advice please

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Same ole question what bike.. iam a 49 year old female 5’8" 185 and maybe a little more): I am a coach at a high school and i am pretty athletic and do not want a women’s bike…to small.

I will not be flying down any hills or jumping off cliffs with the bike. Mostly single track and a few hills here in Georgia.

I have want fs and I have up to 2600ish to spend. I want a bike that in 2 years if I need to sell that I want get killed… just mugged so resale value??

I have looked and ridden the follow

09 stumpjumper fsr comp
      09 Giant anthem 2 and 3
      Mongoose canaan elite
      08 demo specialized epic elite

Again I will be glad to look at anything suggested.. the mongoose had gereat specs, but it is a mongoose?? i loved the anthem 2 but better than stumpy??? the bike shop was pushing me towards giant.. They sell both specialized and giant..

the 08 epic is a demo they have??

Well folks please help….

I guess the biggest question:

Do you consider yourself to be proportionate as far as not having longer legs to torso or vise versa…

The woman bikes address those conditions if your proportionate that way then the male version is just fine in a Giant Anthem or Specialized FSR…..

Now here is the trick question the Anthem is considers more a XC only bike more aggressive as far as a racer is concerned and the FSR is more a trial bike with longer travel and a smoother ride….Did you consider a Giant Trance? It is more like a FSR and both the Trance and the FSR are more versatile in the fact that you can ride longer and do more with them if you choose too.

Now saying that both bikes are on the pricey side due to the name brand….

Did you consider the Jamis Dakar XCR or XCT….For the components they are not that bad.

Cannot give you any advice on fs bikes, however I would ask the bike shop to take it for a spin on a trail. Worse they can say is no.

You might have a hard time talking a bike shop into letting you ride a bike on a trail before you actually buy it unless they have a demo bike.

I had a Mongoose Teocali the year they came out. that bike was awesome. i’d still have one if it weren’t just a tad too small for me. Now i have a GT I drive 5 XL. They’re owned by the same company, but they both have great qualities.

If it’s your first full suspension bike, i’d say that you should just do a little bit of research, check the bike fitment, then just get the one that you think looks the best or is the best deal. Being new to the sport can sometimes be a blessing. When you don’t know much about it, you can ignore all of the techy stuff that some people talk about. You won’t even notice hardly any of it when you ride unless you really think about it. When i ride, i just ride. I’m thinking about my legs hurting, my lungs hurting, or I’m thinking of that next big turn i’m going to rail. I don’t think about how good my bike pedals, or how well that pedaling platform performs, or the geometry of the bike. I just ride. All of that stuff can be tweaked a bit by your riding style. Don’t get caught up in they hype. Just make sure you don’t get something from a department store.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.