Advice on cleaning/maintaining disc brakes?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

After riding with disc brakes for some a while, I feel it may be the time to give them a little attention. I’m starting to hear a few squeals, so I’m assuming the rotors are getting a little dirty, unfortunately I’ve scared as ^#%@ to touch them, for I do not want to damage anything.

So how can I clean my disc brakes without hurting them? I’ve heard the oil from my hands, and soap are bad if they get on the rotors because they then start to lose some of there modulation. Anyways who knows what I’m talking about, any help, as always, is appreciated.

Mongoose thanks for the plug brother!…

I do have one thing to mention…For those riders who do not heat their brakes as much as you do….It is better to use straight alcohol to remove the dirt and grim…((or straight Methyl Hydrate))…Some automotive sprays leave a very fine film that won’t normally burn of mountain bike rotors but will easily burn off on regular automotive disks.

That film may ((Big maybe in my opinion)) clog the pads and slowly reduce performance over a short time.

But most true mountain bikers may not need fear this…However those who putter around and gingerly stopping might.

I personally stay safe and use alcohol (( the kind you get at the drug store not the liquor store)).

Cheers

What they said is right. But just to give a first hand:

I once used the brake cleaner on a set of rotors and discs. The next time I rode I virtually had no brakes and went smack into a tree within the first three minutes of a ride.

"spazjensen" wrote

What they said is right. But just to give a first hand:

I once used the brake cleaner on a set of rotors and discs. The next time I rode I virtually had no brakes and went smack into a tree within the first three minutes of a ride.

Guys..typical rubbing alcohol will swipe the glaze off the rotors which is the reason for many noises and reduced braking. Taking the pads out and scuffing them on the cement floor of your garage or driveway will rid them of their glaze. Slap it together..no residue but I still treat them to a new but abbreviated break-in just for chuckles.
      Avid Juicys (all models) are notorious for screeching and this resolves it.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.