2020 Specialized Chisel Comp vs. REI Co-op DRT 2.1

Forums Mountain Bike Forum 2020 Specialized Chisel Comp vs. REI Co-op DRT 2.1

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I’m in the market for my first mountain bike, and I’m struggling between new and used. Market seems a little inflated for the used bikes. However, I have two options I’m eyeing.

First is the REI Co-op DRT 2.1. Currently $1,000 on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $1,300. Includes tubeless tires and a dropper post. I found someone in the local area who is selling it for $1,200. Seems like a good model for someone who wants to grow with their bike.

Next option is a 2020 Specialized Chisel Comp at $1,100, but I can probably talk them down. Nice overall build, but only has 80mm of travel in its fork (I need an XS frame). It’s a cross-country bike, which I’d probably do a majority of the time, but I would like a bike that allows me to go downhill and through trails if I wanted. I don’t plan on doing any jumps or blacks. I think this model could handle it, but maybe I’m a newb. Also doesn’t come with a dropper post.

If I’m reading it right, 99 Spokes rates the spec level higher on the REI bike than the Specialized. Which of the two would you choose and are they listed at a good price?

The Spec has a following on MTBR. Does it include warranty?

Used, you have no warranty, so there is that.

Frankly, new vs. used, you know the bike’s history and it has not been abused. Just thoughts to consider.  Parts that wear out can be replaced with groovier parts. There are the typical items like seat, tires, bars and grips but that too can wait until you get in the groove with you bike.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.