Affordable 29er w/great performance: New Airborne Goblin

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Affordable 29er w/great performance: New Airborne Goblin

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

We have a lot of people that drop in here asking for advice for buying a bike on a budget, and others just asking for advice on buying 29ers. Well here’s a bike that offers both great value and great performance.

I’ve ridden the previous version of the Airborne Goblin for over a year and a half and it has performed excellently for such an affordable bike! This new version of the Goblin, which is going to retail for an amazing $1200, has some great upgrades from the previous version that I called for in my own review of the Goblin. The most important of which (in my opinion) are:

[list=3:57yyw2jp]-100 mm fork (increased from 80 mm)
      -Increased rear tire clearance
      -Tapered Headtube[/list:o:57yyw2jp]

Here’s the official product description from Airborne:
      http://www.airbornebicycles.com/product … oblin.aspx

When we introduced the Goblin last year, we knew we had a winner on our hands almost immediately. The praise that the Goblin received from magazines, blogs, forums, and customers has been overwhelming, as have the sales. The Goblin has been our darling bike here at Airborne as its success made us feel like we’d finally "arrived".

Several months back we started the discussion of what we were going to do for a new Goblin. How could we top what we did in the midst of rising industry and raw material costs? Would the new Goblin be as great of a bike and offer the same or better value? Would we keep the green color? To answer those questions we took a hard look at what made the Goblin great and what areas needed some slight tweaking.

After months of hard work, sleepless nights, and ride testing we are pleased to introduce the new Airborne Goblin. We’ve kept the same formula as the last Goblin in regards to the 6000 series Aluminum frame, the bulletproof X7 2×10 complete groupset and the workhorse Reba RL fork. However, we’ve also made some changes that improve an already great bike:

FRAME: Tapered HT with increased rear wheel mud clearance, increased standover clearance on the 16" frame-size.

Tapered Reba RL fork with increased 100mm travel

Larger 180mm rotor up front for increased stopping power and fade resistance

New 38/24 gearing on the all new SRAM X7 crankset that offers a better gear range for climbing paired to an 11-36 cassette.

Geax AKA 2.2 tires that roll fast on hardpack and offer outstanding grip on loose and rocky terrain

New Selle San Marco Ponza Power Saddle

Finally, the most important thing: we managed to do this all for a price of $1199. That’s only $50 more than the past Goblin in spite of rising industry costs!

We are doing a full production run of the new Goblin in Mid-August with them expected to be in the warehouse and ready to ship the second week of September.

For a limited time we are offering all customers who pre-order their new Goblin free freight; a $75 dollar savings. This is good for any order placed thru August 31st, 2012.

For those of you interested in frame-only’s, don’t despair. We will be offering the Goblin in a frame-only format too. We plan to have the webpage for that up and running soon! Anticipated arrival date for frames is about the same time as the completes in Mid-September.

And Geax AKA tires! 😎

"maddslacker" wrote

And Geax AKA tires! 😎

Yeah I think that will be a great upgrade over the SB8s

…but the new black is kinda boring. the old green goblin has way more character.

So fill us in Greg. Will there be a New Taka?? 😃

"jtorlando25" wrote

So fill us in Greg. Will there be a New Taka?? 😃

Yes, I believe so, but I’m not on the inside anymore so I don’t really have any details. Sorry!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.