5'6" 29er size selection

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I’m 5’6 1/2″ 🙂 and decided on the Kona Honzo AL/DL.  It seems I’m right in between a medium or small.  Which would be the better choice?

Thank you!

It is a big decision.  If you haven’t already, I strongly recommend that you get on each sized bike and test ride them.  In years gone by I would almost always recommended going with a size up, but now with the longer “reaches” on these more recent frames, I do not think that’s such a good rule of thumb.  The models of Kona bikes that I have read up on seem to have longer reach measurements, but I don’t know on the Honzo.  Hmmmm.  At 5.’6″ I would generally think that you would do better in a medium than a small for most bikes.  Of course if you have test ridden both bikes and feel like you are going to need a long stem for the small frame, then I would move up to the medium frame and go with a short stem.

LBS brought in the medium Honzo AL/DL.  I’ll hop on it tomorrow.  Let’s see how it fits..

Smart.  Take your time.  If it is not clear at the store, I would ask if you could demo both bikes on a local trail.  It is a big purchase.

If it’s not too late- I’m 5′ 7” and I ride a medium 29er. The medium fits perfect for me, if not slightly too small. I could probably push it to a large, but I like bikes to run on the larger side. Many of the small bikes, even 29ers, that I’ve ridden felt almost like kids bikes. As a fellow 29er MTBer with a similar height as you, I’d would think the medium would be better.

Medium fit great!

So I picked up the Kona Honzo AL/DL in medium.  Also had Matt & Veronica throw on a set of RaceFace Atlas pedals, and had them convert to tubeless setup.

Thanks for all the advice!

Another Happy Camper!!

2018 Honzo AL/DL

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.