Adjustable Seat-posts!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I’m very interested in getting an adjustable seat-post for my trek fuel ex 6. I heard good things about rock shox and specialized but they are so expensive. Whats the best adjustable seat post on the market? The best one for the price? one that will make due? Thanks all the help whould be great! i know nothing about them, just that my friend told me it will definitely help!

Kind Shock could be an option

I think that the cost is worth it. The posts are great for any all mountain rig. I have a Specialized Command Post and paid around $300 for it. I think some shops will demo them, you might want to try one out on your rig before making the plunge.

I’d suggest KS (Kind Shock). I’ve had a KS i950r on my Sortie for a few months now and really love it. Holding the post, you’ll see it’s of high quality and built to last. It’s super easy to install and it really does change they way you ride, totally boosting your confidence on the gnarly stuff but also gives you better control, better maneuverability over the bike.

One difference between the KS posts and the competition is that when you lift your bike from the seat while the post is down, it won’t raise. It remains down. I believe all the other will raise. Another thing I really like about KS is their remote lever, it’s looks like another kick ass bike component as apposed to a goofy lever like the Crank Brothers for instance. Also, if you have lock on grips, it can act as a clamp, blending seamlessly into your rig. In my case, I opted to keep the Specialized clamp on my grips. The lever works really awesome too.

KS just released a few new models so I’m sure you’ll be able to find some good deals out there on the older ones. I was lucky enough to have some Amazon points with my credit card that paid for most of it. I almost went with the X-Fusion Hilo. It’s another great post. The Hilo come with both the lever and remote. So should you decide to change, you have the option to. In my opinion, go with the remote. Dropping the post with the remote requires no thought, you just do and its done, hands never have to leave the bars.

I’d stay away from Crank Brothers for now at least. I did tons of research and can’t even begin to explain how much negative feedback I read all over the web. Giant just released one in the US which appears to be similar to CB. Haven’t heard much about those yet. And of course Fox should be releasing one soon. Knowing Fox, it should be a great post.

so would the i950r be good for a cross country bike. i guess i don’t really know the difference i want one that has a fairly large range.

I do like the switch on the handlebars on that. Looks pretty sweet!!

"neil.beltchenko" wrote

so would the i950r be good for a cross country bike. i guess i don’t really know the difference i want one that has a fairly large range.

Typically, dropper post are made for a littler more aggressive riding. You probably won’t see any XC racers using them mostly because of the weight but also because you really don’t need it in XC. With that said, they would make a great addition to any riding discipline and fit on any bike. Just make sure you get the right size. My Sortie is a 31.6mm. The i950r that I have is 5" of travel. That’s a lot. The KS post are available in several different travels. The CB Joplin is available in 3 & 4" versions, the Specialized Command Post and the X-Fusion Hilo is 4". 5" makes A LOT of difference (I know, that’s what she said) on the trail. With the KS, you can stop the post anywhere within that 5 inches too. Some posts stop at certain points such as the Specialized Command Post. It has 3 positions, something to consider!

By the way, it looks like KS has been doing some rebranding. The i950r has a new name, Super Natural Remote. Amazon has it right now for $239 (still under i950r name), that’s a good deal. They’re newer post, the Super Natural Beam looks really awesome. http://www.kssuspension.com

Well whatever, i consider my self a all mountain rider/ cross country rider. i ride in crested butte so i Just think it would be a good idea.. so i’m going to take your advice and get last years model. the i950r Thanks for the advice, and the picture on your bike really sold it, such a sharp piece.

Mine has three positions, but honestly I only use all the way up or all the way down. The middle doesn’t really give me much use.

Rummer at the bike shop is that Specialized is going to come out with a new Command Post. Lighter and better seals. Just had to send mine back for new seals. Miss it on almost every ride. 😢

just looked at the ks site as these do have a good rep. am i missing something or do all 30.9 seatposts (as on my santa cruz and specialized) have travel limited at 75mm (3")?

although cb doesn’t have a sparkling rep with their seatpost issues (i believe they acquired the post from maverik, the speedball), they have been on the market a long time, and i can attest to their brilliant cs staff. all these items will eventually fail. good cs is invaluable.

although, i do like the idea of the seat not pulling up if you lift it when in a down position. you seriously won’t believe how often you lift you bike by the seat until you get one of these posts. geez.

anyway, which ever you decide to get, it’s well worth the investment. sometimes see the cb’s discounted on chainlove.com.

here is your good advice! thanks

The KS Supernatural (or 950 I suppose its the same?) does NOT lock in a lowered position with respect to lifting the bike by the seat (the seat comes up). All of those posts except the mechanically locking fixed position ones have this effect. I don’t find it much of a problem, because by the time you are lifting your bike by the seat your are off the back (for sure off your bike!), so resetting the position isn’t really a deal killer. So yes I’d prefer it stayed "Locked" even when lifting the bike, but it DOES NOT. Call to my LBS confirms that is normal for these posts not a defect.

I find the remote adjust post to make me way more comfortable on stuff I would not normally dismount for stopping to lower a seat even with a quick release (like getting on and off the bike is not worth the trouble). For example some semi-gnarly rutted steep loose fire roads, or the root infested short singletrack drop in the middle of some climbing. Yep, I have the skills to do it post full up, but WTF if lowering it and raising it is just clicking a button a bit, why not have the extra control? Silly expensive but makes the ride more enjoyable no doubt. And no matter what anyone says, the max power position for me is way higher the max downhill control position. Maybe more about confidence than actual performance improvement, but I like being mentally more confortable while going fast downhill.

"LagunaTracker" wrote

The KS Supernatural (or 950 I suppose its the same?) does NOT lock in a lowered position with respect to lifting the bike by the seat (the seat comes up). All of those posts except the mechanically locking fixed position ones have this effect. I don’t find it much of a problem, because by the time you are lifting your bike by the seat your are off the back (for sure off your bike!), so resetting the position isn’t really a deal killer. So yes I’d prefer it stayed "Locked" even when lifting the bike, but it DOES NOT. Call to my LBS confirms that is normal for these posts not a defect.

Hey Laguna Tracker, the KS i950r DOES stay down when lifting it by the seat, whoever gave you that info is wrong. See for yourself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRNifKg71Y

DSP planes to release their Bighorn adjustable seatpost on Feb., 2012

Initial review from their testing rider [url:1y3dqnxe]http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/dsp-bighorn-initial-impressions-757958.html#post8841236[/url:1y3dqnxe]
      [flash=425,350:1y3dqnxe]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34002536&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1[/flash:1y3dqnxe]

More review [url:1y3dqnxe]http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.com/2012/01/dsp-bighorn-adjustable-seatpost-short.html[/url:1y3dqnxe].

Rumor says Fox’s DOSS (Drop-Off-Steep-Shit) should be coming out soon.

Dose anyone know if the stealth reverb is compatible with the new fuel ex frames, like the remedy??

I don’t know the first thing about adjustable seat posts, but was reading this yesterday. Thought I’d pass it along.

"GimmeAraise" wrote

Dose anyone know if the stealth reverb is compatible with the new fuel ex frames, like the remedy??

Most Treks use a 31.6mm seatpost. The Stealth Reverb comes in that size.

I think he was asking about the stealth cable routing. The stealth goes through a small hole in the seat tube near the BB and runs into the bottom of the seatpost. The regular reverb hose mounts a the top of the lower. To answer the question, I’m not sure. Let me ask around and see.

"GimmeAraise" wrote

That would be a negative, ghostrider. The 120mm travel bikes weren’t really designed with dropper seat post in mind. You can use a normal reverb, though.

"dozzerboy" wrote

Let me ask around and see.

Hey Thanks alot!

"GimmeAraise" wrote

[quote="dozzerboy":1lv0pszs] Let me ask around and see.

Hey Thanks alot![/quote:1lv0pszs]
      Welcome. 😎

Just Ickes up my fuel ex 9.8! Was told it was not compatible with the stealth! So this crank brothers post is looking better! Is this the lightest adjustable post in the market?

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="GimmeAraise":1am28xd3]Dose anyone know if the stealth reverb is compatible with the new fuel ex frames, like the remedy??

That would be a negative, ghostrider. The 120mm travel bikes weren’t really designed with dropper seat post in mind. You can use a normal reverb, though.[/quote:1am28xd3]
      :?: Did you see this?

I would also take a look at gravity dropper seatposts. Most bomb proof design.

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="GimmeAraise":3blrzvwz]Dose anyone know if the stealth reverb is compatible with the new fuel ex frames, like the remedy??

That would be a negative, ghostrider. The 120mm travel bikes weren’t really designed with dropper seat post in mind. You can use a normal reverb, though.[/quote:3blrzvwz]

I dont know why?? its made me a much better rider! im always going to have one for my fuel ex!

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.