29 inch SOH

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Good morning everyone. I have been looking and thinking of buying a 29er, but ran into an issue. I was at the store the other day buying a new ride for my son, and jumped on a few different 29’s looking for a feel for them for myself. I tried a large (which I would normally ride). It felt like I had sat down on the top tube and lifted my feet off the ground. So I put it back and grabbed a medium. Exact same thing. Tried a small. Same thing. Every size of frame that I could find all felt like the tube was attempting to lodge itself somewhere in the vicinity of my pancreas.

How are you supposed to check sizes for a proper fit on this size of bike? Once I was on, the small just felt too small. The medium was close, and the large felt just fine, except for the possibility of racking myself if and when I bail out forwards.

Any thoughts?

Several factors come into play such as the model and design of the bike, your height, your leg length, etc…

I would suggest getting with an LBS salesperson/tech and having them help you out. If you have never been on a 29er it will definitely feel very different and probably awkward at first.

Is it normal on a 29 that you have 0" or less…

I’ll go in and chat with them, but I was just wondering if that was a standard issue with the increased height of the bike.

It may be the model you were trying. Different models have different shapes and fits. If you are on the shorter side though you may run into that problem regardless (but since you usually ride a large frame Im guessing not). It is a common complaint about 29ers being too "tall" for some riders. If that is the case then look into the 650b (27.5) size wheels. 26" is likely on the way it and 27.5 is the replacement for those who can’t or don’t want to ride 29.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.