New to the sport…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Well Kind of… I’ve always had a mountain bike, either one I picked up at the town dump and fixed up as a kid, or my specialized hardrock I’ve been using since high school on the old roads and trails here in New England. But I recently was able to get a good deal on a Kona Precept (not DL) so I said "why not". I have always been into the idea of DH and all mountain riding but was always too afraid to put the money into a bike and maybe not totally get hooked. I had looked on craigslist from time to time at specialized enduros and stuff but never pulled the trigger, so when this came along I finally did it.

Now I know the Precept is more of a cross country bike than a DH, but I thought it would be a good way to get myself comfortable on more serious trails, get better as a rider and eventually feel comfortable spending the money on something I will really utilize.

So I’m wondering, as I’m progressing and learning, are there things I’d should be keeping in mind to maybe upgrade on the kona down the road? Things that are important to focus on in my riding that should come first? I’ve done a good amount of research but don’t really know what to do with all the information I’m coming across. Hopefully I’ll come across some riders in my area that I can learn from too.

Anyways…Thanks for having me!

-Bob

If your from New England check out Nemba. They have group rides great place the get advice and learn skills. Best upgrade to my precept dl has been the front tire. Ardents a good tire but washes out in corners.

Kona Precept is a very capable bike with pretty good components. I test rode one and was impressed with what you get at this price level. I learned to ride MTB in New England. This bike can really handle some awesome trails there without any problems. Now you just need to improve your cardio and skills.

Have fun riding your new awesome bike.

The Precept has 120mm of travel, right? I have a Kona Coiler with 120mm and i ride the hell out of it on everything from cross country trails to bike park dh. You shouldn’t have any issues. It is a good size as a learning bike for dh, if that is what you really want to do. You won’t have all the plushness of the real long travel bikes, but you can still have a ton of fun on it. IMO, I wouldn’t worry too much about upgrading that bike. Learn on it, and if you really like dh, save up for something longer travel. The Precept will be a good do-everything ride for you!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.