almost time for new tires……

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone have any advice on what kind of tires I should look into?? I have a 09 Specialized XC Pro with the stock Specialized Captians (26") that came with it. The rear tire is begining to get pretty low as far as tread. The trail conditions are mostly hard packed clay type dirt down here with a very loose powdery type that builds up on the tighter turns. I also just ride around on the pavement when I cant really make it out to the trail just to get a ride in.

Thanks!!

If you’re looking for something similar to the Captains (fast and light) I’d recommend the Kenda Small Block 8‘s (or the SB8 for short). They’re really light, roll really fast, and grip a lot better than most people think (lots of working edges). They’re not the best choice for really rocky terrain because the sidewalls are thin (which makes them light), but it doesn’t sound like you’re riding in a rocky area. I had a set on my Giant Anthem for well over a year, converted to tubeless using a Stans kit, and had no problems. I like the 2.35" width – more volume means you can get away with less air pressure for more traction and comfort.

Lots of people like the Kenda Karma as well, but I haven’t tried them yet.

On my 29er I have a 2.1" Small Block 8 (largest size offered for 29" wheels) in the back and recently put a 2.55" WTB Weirwolf LT in the front. The Weirwolf is a good alternative if you want something wider than the SB8’s. I think the SB8 grips a little better, but there just isn’t a wide enough version in the 29er for me. I’ve got a rigid bike, so my only cushioning comes from the tires, so I like the widest tire I can get in the front.

None of those are great in wet conditions. From my limited experience with the Weirwolf, I’d say the SB8 is [i:3ul7w4gw]slightly [/i:3ul7w4gw]better in wet/muddy conditions. But it’s not a huge difference. The Weirwolf has thicker sidewalls, so it’s heavier, but also more durable. I never had any isues with my Kenda’s though.

Thanks. There are no rocky areas down here locally and it hardly ever rains so I think I think I will look into the tires you suggested. Are there any of these that will help with punctures? Almost everything that grows down here has some sort of thorn on it. I understand that all tires can be punctured but are there any that will help out abit? Are they worth it? I am already running liners between he tube and tire.

Thanks Again!!

I would really suggest going tubeless. Get a conversion kit from Stans (aka NoTubes – http://www.notubes.com/tubeless_system.php?cPath=21_58 )

Any punctures you do get the Stans will seal them up. You’ll also be able to run lower pressure, which means more comfort, grip, and less rolling resistance.

I’m not gonna lie – it is a PITA to set them up. You’ll probably need an air compressor.

Or, you could also just put some Stans sealant into the tubes. That will seal punctures, but it wont give you the advantage of using lower tire pressure, because if you pinch flat the sealant wont do you any good.

Thanks for your help!!!

Let us know what you try and how you like it!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.