After wreck-Damaged bike & help is needed !!!!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Guys I did something stupid. When I set up my cockpit I forgot to chech the clearance of my controls to my top tube. Long story short I took a rough spill last night and put a small gouge in my top tube. Do you think I just trashed my frame or do you think it will be ok. I’m going to take it to my LBS and have them look at it- just wanted some help with this. The gouge is on the side and the line is just scraped paint with no damage to the very top of the tube.

What is the frame made of? Doest look bad enough to trash the frame. 😄 Later,

It’s an aluminum frame. I didn’t think it’s trash but wanted opinions. As a Quality Manager it’s all about numbers. What % of material reduction until it’s no longer structurally sound. I just don’t have those numbers and doubt anyone at Giant would give them to me due to liability issues.

How exactly did your controls bash your frame?

When he wrecked, his bars spun around almost 180 degrees and I would guess his brake lever caught the frame. I’ve done the same thing to one of my bikes. Ruined the lever.

The scratch isn’t an issue but that gouge kinda looks deep from the angle.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

When he wrecked, his bars spun around almost 180 degrees and I would guess his brake lever caught the frame. I’ve done the same thing to one of my bikes. Ruined the lever.

The scratch isn’t an issue but that gouge kinda looks deep from the angle.

Gotcha, guess the bars & levers must have been pretty low.

Yeah- my brake lever hit the top tube. My set up is slammed but still has the spacers. I just inverted the riser for more aggressive Riding position and also added flat bar. The gouge is about 2 mm wide and 1mm deep. If it is deemed unsound I’ll probably have my shop heliarc weld it if possible.

"cubanchurchill" wrote

If it is deemed unsound I’ll probably have my shop heliarc weld it if possible.

A buddy of my cracked his old aluminum Trek frame at the seat tube. He talked to a local bike builder and a couple of shops and they wouldn’t touch it. He did get it welded by a neighbor (who knows zero about the structural integrity of bikes) and doesn’t ride it any more. If the bike pros determine yours is trashed, you might want to think twice about welding it and taking it back on the trail.

Good luck though. I hope it turns out to be superficial.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="cubanchurchill":94omilyh] If it is deemed unsound I’ll probably have my shop heliarc weld it if possible.

A buddy of my cracked his old aluminum Trek frame at the seat tube. He talked to a local bike builder and a couple of shops and they wouldn’t touch it. He did get it welded by a neighbor (who knows zero about the structural integrity of bikes) and doesn’t ride it any more. If the bike pros determine yours is trashed, you might want to think twice about welding it and taking it back on the trail.

Good luck though. I hope it turns out to be superficial.[/quote:94omilyh]

Thanks Fleetwood and I’ll be sure to ask them about weld repair before being done. It might come down to lesson learned about control placement and I wasn’t hurt other than missing some skin. If needed I’ll replace the frame. Safety first 😃

I bet it’s okay. It’s in a low stress area. The sides of the frame tubes see very little stress compared to the tops and bottoms. And, it’s not really close to a weld (which is a high stress area).

Do NOT weld it, that’ll create a stress riser a new heat effected zone, both of which weaken the material. Aluminum has to be heat treated after welding or it’s super brittle and cracks easily.

Get it checked out by the local shop for sure, but I’d guess it’s okay.

Aluminum? Just ride it, watch it but ride it. 😄 Later,

If it turns out to be cosmetic only, you can always cover it with a Singletracks sticker.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.