660mm to 725mm bars

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I am so stoked! I currently have some 660mm wide bars on my Kona HT and I was constantly hanging my hands off the ends to feel more comfortable. Today I picked up a RaceFace Turbine 725mm wide bar (in blue!) and I can’t freakin wait to finish up with work and go put it on and test it out.

I changed from 640 to 740 on my Trek. Need some time to get used to it, but I love it now

Watch out for tight spots, like between trees. You’ll like that extra leverage

I am taking a shake down spin tomorrow. There is a spot on the trail that goes between two trees and I’ll have to see how that works out. Its always felt tight to me at speed.

I’ve found that 680-690mm is the sweet spot for me. I also use barends. I’ve ran as wide as either 720 or 740 (I can’t remember which) but it was too wide, too many tight spots ’round here. It does feel really good when descending at high speed though, so long as you’ve got room 😆

Here’s an example. As you can see in the 2nd pic, I wasn’t the first to clip this tree!

Dustin, I get to really try out my new wheels tomorrow too. See how they feel on the track I ride. I can’t wait! Its been so long with out riding. Trails are finally clear and just some small patches of snow/ice.

That’s narrow 😮

"dgaddis" wrote

btw. I’m running the same grips, like you did

I’m running 700 mm bars on my Dakar and there were a couple of spots on our local trail that were pretty tight. I always looked forward to those areas because of the challenge of clearing them without slowing way down. Unfortunately, in one of the spots, someone got tired of the squeeze and cut down the small tree on one side. Really bummed me out!

Crazy!! I run 740’s on both my current bikes but have used up to a 750. Now that I’m totally adapted, it’s hard for me to believe that bars haven’t always been this big. I guess I might feel differently if I was riding in tight woods like the photo above but it is beautiful.

"dgaddis" wrote

I’ve found that 680-690mm is the sweet spot for me.

That’s what my daughter runs. So, you know, if you want to ride like a 12 year old girl … 😼

"maddslacker" wrote

That’s what my daughter runs. So, you know, if you want to ride like a 12 year old girl … 😼

Easy dude, I run a 685 on my HT 😆

"ollysj" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":10ajxe8m]That’s what my daughter runs. So, you know, if you want to ride like a 12 year old girl … 😼

Easy dude, I run a 685 on my HT 😆[/quote:10ajxe8m]
      Same logic applies. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="ollysj":28l3ys8b][quote="maddslacker":28l3ys8b]That’s what my daughter runs. So, you know, if you want to ride like a 12 year old girl … 😼

Easy dude, I run a 685 on my HT 😆[/quote:28l3ys8b]
      Same logic applies. 😆[/quote:28l3ys8b]800mm bar is ordered…. 😮

Serious, riding the HT almost only on gravel- and fireroads, I’m okay with 685mm. On the FS I run a 740mm bar, what give me more control on trails

I just upgraded her to 740’s. Her in depth review, "I like it, they feel better."

"tonkota" wrote

Dustin, I get to really try out my new wheels tomorrow too. See how they feel on the track I ride. I can’t wait! Its been so long with out riding. Trails are finally clear and just some small patches of snow/ice.

Hey Aaron, good to hear man! Let me know what you think once you get some miles.

And Cory – haters gonna hate 😄

I ran 800s for a while, but eventually I realized that that’s just too wide for my shoulders. I have relatively wide shoulders for as short as I am, but 800 is just a bit too wide. Now, I generally run between 710-760ish, with 720-740 feeling like the sweet spot (of course, a bit of this depends on the length of stem you’re running, top tube length, etc).

But if you’re going to buy a bar, there’s no reason NOT to buy an 800. You can always make it shorter, but you can’t make it longer.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

But if you’re going to buy a bar, there’s no reason NOT to buy an 800. You can always make it shorter, but you can’t make it longer.

Eh, that depends. Some bars are reinforced on the ends for bar ends (and to withstand clamping from clamp on grips). So depending on how much you want to cut off, with an 800mm wide bar you may lop off that reinforced section. No bueno.

I’ve got a 750mm "wingspan" and it rocks. Originally bought the bars with intent to cut down (factory marked) but liked them wide after the first test ride. I’ve got no problem clearing tight singletrack…wider bar=more control. Now, at some point, the law of diminishing returns takes its rightful place but the inverse is also true if you’re considering going narrow(er). Everybody is built different but for me 750mm is the sweetspot. My only problem is cruising at speed through the gate opening between the parking lot and trailhead where I ride…it is literally 752mms. 😃

Be careful going to wider bars, I went from 620 mm to 720 mm and broke my collar bone on the first ride! 😆

I did learn my lesson, I went from 720 to 777 and haven’t broken anything! (yet…)

I really like the extra control/leverage of the wider bars and the shorter stem (90 mm down to 50 mm) made a bike more lively!

UPDATE:

I LOVE THESE 725mm WIDE BARS!

I have been on quite a few rides now; technical, fast and night rides and I absolutely love the comfort and the control. I feel more confident as a rider.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.