Advice for 1st FS bike?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Everyone. I’m mid-40’s, live in Lakewood/Morrison, and ride mostly close to home (JeffCo parks, Buff Cr, and up and down the Front Range) but also several outings per year to Monarch, C.B., Fruita, & Moab.
      I’ve been riding since the mid 90’s, always on rigid or HT’s. My current ride is a Redline D440 (rigid CroMo 29er), which I enjoy. The deal is that I ride with guys that race and really get after it, and while I can climb with the best of them, I definitely hold the back of the pack on the rolling and downhill parts of the trail. I’m the only guy not on a FS ride, and finally starting to see that I’m missing out on a lot of the fun the sport has to offer.
      So this year I’m going to treat myself to a bike, and would welcome suggestions. I’ve only been bike shopping once in the last 10 years, so I’m not up to date with what’s shaking and moving these days. I have $3000 to spend. I don’t have any brand loyalties for frames, suspension, or components. I don’t do anything bigger than knee-high drops. I do like big long climbs and all-day rides.
      I’d like to get some input from y’all before I go get bombarded by the LBS salesmen.
      Thanks, Tom
      P.S. If I went with a Trek, bought with their same-as-cash financing, I could probably go up to $4000. Or if there are any other financing plans out there, please let me know!

Tom,
      The best advice any of us can give is . . . . get out there and do some test rides! Better yet, try to find a demo day where you can try a few models side by side. The world of full suspension bikes is now so varied, the choices can be mind boggling. The bike that feels best to you is the best bike for you. Fortunately, you’ve already put in quite a bit of time in the saddle, so you at least know what type of geometry feels best to you. Further complicating things now is the fact that you can get great trail bikes in all three wheel sizes. Combine the different wheel sizes with the different suspension designs and individual manufacturer/specific model geometries and it’s a real Pandoras box out there.

If you have a bike shop you like, start there. See if they know of any upcoming demos. When you’re scoping out a fully, getting to try it on the dirt is way better than the typical parking lot test ride. Shops who do demos usually credit the cost of the demo rental back to your purchase price if you buy one.

If you can get away to a significant bike event, they usually have demos for free. Last year, I attended a small MTB festival in Vernal UT, and Rocky Mountain and Cannondale were both there with a van full of models and sizes. My LBS close to home in Colorado Springs recently had a free demo day with reps from Yeti, Spec, and Borealis (fatbikes).

From your riding style, it sounds like you may be a good candidate for a 29er or 27.5 with around 120mm of rear travel. This is a huge market and there’s lots to choose from. You may want to start your search there. Tell the guys at the shop/demo day you’re looking for a rig within these parameters and under 3K and that should narrow your choices considerably so you can keep from getting overwhelmed.

Have fun and tell us how it turns out.

"skibum" wrote

Tom,
      The best advice any of us can give is . . . . get out there and do some test rides! Better yet, try to find a demo day where you can try a few models side by side. The world of full suspension bikes is now so varied, the choices can be mind boggling. The bike that feels best to you is the best bike for you. Fortunately, you’ve already put in quite a bit of time in the saddle, so you at least know what type of geometry feels best to you. Further complicating things now is the fact that you can get great trail bikes in all three wheel sizes. Combine the different wheel sizes with the different suspension designs and individual manufacturer/specific model geometries and it’s a real Pandoras box out there.

If you have a bike shop you like, start there. See if they know of any upcoming demos. When you’re scoping out a fully, getting to try it on the dirt is way better than the typical parking lot test ride. Shops who do demos usually credit the cost of the demo rental back to your purchase price if you buy one.

If you can get away to a significant bike event, they usually have demos for free. Last year, I attended a small MTB festival in Vernal UT, and Rocky Mountain and Cannondale were both there with a van full of models and sizes. My LBS close to home in Colorado Springs recently had a free demo day with reps from Yeti, Spec, and Borealis (fatbikes).

From your riding style, it sounds like you may be a good candidate for a 29er or 27.5 with around 120mm of rear travel. This is a huge market and there’s lots to choose from. You may want to start your search there. Tell the guys at the shop/demo day you’re looking for a rig within these parameters and under 3K and that should narrow your choices considerably so you can keep from getting overwhelmed.

Have fun and tell us how it turns out.

Great advice! And I definitely recommend trying the 29" and 27.5" before dumping a ton of cash into one or the other. They both have their own unique style you will want to see if you like before you dump a bunch of change into them!

Thanks for the input…
      I’m leaning towards a new 2013. And buying locally as opposed to eBay or other online dealer.
      Here’s what seems to me a hard to beat deal, a 2013 Trek Fuel EX8 in my size for $2100, from a very reputable LBS:
      http://campuscycles.com/product/13trek- … 4600-1.htm
      This 2013 Fuel has 130mm travel front and rear, XT rear derailleur and XLS everywhere else.
      I see a ton of these on the Front Range trails…

Nice bike with solid components! That’s a 26" right? I still love mine and haven’t drank the big wheel size koolaid yet 😃

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.