29er to a 26er?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum 29er to a 26er?

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  maineskiaddict 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

About 2 years ago, I bought a GF FS 29er and it has been great. But today, my LBS told me that I can take one of his 26er FS for a spin. I did, and it was an awesome ride! I’m thinking of going back to a 26 er and I’m curious if anyone has done the same.

I did and I don’t regret it one bit. After 2 years on the 29er, I demoed a Trek EX 8 and loved every second of it. From there, I went to a Santa Cruz Blur and it was bliss. Feels snappy, exciting, and more enjoyable for the kind of riding I prefer.

"maineskiaddict" wrote

After 2 years on the 29er, and more enjoyable for the kind of riding I prefer.

@mainskiaddict,what kind of riding do you prefer?Just curious

"maineskiaddict" wrote

I did and I don’t regret it one bit. After 2 years on the 29er, I demoed a Trek EX 8 and loved every second of it. From there, I went to a Santa Cruz Blur and it was bliss. Feels snappy, exciting, and more enjoyable for the kind of riding I prefer.

Like Steve32300, I am curious about the stuff you ride. I have a Blur LT and love it. Almost all of my riding buddies in VA and WV have switched to 29’ers. I will probably get a 29er at some point, but really have been satisfied on a 26 in bike. We ride XC/AM type trails with quite a few rocks, my buds say the 29 bikes just roll over the rocks a lot better.

I demoed a Trek HiFi 29er and really liked it. I hadn’t ridden a suspension MTB in years and the new bikes are awesome. The weight didn’t bother me like I thought it would and the lower gears made up for the larger wheels. Starting off on hills was supposed to be harder but the gearing helped. The biggest thing about 29ers is they are smoother over bumps and rock, logs ect. After riding the 29er I noticed something. My 26er is smoother over stuff if you go faster like on the 29er. Wheel diameter and speed smooth things out but it is easier to go faster on the 29er if it’s not too technical. My next bike will probably be a 29er. I want to try a 69er and see how it feels. I was born confused and stay that way. 😄 Later,

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Like Steve32300, I am curious about the stuff you ride. I have a Blur LT and love it. Almost all of my riding buddies in VA and WV have switched to 29’ers. I will probably get a 29er at some point, but really have been satisfied on a 26 in bike. We ride XC/AM type trails with quite a few rocks, my buds say the 29 bikes just roll over the rocks a lot better.

The stuff I ride is a bit of everything. Mostly XC/AM. A lot of Maine riding has your typical rocks, roots thrown in between some great buffed out trail. Only a few places are super "tech-y".

It might be because I am a heavier rider or my legs still aren’t super strong but I find I couldn’t quite the wheels up to speed to take advantage of the extra contact point, etc. through the tough sections. It felt big, awkward, and fairly dead. Fun, but nowhere near as fun as my 26.

I was out for my first ride of the season with the Blur yesterday and I had a blast. I still don’t regret selling the 29er.