewtopic.php?p=8616[/url:2qryxdg0]

[url:2qryxdg0]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/tag/buyers-guide/[/url:2qryxdg0]

[url:2qryxdg0]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/the-clipless-pedal-debate-rages-on/[/url:2qryxdg0]

LOL yes!! 😆 😆 😆

Good one GG

I have a question regarding this also. How hard is it to unclip, say in a "oh shit" situation? Now in my 2nd year back on the bike, I am getting a little faster, and have noticed my feet slipping around a lot on roots and in some of the rock gardens. Been thinking about some clippers but been hesitant just cause I am un-informed! Are they like ski bindings, where you can adjust the tension?

"mnetz" wrote

I have a question regarding this also. How hard is it to unclip, say in a "oh shit" situation? Now in my 2nd year back on the bike, I am getting a little faster, and have noticed my feet slipping around a lot on roots and in some of the rock gardens. Been thinking about some clippers but been hesitant just cause I am un-informed! Are they like ski bindings, where you can adjust the tension?

Yes, exactly! There are screws that allow you to adjust how tough it is to clip in and out. Getting in and out becomes a natural reaction with practice, and I rarely fail to unclip when I need to.

"mnetz" wrote

That depends on what brand/model you get, but most are very adjustable. You can set them up so that with the slightest twist you unclip. Also you can get pedals that are platforms on one side and clipless on the other. I used a pair of these for about 6 months before I went fully clipless. It helped me get used to riding and let me use the platforms when I wasn’t confident in my ability to unclip if I needed to bail.

Clipless pedals are awesome on the road as well as on the trail.

I know you’re not interested in the efficiency, but you’re also less likely to loose your footing in a corner. I definitely feel more connected to my bikes when I’m riding them.

That said, I’m not so connected that I feel trapped. When I’ve crashed on my road bike (not my fault, it was a van…), my feet popped out without thinking. When I’ve needed to unclip on my mountain bike, it happens without thinking. When I crashed on a trail (this time, it was my fault – inexperienced road biker playing on trails…well, that and a nasty root on a corner), my feet popped right out as I landed.

Once you’re used to clipless pedals, it’s effortless to unclip with a good pedal. And yeah, the ‘clipless’ term doesn’t make sense until you remember that they come from the toe clips that everyone used to have on their bikes in the old days. Talk about your feet being trapped if you don’t have the right setup.

FTR, I’m riding Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. They allow some freedom of movement, and they’re easy in/easy out.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. Just responding to a lot of different bits in this thread.

as another benefit, I find that I smack rocks much less often than my coworkers that use platforms. There is just less bulk with clipless pedals than with platforms. It’s much easier to ride technical trail sections while clipped in too IMHO.

This past weekend I purchased some shoes and pedals! I am sold! I took it easy for a while, but once I was feeling comfortable, I was really impressed with the control you do have! Hitting jumps is so much more fun! Not having to squeeze the seat with your thighs to keep the bike under ya is great! I was hitting anything in my path to catch air rather than becoming cautious wondering if its going to buck my feet right off the pedals and I will lose control, or have another part of the anatomy land before my feet do! 😆
      My wife wasn’t to happy that I spent $200.00, but she is ok now! 😀

just FTR, you should never have to squeeze the seat with your thight riding clipless or platforms….

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.