Advice on 29ers

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys! I’m currently in the market for a new bike and I want to get a 29er. I have heard nothing but good things about them, but I’m a little under knowledged about the bikes out there. I want to upgrade from a 6 year old Trek 4300. I ride some singletrack and dirt trails mostly.

So far, I have looked at these bikes:
      Specialized RockHopper
      Trek Mamba
      Giant Talon 29er 1
      Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4

I would like to know what you guys suggest. A few questions I have are ones like:
      What is going to give me the biggest bang for my buck?
      What is going to be the most durable?
      What has the best fork?
      Hydraulic or Cable discs?

If you have any advice as to what I should look into, I’m open to ALL advice and opinions. Thanks for any and all help! Ride on!

Pat

I’ve got the Talon 1 and love it. My suggestion would be to try and ride each one to see what fits you best. Each person is different and each bike could or not fit you. Look up the reviews on each bike then make your choice. All are good bikes to get you on your way.

Good luck

Edit :

Forks- good but not great. Standard for price range of bike !!
      Brakes- hydraulic and very good. Stoppping me @ 220 lbs 😃

I am looking at 29er bike’s right now,although I"m looking at steel framed 29er’s.I’ve been on an aluminum 26" wheel full suspension for 5 years now.I’ve actually had fun with the bike,although I’m going back to a steel hard tail/rigid set up like I had in my first bike and gonna give the 29er thing a try.I am currently looking at the Surly Karate monkey
      [url:yhbcm6xv]http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey[/url:yhbcm6xv]
      The Kona Honzo
      [url:yhbcm6xv]http://konaworld.com/gravity_hardtail.cfm?content=honzo[/url:yhbcm6xv]
      The Transition Transam 29er
      [url:yhbcm6xv]http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_TransAM29.cfm[/url:yhbcm6xv]
      For me,these bikes are the best bang for MY buck,I come from a BMX background though,so the steel frame thing probably isnt for everyone but thought I would share.I’ve been thiking of going custom,although the waiting list’s are quite long when I only have one bike to ride and selling the other one.The price range for a steel bike if it’s your thing is pretty attractive,plus a steel frame will last forever,especially if the geometry is right.The Karate Monkey from surly is probably the best deal,I can get into that bike ready to ride under $1500,although I really like the Transition but it’s about a thousand more.Decisions decisions…..Anyway,hope I expanded upon your bike bike awarness as I hope to expand upon my own,,,happy trails and hope you find the right bike.

I got a new bike last spring. It was the first new bike in 15 years. Having kids will do that! I ended up with a 2011 GF Marlin 29er. I did not want to spend 2k on a bike until I knew I was going to get back into MTB. Needless to say, I am hooked and riding 3-4 week on awesome ST. So I have spent some money on upgrades like derailleur, hydraulic brakes, grips, fork etc. Over the long term you may spend more for everything, but you can ride and see what you like.

I am glad I bought from my LBS vs a used bike as well. Their advice has really shortened my learning curve on maintenance and repairs.

I am sold on a 29er hardtail.

Good luck.

I own an old 26" Rockhopper and I currently ride a Giant Anthem X 29er. Either Specialized or Giant will be excellent build quality, but it comes down to what fits and feels the best.

FWIW, On-One Bike’s US store is blowing out all of their 2011 steel frames right now at 25% off the listed price if you use the coupon code "BORNANINBRED". I couldn’t pass on the Inbred 29er. Got it, shipping included, for $297.00. If you don’t mind building your bike up, that’s a GREAT deal for an incredibly versatile steel frame 29er.

Same situation for me. I just bought my first new bike in 17 years two months ago. I went with the Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4. For me, it was nice b/c I was able to buy at my local REI and will get a nice chunk back in my dividend (which I promptly invested into a new camelbak, helmet, etc.). Plus, I love the saffron/rust color. Really sweet looking and it’s such a smooth ride. Been very happy.

Good luck with whatever you end up with. Anything is an incredible upgrade after 15 years (or 17 in my case)!

"GoldenGoose" wrote

FWIW, On-One Bike’s US store is blowing out all of their 2011 steel frames right now at 25% off the listed price if you use the coupon code "BORNANINBRED". I couldn’t pass on the Inbred 29er. Got it, shipping included, for $297.00. If you don’t mind building your bike up, that’s a GREAT deal for an incredibly versatile steel frame 29er.

NICE. I love the handling of my Scandal, which I believe has the same geometry as the Inbred.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

Thanks GG,I’ll take a closer look when I back to my desk top computer.That inbred looks pretty cool and I was most likely gonna build up the karate monkey anyways so it’s very possible I might pick one up…

I’m more Specialized fun and now looking for HT 29er too. From those 4 I’d buy Talon 29er – the most bike for money. Fork ain’t best but will hold your riding anyway. I’ve tried Talon myself a few times and impressed of it’s handling and especially cornering on singletrack. Spec and Trek are both great but price is higher. And Canondale’s, in my opinion, are overpriced a little for what they offer comparing to others.
      Brakes – high-end mechanics are better then low-end hydro. Plus minimum maintenance always great.
      You might wanna try Stumpjumper, XTC or similar. Then you’ll get a lighter frame, nice fork, better components, lighter wheels!!! and hydro brakes from the beginning.
      Also, check DirectBike website – they have Motobekane bikes with X9 or XT kits for insane low prices.
      Myself will probably buy Surly Ogre because of it’s endless number of rack mounts, steel frame and versatility. I need a HT for bikepacking mostly and looks like this will fit my needs. Still thinking of what wheels will be best there. Guys from my LBS said they’ll help me with ordering and assembling which is great since I don’t have all tools needed.
      Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you got 😀

Thanks Stumpyfsr!
      I am a little ways off, financially, before I can purchase anything, but I will definitely let you guys know what I get! Keep the opinions and advice coming!

Pat

Anyone got any experience or advice regarding the Marin Palisades Trail 29er?
      Thanks.

http://www.marinbikes.com/2012/bike_spe … Trail_29er

i love my trek gary fisher mamba 29er no issues at all! read up on treks g2 technology before making your decision thats what sold me!

All the bikes you listed should pass the durability test. Personaly I would go with the specialized or the giant. The g2 geometry of the trek/fisher bikes is nice but there are down sides to it. Part of the g2 "magic" is in the fork. The forks on g2 bikes are custom made for trek/fisher. If you were to upgrade to another fork it would change the ride quality of the bike. Different offset on the forks crown is what makes the "magic". You cannot buy an aftermarket fork with g2 geometry. You’re stuck with the factory fork or an aftermarket that changes the bikes handling. For me that’s a deal breaker.

I’ve got a Fisher Ferrous(steel) and added a Fox G2 fork off of a later model Fisher Paragon and can’t tell the difference "geometry wise". Also added Juicy 5’s from the same bike and LOVE my STEEL! My recommendation…CRAIGSLIST!

I ride HT steel 29ers (Transition Trans Am and Jamis Dragon single speed) and although the geometry of the two frames is very different I love the ride on a hard tail steel frame. I have ridden aluminum and carbon, hard tail and full suspension and although they were great bikes steel hard tail is the way to go. You are connected to the trail and "in the frame" in a way that other frame styles are not. Steel has just the right amount of flex so you aren’t beat to death without sacrificing too much propulsion energy into frame flex. Full suspension bikes are a more relaxed ride but I found I got lazy as I allowed the bike to do more of the work for me. "Steel is real!"
      Demo a bike if you can before buying. Even the greatest bike build in the world sucks if it doesn’t fit you.
      Have fun (new bikes are exciting!)

I have a Jamis Exile Race and couldn’t be happier. Build was really decent for the money. Has the aluminum frame and fits me well at 220 lbs. Seems to be faster than my 26 too. Just my two cents. Have had nothing but good luck with my Jamis Bikes. My whole family now has one just cause of the way they have been so good with dealer support and what you get for your money.

"rbnhood66" wrote

I have a Jamis Exile Race and couldn’t be happier. Build was really decent for the money. Has the aluminum frame and fits me well at 220 lbs. Seems to be faster than my 26 too. Just my two cents. Have had nothing but good luck with my Jamis Bikes. My whole family now has one just cause of the way they have been so good with dealer support and what you get for your money.

+1 on Jamis. I’ve had great experiences owning thier bikes in the past!

I’m rolling on a Scott Comp 29er with the hydrolic disk brakes. So far it is amazing 😃 the hydrolic brakes are a much smoother stop than the cable ones, and the 29’s roll over rocks/train tracks/ mud/creeks a million times easier than my old bike

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.