aggressive hardtail frame?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum aggressive hardtail frame?

--
SHARES

• Author

I just posted in another thread about a dent in the frame of my current rig. I’m hoping I won’t have issues in continuing to ride it, but if I can’t I will likely just strip all components off the frame and rebuild. I currently ride a 2015 transition transam (upgraded every component except the pike fork). What would be some good potential frame build options with the following musts?

-non boost / 29er (thru axle)

-modern geo (“do it all hard tail”)

-horizontal dropouts (I ride SS locally in Charlotte, but throw gears on when I head to Pisgah)

-Steel or carbon (not totally against a knock off Chinese carbon frame if anyone has had good experiences with those?)

Are there any modern geometry 29 HTs without boost?

my current frame (transition transam) is. my wheels and fork are non boost so would be ideal to just put on a new frame. That’s why I’m asking what’s out there.

You could always use a boost frame with a conversion kit on the rear wheel.

I think the Octame One Prone and NS Eccentric are both still non boost. NS available in steel.

If you can accept that it’s not steel or carbon, the Salsa Timberjack fits everything else you want.

The Alternator drop outs can take basically every standard (except the pure evil that is “super boost”).  They can adjust chain stay length…

beyond that, maybe a Santa Cruz Carbon Chameleon.  I think they have non boost dropouts.

I like the geo of the Norco Torrent and the Specialized Fuze.  However, they both have boosted frames and would need a conversion kit.

@nikofraser: “my current frame (transition transam) is. my wheels and fork are non boost so would be ideal to just put on a new frame. That’s why I’m asking what’s out there”

2015 is not a modern frame. Nothing was Boost at that point save maybe some Trek bikes (they invented it). If you are dead set (you should not be, but more on that in a second) on non-Boost then you’ll be buying used. A fantastic used hardtail that would be non-boost would be a Kona Honzo through ’15. Good luck finding one as they are coveted. Honestly your best bet is to buy a Boost hardtail frame, get a $20 conversion kit and ride on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.