27.5 full suspension – new bike advice – 5010?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum 27.5 full suspension – new bike advice – 5010?

--
SHARES

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have been riding Florida trails for 3-4 months on a trek hardtail that I just sold, there are some steep ups and downs, rock and roots (believe it or not we do have some hills at old mines) and tight corners and some technical trails. No extreme downhill riding though. There are also long flat trails.
      I want to upgrade to a full suspension bike, good for trails here.
      I am really leaning towards 27.5 wheels.
      I can go up to around 4k.
      Im looking at maybe the 5010 or trance, as they can order them at my local shop. Not sure how much travel i need for the florida trails, any advice here? Was thinking around 130-140?
      Any other suggestions for a versitile 27.5 trail bike?
      Would the 5010 be good for all purpose bike? I don’t really do big jumps/ fancy tricks like its advertised for, is the bike only good for people who do that type of riding?

I think a 130mm rear travel 27.5 or a 120mm rear travel 29er would be good.   I would be looking for a bike that was recently updated so that you can get the latest modern geometry.   The 27.5 2021 Ibis Mojo and Santa Cruz 5010 were just recently updated and both look to be excellent bikes.   For 120mm 29ers, the Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Ripley, and Norco Fluid FS all look very good.  The Trance has not had a recent update.   Personally,  I would go with a 29er.

I would checkout the local bike shop, and see what bike they recommend on your trails.

Frankly, I am strung out on my RSD Wildcat. The 2020 model is capable of 29 x 2.6 or 27.5 x 3.0 rubber. Sliding dropouts are standard and allow for some tweaking.  There is nothing like a plusser for loose terrain and it is as plush as it gets. Magic carpet ride!

Onward with the advise… Test ride the 5010 and any other makes/models before you pull the trigger! Good shops will rent the bike to ya for a few days or a week to give a good shakedown. At the end of the rental, they should be willing to apply that rental fee toward your purchase if you do pull the trigger. Do ride a handful of different before tho’ since it is a large ticket item.

Viewing 3 reply threads