8 times

Forums Mountain Bike Forum 8 times

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Went clipless today and I went down 8 times!!! Two of them where completely avoidable just stupid stuff on my part. A little dissapointed with my performance on them because of the number of times I went down. I think after the 3rd time I simply lost confidence and it showed. I say this because I rode the same trail yesterday and didnt go down at all. I’ll give it another shot in a few days. I also adjusted the thingie to get in/out of them easier.

wow, that must have been really frustrating. I wont be going clipless until I get a new bike. Throw clipless on the old one just to use on the more boring/flowy trails I feel safe on.

Did you like anything about them over platforms?

It was frustating, but thinking back most of it was because of my loss of confidence and I would hesitate. But I would get back on and try the same part again. I did notice that with clipless it helps going up hills and not coming off the pedals helped a lot. It’ll take me a few more times to really get used to them.

Did you try practicing clipping/unclipping for a half hour or so in a grassy yard before you hit the trail?

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Did you try practicing clipping/unclipping for a half hour or so in a grassy yard before you hit the trail?

This ?? and don’t worry it happend to all of us when we first went clipless. I don’t even care anymore if it happens 😃

I practiced for bout 10 to 15 minutes total between my house and before I hit the trail. I believe (hope actually) most of it was because I had the tension set a little too tight and my nerves where messing with me cause I worried a little too much about going down. I will practice some more in my apartment before I hit the trails again. I did figure out that with the tension loosened I can unclip with the foot that is up that might sound silly to ya’ll but I could only unclip when my foot was down. That’s a noob for you. I just hope I didn’t make them too loose…ya’lls thoughts and advice…

I’ve ridden my new clipless setup about 5 times now and haven’t fallen yet. My only thought to share is this: when I ride really sketchy sections, like rocky steep climbs where it’s likely I’ll get pitched to either side, I clip out and pedal via the arches of my feet, then clip back in when I get through it.

I used to do that too, but you’ll actually be more stable if you stay clipped in. Just keep practicing and build up your confidence.

"schwim" wrote

I’ve ridden my new clipless setup about 5 times now and haven’t fallen yet. My only thought to share is this: when I ride really sketchy sections, like rocky steep climbs where it’s likely I’ll get pitched to either side, I clip out and pedal via the arches of my feet, then clip back in when I get through it.

I wouldn’t recommend this because you are focusing on failure. Instead of trying to minimize the penalty WHEN you fail, focus on doing everything you can to guarantee SUCESS. Thinking positively and focusing on the right things will do wonders for your riding!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="schwim":b9ajoga0]I’ve ridden my new clipless setup about 5 times now and haven’t fallen yet. My only thought to share is this: when I ride really sketchy sections, like rocky steep climbs where it’s likely I’ll get pitched to either side, I clip out and pedal via the arches of my feet, then clip back in when I get through it.

I wouldn’t recommend this because you are focusing on failure. Instead of trying to minimize the penalty WHEN you fail, focus on doing everything you can to guarantee SUCESS. Thinking positively and focusing on the right things will do wonders for your riding![/quote:b9ajoga0]

I wouldn’t recommend that either. With many shoes the arches are more or less just a piece of plastic and have little to no grip on the pedal.

The key with learning clipless is confidence and commitment. Don’t be afraid, trust yourself to ride the tough sections. The bike wants to get through upright, so look ahead at where you want to go, commit to getting there hell or high water, and do it!

There is a learning curve though, so just keep riding and before long you wont even think about it anymore. My first clipless ride was on our most technical trail…at night….I fell a lot.

"maddslacker" wrote

I used to do that too, but you’ll actually be more stable if you stay clipped in. Just keep practicing and build up your confidence.

Now that I use eggebeaters, riding unclipped is not an option anyway. My feet would just slide off.

haha, motivational speaking and voices of reason aside, it works fantastically. Ill stop clippingout when I’m comfortable doing so. pedaling clipped out works superbly for me and has kept me from faceplanting more than once while its not caused a single accident to date.

Perhaps a pair of these is in order:
      http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M324-C … B001AT33CW

The only way to gain confidence riding clipped in is to ride clipped in IMO.

Back your shimano’s all the way out. Then turn them in 8 clicks. Next, pump your tires up high and ride all week on the road in the evenings after you get off work. Clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out. When you feel like you are getting more confident, ride with one foot clipped in and the other hanging. Switch after a little while, then turn them in 4 more clicks and lower your tire pressure. Go ride a Mtn and enjoy your new pedals.

What worked for me was to ride around in my yard practicing clicking in and out, riding slow, sharp turns. After about an hour I felt confident, hit a trail I really new. Still fell a few times, always when I was coming to a stop and forgot I was clicked in. Everyone does it.

jeremiahbwhite, so you recommend riding the trails at about 8 clicks in? I was thinking 4 as I was practicing clipping in/out inside the house. You think that’ll be too easy and could possibly cause some accidental clip outs?

Absolutely, you don’t want more than 20 degrees of float.

I was terrified when I started to ride clipless – it took me on and off for about three months, then an entire off-season, to get okay with them.

1.) I reduced the tension all the way on the pedals.
      2.) I realized my tread was actually in the way once clipped in, so I sawed off part of it so I could unclip faster.
      3.) I spent about two days of clipping in and clipping out the cleat/ pedal while just sitting on the couch, having removed the pedals from the bike to loosen them up.
      4.) Once I started again, I just WENT and dedicated myself.

Had a few falls – still do once in a great while, but honestly, I wouldn’t ride without being clipped in nowadays if at all possible!

Just stick with it. Everybody struggles a tad when they first try them. The benefit of clipless pedals are amazing. I was frustrated and almost quit them at one point, I’m glad I stuck it out

Keep on working with the clippless pedals, being clipped in will benefit your riding in many ways. It is worth the occasional slow-tip-over-I-can’t-get-clipped-out!! This happens to everyone at times.
      But, clipped in provides more stability and power when you need it and staying on the pedals over rough technical stuff is important.
      The SPD clip one side and cage on the other is a good compromise, I rode them for awhile. The down side is that the pedal wants to flip over to the cage side if you clip out suddenly, and this makes it tricky to clip back in while the bike is still moving.
      As with all things find what works for you and stick with it.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="schwim":3iyj8vyu]I’ve ridden my new clipless setup about 5 times now and haven’t fallen yet. My only thought to share is this: when I ride really sketchy sections, like rocky steep climbs where it’s likely I’ll get pitched to either side, I clip out and pedal via the arches of my feet, then clip back in when I get through it.

I wouldn’t recommend this because you are focusing on failure. Instead of trying to minimize the penalty WHEN you fail, focus on doing everything you can to guarantee SUCESS. Thinking positively and focusing on the right things will do wonders for your riding![/quote:3iyj8vyu]

This is really great advice. Yes it’s tough and kinda scary at first to have your feet attached to the bike, especially on those sketchy sections. But after a few times, you get used to it and it feels weird NOT having them attached. Also, the bumps and bruises will come either way. Might as well accept it and do everything you can to pursue full success instead of compromising.

I was In your position just a few months ago. Mostly not causing any crashes any more. first thing I had to learn was not to stop with cranks level. that’s hardest spot to unclip. Soon it will be just about as easy as platforms. Still working on getting in cleanly, but at least I can peddle with one leg if I miss.

"TrevorDHyland" wrote

This is really great advice. Yes it’s tough and kinda scary at first to have your feet attached to the bike, especially on those sketchy sections. But after a few times, you get used to it and it feels weird NOT having them attached. Also, the bumps and bruises will come either way. Might as well accept it and do everything you can to pursue full success instead of compromising.

11 rides now with no falls. I’ll be riding again tomorrow. And Sunday. Then Monday night. Thursday and then Saturday followed by Sunday. During these rides, if I happen to come across an incline that I’m likely to fall on because of slow speed combined with obstacles, I’ll be clipping out. If I’m going less than a walking pace, I can promise you that being clipped out won’t make a huge difference in my making it up that hill. And if it does? Well, I’m already going walking speed. I’ll simply put my foot down and walk it the rest of the way. And you know what? It’s really not that big of a deal.

With all due respect, you guys need to mellow out and realize that not everyone is going to follow your line of thinking. You’re more dogmatic than photographers sometimes (Rule of thirds! The photo is crap if you don’t follow the rule of thirds!). I can totally dig your statements. I’ll never be truly good until I clip in all the time from the time I leave the truck until I return, I got it. I will, however be continuing to ride in a manner that makes me comfortable. I promise I won’t force you to come to my funeral when I fall to my death and somehow cause a solar eclipse followed by a second flooding of New Orleans because I was clipped out while grannying up a rock garden.

It has been over 20 years since I have ridden WITHOUT clipless pedals, so getting out comes completely natural now.

I would spend as much time riding with them on non-technical trails (or on the road) just to become more confident, and to get to where you don’t have to think about getting out when you need to. I remember falling a few times at first, but it didn’t take long to be comfortable with them.

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.