alternating 26er and 29er

Tagged: ,

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone switch between a 26er and 29er on a regular basis? I am thinking about getting a new 26er and routinely switch between the two sizes. I was riding my old Wal-Mart Mongoose and noticed how more dominant I was riding on 26s again. I figure I could really tear up some technical trails riding on 26s again especially if I bought a lighter 26er, because I would never take my Wal-Mart bike on serious riding. I was wondering if anyone had issues switching between the two sizes.

I have a 26er and am hoping to have a 29er soon…so we’ll see how it goes.

I have two riding buddies who routinely switch between the two, just to mix it up.

Ride the 29er solo, longer rides, and for races. Ride the 26 with the wife, mellow rides… really so I don’t cruise away from her on the big wheels. But the major differences when riding (both Treks – HiFi and 4300) are shifting, one is Sram the other Shimano so triggers are set up differently, and handle bars. The 29er had much wider with a back swoop to them so the initial transition on the 26 feels tight. But that goes away in just a couple pedal strokes.

I like the idea of switching it up. I went on a ride with 11 y/o son and didn’t realized how far I was ahead of him on my 29er. The pedal strokes were effortless and I was gone "whoops, sorry son"

Isn’t switching 26er to 29er and back kinda like dating your wife and x-wife? Just asking. 😄 Later,

More like using different positions with the same wife…

Then you need a 69er. 29 front 26 rear. Guess you thought I has getting kinky didn’t you? 😛 Later,

No comment. 😳

I’ve got a 29er HT, but all of my bikes with serious suspension are 26".

And Maddslacker, you were the one that mentioned different positions….. 😉

😆 😆 😆 I forgot about the 69er, maybe I can throw that into the rotation

But Fat Billy went and got specific! LOL

"maddslacker" wrote

But Fat Billy went and got specific! LOL

Haha true dat!

Sat it Goo(oops) mtbgreg1. 😄 Later,

different positions, 69er, Goo, Where is this thread going?

"brianW" wrote

different positions, 69er, Goo, Where is this thread going?

I didn’t do it, it was maddslacker and fat billy!!!! 😮

"jmr4400" wrote

😆 😆 😆 I forgot about the 69er, maybe I can throw that into the rotation

Wife or the bike??????????????? 😆

There are always details isn’t it? 😄 Later,

Spam :?: 😆 😆 😆

Yep. Have a Single Speed hard tail 29er that I bought for non climbing trails and riding with the kids so they can pull me around the trail instead of me having to wait for them. Ride my Full Suspension 26er on all the technical stuff and the climbing stuff. It’s a really great combo. I always feel stronger on the 26er after riding the single speed. Probably mental, but whatever. It [i:209ahds8]is[/i:209ahds8] weird changing from one to the other. But really it’s a non-issue, takes like a couple of minutes to get past. If you can make it work with the budget it’s worth it. The 29er is pretty cool, I am happy I got it even if the wife isn’t so thrilled. 😈

"trnsprt" wrote

Yep. Have a Single Speed hard tail 29er that I bought for non climbing trails and riding with the kids so they can pull me around the trail instead of me having to wait for them. Ride my Full Suspension 26er on all the technical stuff and the climbing stuff. It’s a really great combo. I always feel stronger on the 26er after riding the single speed. Probably mental, but whatever. It [i:19uknry5]is[/i:19uknry5] weird changing from one to the other. But really it’s a non-issue, takes like a couple of minutes to get past. If you can make it work with the budget it’s worth it. The 29er is pretty cool, I am happy I got it even if the wife isn’t so thrilled. 😈

Dude, your avatar is awesome!

Thanks. It was a fortunate crash in that I didn’t get hurt or taco the front wheel. And the photog was there at just the right moment and captured the entire sequence. It’s a funny keep sake to have.

Can we get an animated gif of the whole sequence? 😼

[url:3vd64yie]http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd414/Tom_Mabrey/[/url:3vd64yie]

😆

Perfect!!

Will it work as your avatar? (With the animation)

Nah, I tried it. They use a web site called gravatar.com for the avatars. I tried to embed it in the post but that doesn’t seem to work either. Someone smarter may be able to figure out how to make it work on the site.

"trnsprt" wrote

[url:236x2spg]http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd414/Tom_Mabrey/[/url:236x2spg]

😆

Score!

Glad you weren’t seriously hurt

Yup:

I ride both:
      Redline 26er rigid singlespeed
      Redline 29er rigid singlespeed

I find I’m used to the ride each provides and the difference isn’t that much, as I tend to carry the front wheel over holes on the 26er and just unweight a bit on the 29er. The 26er is much more flickable in apexes of turns yet the 29er is more stable.

Both fun!

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.