Upgrades?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

I’m semi-new to mountain biking and I was wondering what upgrades would be best to purchase first. I have a Giant Trance and everything is stock. I don’t have disc brakes yet, and I was thinking that should be one of my first purchases. What else would improve my ride? The trails I ride are usually more technical. All help is appreciated! 😃

Ride the bike and see the ares you’re having trouble. Do the upgrades that will help the problem. If you are having trouble climbing, disc brakes won’t fix that. Go with what you need and save money on the "Bling". 😄 Later,

Alright thanks for the tip! I’ve noticed that the brakes I have now are usually grinding on the tires while I ride, which gets pretty annoying, so I think I might get some new brakes!

If the brakes are "grinding" while just riding you need to adjust them (or maybe even just clean off any debris in there..) but replacing shouldn’t be the answer to a rubbing problem on new brakes. Initial upgrades on a new stock bike should be minimal until you ride it and figure out where it isn’t meeting your needs. A new saddle, and maybe tires are typically easy/inexpensive upgrades that can make a big difference in your ride.

Ok! Hopefully I can get out and ride soon!

I forgot that the Trance has a rim brake option…you almost never see one built up that way. Anyway, The brake shoes should not be touching your tires AT ALL. I hope you meant the rims…

Anyway, a set of Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes would be a good start. The bike frame and presumably the fork will already have the mounting points for the calipers, and you’ll just need to see if your hubs have rotor mounts.

If I can steal a quote of sorts from cycling great Eddy Merckx, "To be a stronger rider, you don’t need to buy upgrades, but ride up grades". Remember, it’s the rider, not the bike!

I don’t think the question was "what can i buy to make me a better rider". It’s not a sin to upgrade your bike. Will it make you a better rider? … no, but if it makes your time on you bike more ejoyable then go for it. If you can afford it, what’s the problem… disc brakes made a huge difference to me… and I don’t mean that I think it made me a better rider.

Too often people get caught up in wanting to have the latest and greatest on their bike. I say, if your current brakes stop you now, why spend money on new ones? Same thing for derailluers, if they shift you into the gear you want, when you need it, no point in buying a new one.

I’ve been riding the same Stumpjumper since 1997, and the only changes I’ve made to it are seatpost, stem and bars. That was to have them all black. The reason I don’t buy a new bike is simple, my current one does everything I need it to. The bike is a tank! It’s never failed me.

"83stumpjumper" wrote

I say, if your current brakes stop you now, why spend money on new ones? Same thing for derailluers, if they shift you into the gear you want, when you need it, no point in buying a new one.

the only changes I’ve made to it are seatpost, stem and bars. That was to have them all black.

So you’re say that the non-black seatpost failed to hold up your backside and that the non-black stem failed to secure your non-functioning bars?

Over 2 seasons, I changed everything on my Marlin, but the saddle and the frame. Why? Because I had fun doing this. Can’t see anything wrong with it…

i got a 1994 univega alpina s7.5 steel frame hdtl. only up grades are seat and fork. everything else is org. me personally i dont need all the upgrades and toys. you know if it is’nt broke don’t fix it. but new is cool also. its all about preferance.nothing is wrong about upgrades or no upgrades, just make sure YOU LET R RIP!!

Absolutely nothing wrong with my original seatpost, bars and stem. I changed them for a different look, not to enhance performance. To enhance my riding, I ride more.

"83stumpjumper" wrote

…if your current brakes stop you now, why spend money on new ones? Same thing for derailluers, if they shift you into the gear you want, when you need it, no point in buying a new one.

But to quote you, there is no point in upgrading unless the part doesn’t work.

Your kind of countering your own argument. 😆

Nope. I made it clear that I changed those parts just for the look. In no way can any of those components make you a better rider. My brakes stop me, my derailluers shift sharp and smooth everytime, I would never change them. Everything works, that’s why I don’t need to spend money to replace them.

So would you agree that swapping a (working) derailleur for a lighter weight one would be at least as sensible as replacing a (working) seat post for something as vain as color?

Nope, because the minute difference in weight wouldn’t make a difference in the quality of the ride. The old saying applies here, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If you want to change components to make the bike look different, it’s the same as changing parts on a car for a different look. You’re not doing it for performance, you’re just trying to achieve a different look.That’s what I did. If people really want to change parts because they saw a certain pro using it on his bike, or it got great reviews in a magazine or website, that’s their business. They just shouldn’t be under the false impression it’s going to make them a better rider. Now if something breaks on the bike, or isn’t working the way it once did, by all means replace it with what ever you want. If you want to be faster, or climb hills quicker, get out and ride what you have.

I would love to have a blingy bike but when I break stuff I replace it with whatever the local shops have in stock so nothing on my bike matches. I have an orange cassette, white handlebar, ugly yellow lettering on my wheels with other random colored componenets sprinkled throughout on a blue frame. It wont when a beauty contest but it fits me perfectly and is bullet proof. The moral of the story: function > form.

"jtorlando25" wrote

function > form.

Bravo!

When I built my bike up originally I choose colors that looked good together, everything was either black/white/silver. But when it’s time to replace worn out parts, whatever color they have in stock will do just fine. Hence my blue pedals 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

So would you agree that swapping a (working) derailleur for a lighter weight one would be at least as sensible as replacing a (working) seat post for something as vain as color?

I would argue the derailleur swap is more sensible. Swapping for color alone could easily mean you end up with a heavier and or weaker seat post. It could also be too stiff and hurt ride quality.

At the end of the day: do what makes you happy, and just enjoy the ride.

"dgaddis" wrote

At the end of the day: do what makes you happy, and just enjoy the ride.

Totally agree….

I put a new bar and stem on my bike for 2 reason and that was to get a better fit (shorter stem)
      and better handling (longer bar 31in.) and since I was doing that I decided to match my bike up a little bit. I definetly agree expensive parts or lighter parts wont make you a better rider but in the case of my upgrades I feel that they have helped me improve my handling skills because know I sit in a postion where I have more control and my longer bars make for cutting switchbacks and turns a lot faster which therefore translates into helping me become a better bike handler. As far as brakes go IMO, the better brakes you have, the better modulation you have, the better stopping power(slowing down power really) you have means that I can go faster while being confident my brakes can SLOW me down better the cheaper older ones I had… 😎 😎 😎

i agree on the ” end of the day” comment. and don’t forget to let r rip! 😃

Bottom line, if you want it and think it will make the bike and or your riding better it will. Necessary? No. Want it? Yes! Get it, Next. 😄 Later,

One night several months ago at woodys wood fired pizza,they had tricycle races around the bar for adults only on children size tricycle’s.Your probably thinkin right now that there’s no way a 300 plb. Clyde such as myself could ride a childrens tricycle to victory,HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA.Laugh as you may,but it happened,and maby it was only a heat race I won,but by the time the main event came around,the pot metal cranks needed to be UPGRADED somthin terrible,and so the story goes that without an UPGRADE,so too went the clyde back to the pizza bar….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.At least it proves that my desire to pedal anything with pedals and wheels is the real deal….the end….. 😃

I uaually upgrade as i break things….. However, sometimes there is the occasional "bling" upgrade along the way too.. This is my hobby, or as my wife calls it, my stripper bar.. I do not go to stripper bars, but i do spend some ones one bike stuff! Its fun, healthy, competitive, and it is a great hobby. As long as you are using your bike, heck, go for it! I would say that comfort, position, and tires definately should be the primary points you look at first as well. Then sure, some sweet hydro brakes are definately in line. Have fun and show us photos when ya add on!

Ok, Just two things to say..

I would suggest, before you start upgrading things is to learn how your bike works, and how to maintain it. I’s sure the brakes grinding against the Tire (or rim…?) is not an issue that warrants an upgrade, you’re just going to have grinding noisy disc rubbing in the caliper then.

If the wheel alignment on your car is off.. getting new tires is not going to fix the issue.

Getting a Lighter derailleur is VASTLY different from changing your handlebars just for the color.
      Shaving weight is almost always a good thing (unless you go too far and sacrifice durability), but a lighter derailleur will also have a quicker, crisper, and.. lighter shifting action. Compare stamped metal derailleur to a carbon cage one and it’s going to seem like it’s flying across the cassette.

For now, I would suggest you invest your time and money in learning about your bike first. (like buy one of the bike maintenance manuals from Park Tools or Zinn). Any upgrades before then would just be a waste (a poorly installed and maintained set of disc brakes is not going to make any difference from a set of V-brakes)

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.