2×9 to a 1×10

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hi new here! :). I have just purchased a vitue neucleus 27 vr 2017. I am looking to swap to a 1×10 from a 2×9. Is this possible?. Sorry just getting into mountain biking again after a long long time. Put it this way the last bike I bought new was a marin monocoque with rock shox Judy dh forks. Now there’s all these new standards and jargon lol.</p>

Please help if you can.

Thanks 😉

Not sure, but if you can, do it. It’s a major upgrade. Not sure about a 1×10, but there are 1×12, and 1×11 out there.

Thanks. Would a 1×11 or 1×12 fit on the hub?

Not sure. Give your local bike shop a call.

The short answer is yes (for a Shimano 1x).  However, you need to ask yourself if this is worth the investment given that aside from the cassette you’ll likely need to replace the rear derailleur, bottom bracket, shifters & chainring.  (If you went SRAM route you’d also likely need to replace the hub as well).

Along the lines with what rmap01 asked about the cost, do you need more than the 9 gears/speeds you have? A few years ago I converted a 3×9 I had to a 1×9. I left the middle ring on the front and took the the low and high out. I left the derailleur guide the front adjusted to the chain line as a chain guide. I took the front shifter off the bars and the cabling running to the front derailleur. This simplified the bike, reduced the weight and the 9 remaining gears were enough for where I live. Maybe this accomplishes your goals and saves you money. Later if you find you want/need those extra gears then you can do it.

Can I ask why you want to do this? The 2 x 9 setup you have has a pretty remarkable range of gearing with an incredibly low gear for climbing (22×36, somewhere around 16 or 17 gear inches). I don’t think converting to a 1 x system would give you a wider range, so the question is if you are having trouble with the front deraullier, want the simplicity of a single system, or are wanting to change because 1x systems seem to be preponderant now. Also, the bike has excellent ratings but the cost of conversion might be a significant percentage of the cost of the bike.

Upgrading to a 1×10 would likely be a waste of money because 1×10 drivetrains have a very narrow range.  A 382% 11-42 1×10 cassette just doesn’t have enough range .  If you upgrade to the wide-range Shimano Deore 1×11 with a 463% 11-51 cassette or the Sram Eagle SX 1×12 with a 455% 11-50 cassette, then you would have enough range.   The parts for either of these drivetrains would cost about $300.   However, both of these drivetrains probably have less range than your current 2×9 drivetrain.  If your current drivetrain works well or maybe just needs a new chain or cassette, I would just keep it.  If you do go to a 1x drivetrain, make the jump to 450% or more wide range cassettes in 1×11 or 1×12.

I just want to simplify the system. The Altus mech that’s on it has quite a lot of play. I’ve now seen a 11-42t 9 speed cassette Microshift £17.99. A Microshift Advent 9 speed derailleur with clutch £34.99. I already have a raceface 32t Narrow wide ring. So I’m thinking of a 1×9 now as the cost would only be £50. What you think?

With an 11-42 cassette and a 32 chainring, you will not get a very low gear.  If where you ride is fairly flat, you might be fine.  But, if you have a lot of long steep climbs, you’ll be wishing for a lower low gear.  It’s steep where I live.  I have an older bike with a 1×11 10-42 cassette and a 26 chainring and I often wish I had an even lower gear.

With an 11-42 cassette and a 32 chainring, you will not get a very low gear.  If where you ride is fairly flat, you might be fine.  But, if you have a lot of long steep climbs, you’ll be wishing for a lower low gear.  It’s steep where I live.  I have an older bike with a 1×11 10-42 cassette and a 26 chainring and I often wish I had an even lower gear.

Also, you haven’t added in the price of a new chain and shifter!  The Microshift drivetrain likely requires it’s own dedicated Microshift shifter.  I wouldn’t install a new drivetrain without installing a new chain. And while you’re at it, a new cable and housing would also be a good idea if you want to get the best shifting performance.

In addition, a 2x crank might lead to a bad chain line which could adversely affect shifting performance and chain retention.  1x drivetrains work best with 1x cranks because the chain line is perfectly centered.  Your 2x crank might work fine but you won’t know until you try it.

Converting to 1x is not as simple as it might seem. You’re probably better off keeping your 2×9 drivetrain.

Food for thought!. Thanks for all the info! 🙂

I say go for it! I upgraded my inexpensive fat bike to 1X and it was well worth it. 12 speed will not fit the hub, nor will sram 11 speed, but shimano 11 speed will fit. For an affordable wide range cassette get a sunrace 11-46. If you want to go 11-50 you will also need the wolf tooth goat link to allow the shimano derailleur to work. Just about any 11 speed chain will work. Any brand 1X crank/chainring will be fine too. Or you could look at one of the other drivetrain companies like Box. They seem cool but I have no experience with them. Sounds like you are probably going to have a shop do the install so just make sure to check compatibility of everything with them when ordering your parts. Good luck!

Thanks. Yeh think I’m gona go for it. I have managed to pick up this. Any good?  Paid £90 for it.

Fantastic 10 speed groupset in near-perfect condition, customised with aftermarket parts from Garbaruk for an ultralight wide-range drivetrain. The following are included:

– SRAM X0 type 2 derailleur, with aftermarket Garbaruk cage. This offsets the top pulley and allows fitment of wide range cassettes, whilst also enabling the top jockey wheel to track the cassette much more closely. It basically gives you the simplicity and easy setup of 10 speed with a complete wide range cassette solution. I can include the original carbon derailleur cage (medium) too on request. There are some light scratches to the aluminium parts of the derailleur but overall excellent cosmetics and perfect working order.

– SRAM X0 shifter, stock setup. Fully adjustable in all the usual ways. Almost immaculate, just slight cable rub from brake lines.

– Garbaruk / XT Conversion cassette, 11-42. This is a combination of Garbaruk’s three aluminium cogs on a carrier, with the remainder of an XT cassette. Check out their website for more detail – it’s a lovely bit of machining and gives a nice smooth spread of gears, much better than a step-up cog. There’s very little wear to the aluminium part of the cassette, just the usual cosmetic rub from shifting. The whole cassette weighs in at just 270g. That’s 100g less than SRAM’s current generation eagle…

Its fairly flat round here. Will be taking it to the bike parks but not that often .

– SRAM PC1051 chain, in great, clean condition.

<p style=”text-align: center;”>.</p>

I just recently changed from a 3 X 8 Shimano Acera to a Shimano Deore  M6000 3 X 10 setup with a 11-42 cassette .  Initaily  I wanted to wanted to go to a 1 X 10 but after thoroughly thinking all I really wanted was rear derailleur with a clutch to stop the chain slap kinda wished I just got the derailleure.  Shimano just released their M6100 lineup which is a 1 X 12 system thats compatible to the higher SLX and XT groupset it may be another option for you.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.