2014 Scott Scale 950 trail bike?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking to get back into mountain biking after a 10 year hiatus…I’ve been looking for a hardtail trail bike (Goblin Evo, Kona Taro, Diamondback Mason, etc). I’ve found a pretty good deal on a new 2014 Scott Scale 950 for $1430. My question is, with its sub 70 head angle and decently short chain stay, could I just replace the 100mm fork and put on a 120-130mm to create more of a trail bike than a XC? I’m also open to other suggestions for a trail hardtail under $1500. Thanks for any advice.

I’m looking to get back into mountain biking after a 10 year hiatus…I’ve been looking for a hardtail trail bike (Goblin Evo, Kona Taro, Diamondback Mason, etc). I’ve found a pretty good deal on a new 2014 Scott Scale 950 for $1430. My question is, with its sub 70 head angle and decently short chain stay, could I just replace the 100mm fork and put on a 120-130mm to create more of a trail bike than a XC? I’m also open to other suggestions for a trail hardtail under $1500. Thanks for any advice.

I guess it would help to mention that all these bikes I’ve been looking for are sold out within a 500 mile radius of me.

I’d personally go with the Goblin EVO. It’s cheaper to begin with, has the 120mm fork you’re looking for, and a similar level of components, plus it’s available and is shipped to you. You won’t have to worry about a 500 mile drive!

"gar29" wrote

I’d personally go with the Goblin EVO. It’s cheaper to begin with, has the 120mm fork you’re looking for, and a similar level of components, plus it’s available and is shipped to you. You won’t have to worry about a 500 mile drive!

I can’t tell you how high you just got my hopes…They’re still sold out of the 18 inch. They’re even sold out of the 20 inch. I would’ve ordered it already. I have found the Diamondback that I could order from a distance but wouldn’t be able to test ride it first. I know the 2016 models are coming out soon. Maybe I’ll just wait for them. I hate to lose an entire summer of riding though.

"Steeeeed" wrote

I can’t tell you how high you just got my hopes…They’re still sold out of the 18 inch. They’re even sold out of the 20 inch. I would’ve ordered it already.

Oh man, sorry about that! It looked like they were still available when I checked it out!

Back to your question on head tube angle, the Kona has 68 and Airborne has 69 and the Scott has 69.5 head tube angle. Sounds like the 120mm would work. Probably wouldn’t be the best for climbing. You could always look into a adjustable angle headset if you aren’t satisfied with it.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.