Aiborne Guardian

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Ok so here is the deal. I really like this bike from the reviews and some extensive research and am thinking about making the purchase. I am currently riding a giant revel 2 which i figure isn’t really really worth investing in a ton of upgrades. It is an alright bike and i have fun with it. However i really really want a 29er and when i got the revel a couple years ago i didn’t have the money and also somehow missed the Airborne bikes. Obviously i would immediately be putting different tires on the Guardian since the Kenda small block 8s that come with it would get me near dead on the first ride here in arkansas. What i’m wanting to know is if this bike would be worth buying and then upgrading over time. I know it weighs a lot compared to higher end bikes but i don’t see myself ever getting to the point that weight is a super big deal for me. I will probably eventually do some local races just for the experience not because i want to win. I ride because it is fun not because i have to be king of the trail or post bad ass strava times.

I can’t comment on the Airborne you are looking at, but I do have an Airborne road bike, which I have had for quite a while. I would say that it is a good platform to upgrade, especially for the price. They make solid stuff, IMO.

"Korvyn" wrote

Ok so here is the deal. I really like this bike from the reviews and some extensive research and am thinking about making the purchase. I am currently riding a giant revel 2 which i figure isn’t really really worth investing in a ton of upgrades. It is an alright bike and i have fun with it. However i really really want a 29er and when i got the revel a couple years ago i didn’t have the money and also somehow missed the Airborne bikes. Obviously i would immediately be putting different tires on the Guardian since the Kenda small block 8s that come with it would get me near dead on the first ride here in arkansas. What i’m wanting to know is if this bike would be worth buying and then upgrading over time. I know it weighs a lot compared to higher end bikes but i don’t see myself ever getting to the point that weight is a super big deal for me. I will probably eventually do some local races just for the experience not because i want to win. I ride because it is fun not because i have to be king of the trail or post bad ass strava times.

I think you just answered your own question.

yeah after rereading my post when i was a wee bit more sober i seem to have answered the question myself. Just got a bit more to save up and then i will be purchasing one of these.

So i sent Airborne an email about the guardian cause through research i found a couple concerns. on of which is the FD mount is a low mount and would rub the tires if they had a very aggressive tread. While i know the answer i asked them if it was possible to get the from the factory with a 2×10 i got thise in reply:

AirborneSupport <[email protected]>
      10:18 AM (8 hours ago)

to me
      Hi,

I am sorry we are not going to offer the Guardian in that set up.. but we are in a few months going to have a 2×10 X5 bike with nicer shock and it will be priced at just under 1,000.00. it’s called the Seeker.

so i may hold off a couple months and see what the specs are gonna be on the seeker.

Well that’s interesting. Can’t wait to find out more about the new model 😃

I have always liked Airborne bikes. Now I am really looking forward to seeing the "Seeker".

I love their business model but almost all their rides are 29" which I don’t have any interest in. I would have bought one if they had rocked some FS 26" bikes as the price would have been comparable to my used Yukon that I ended up buying.

"schwim" wrote

I love their business model but almost all their rides are 29" which I don’t have any interest in. I would have bought one if they had rocked some FS 26" bikes as the price would have been comparable to my used Yukon that I ended up buying.

😈 29"er = win 😆

"craigasaurus" wrote

😈 29"er = win 😆

We should totally start a thread about which wheel size is better.

"schwim" wrote

[quote="craigasaurus":3d8yw9xa] 😈 29"er = win 😆

We should totally start a thread about which wheel size is better.[/quote:3d8yw9xa]

DO IT

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="schwim":ts24np2v][quote="craigasaurus":ts24np2v] 😈 29"er = win 😆

We should totally start a thread about which wheel size is better.[/quote:ts24np2v]

DO IT[/quote:ts24np2v]

Don’t rush me. I’m proofreading my "Flats vs. Clipless" starter topic and will get started on the "Why 26" wheels are the best size in the whole wide world, regardless of your needs and personal preference" right after.

"schwim" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":2jkc8pk1][quote="schwim":2jkc8pk1]

DO IT[/quote:2jkc8pk1]

Don’t rush me. I’m proofreading my "Flats vs. Clipless" starter topic and will get started on the "Why 26" wheels are the best size in the whole wide world, regardless of your needs and personal preference" right after.[/quote:2jkc8pk1]

You know, quality threads take time to germinate and grow before they fully blossom into true artistic creations

"schwim" wrote

27.5 is the best. Duh. 😼

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="schwim":1rxvnq7k]

27.5 is the best. Duh. 😼[/quote:1rxvnq7k]

Lies!

Everyone knows it’s 60 inch.

"schwim" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":3igds08r][quote="schwim":3igds08r]

DO IT[/quote:3igds08r]

Don’t rush me. I’m proofreading my "Flats vs. Clipless" starter topic and will get started on the "Why 26" wheels are the best size in the whole wide world, regardless of your needs and personal preference" right after.[/quote:3igds08r]
      Oh dear lord… 😄

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.