Adjust lever travel on hydraulic disc brakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I just got my first set of hydraulic disc brakes, Avid Elixir R’s. I installed them and took them on a two hour trail ride with plenty of downhill. The brakes stopped fine but I do have one issue with them. The lever travel is much shorter and stiffer than other hydraulic brakes I have looked at. I even messed with another set of Elixir R’s on a bike at a LBS and they had a longer travel and nicer feel to them.

Is this something that is a break-in issue or something that I can adjust to correct?

I have the 2007 Avid juicy 7’s and they have the lever travel adjustment screw’s,I would think your Elixer’s would have them as well.Can you see the hex stud screw’s by where the lever’s pivot in the handle??

Mine have the reach adjust but that just changes where the lever starts in relation to the handlebars. It doesn’t change the actual travel distance before the brake engages. It also doesn’t change the stiffness or feel of the actual lever pull.

It also doesn’t change the stiffness or feel of the actual lever pull.

Do your Elixer’s have the pad adjustment???

No, they just have the reach adjustment on the lever. I think the CR’s have the pad contact adjustment.

I did mount the calipers myself and it was my first time installing disc brakes so it is possible that user error is the problem. Do you have any tips that I could try before taking it in to my LBS. The bike shop is about 45 minutes from my house and I don’t get out there very often.

Do you have any tips that I could try before taking it in to my LBS.

[url:10wllh2q]http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=142[/url:10wllh2q]

Check out the caliper alignment section from this link from park tools web site.

Thanks so much for the help. I will check out that site and if the problem persists, I will head to my LBS.

I even messed with another set of Elixir R’s on a bike at a LBS and they had a longer travel and nicer feel to them.

Yeah,and they will break in after awhile too,plus you’ll get used to them and soon they will feel like perfect.

Ghetto method:
      Loosen the caliper bolts just enough so the caliper can move.
      Squeeze the brake lever gently to center the caliper on the rotor.
      While holding the brake lever, tighten the caliper bolts loosened in step 1

My LBS taught me this trick.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.