cranks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

i some times have a problem with my cranks bottoming out. buy yet i like the extra leverage i get from the longer cranks. is there any thing i can do?

Learn to keep your outside foot down in turns and when you need to use half-pedal strokes due to terrain/clearance issues. Keep your feet level (3 and 9 o’clock) when not pedaling or turning.

It’ll take some practice, but you have fewer pedal stabs in no time.

I’m still working on the half-pedal strokes myself.

"Jared13" wrote

Learn to keep your outside foot down in turns and when you need to use half-pedal strokes due to terrain/clearance issues. Keep your feet level (3 and 9 o’clock) when not pedaling or turning.

Spot on right here! I’ve heard it called "caking" – when you use half pedal strokes because of the inability to use a certain crank. I always did it naturally, so I was pleased when I learned it’s considered a "skill." Wahoo! I’m finally good at something on a bike! 😃

Crank length has nothing to do with the pedals hitting. Crank length is related to leg length. The most used lengths are 170-175 and 5mm will make no difference in ground clearence. It is a matter of timing as mentioned in previous posts. To clear the trail hicky just practice. 😄 Later,

So, a 175mm crank arm, at the bottom position, is not 5mm closer to the ground than a 170mm crank in the same position?

Correct math your maddness. I’ve never had 5mm make a major difference in ground clearance. The test on the Focus 29er tells me you are short legged like yours truley. I use 170 cranks to make up for being inseam challanged as well. Less leverage but better spin. Do I hit my crank arms when I miss judge an obstical? Yes. But it isn’t due to crank length it is due to me missing the proper timing to avoid the hicky. Pilot error pure and simple. The only biking that crank length matters is track racing on a velodrome. All those bikes are 165mm cranks to keep from hitting the track when leaned over. As you see I’m a weath of little know facts that no one cares about. The fat man has left the building. 😄 Later,

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.