2012 Bible of Bike Tests from Brevard, NC is out

Forums Mountain Bike Forum 2012 Bible of Bike Tests from Brevard, NC is out

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

The 2012 edition of Bikemag’s "Bible of Bike Tests" is out! This year is very special to all of us in the southeast as it gives the fame and renown that is due to the Brevard-area at last! Featuring the awesome trails of Pisgah national forest and Dupont state forest, the editors just can’t stop raving about these trails! If you don’t have a subscription, be sure to pick up this issue when it hits newsstands.

But for now, be sure to check out their online photo galleries from the test:

http://www.bikemag.com/bike-bible-gravi … 84ba1a33c9
      http://www.bikemag.com/bike-bible-cross … s-country/
      http://www.bikemag.com/bike-bible-all-m … -mountain/
      http://www.bikemag.com/bike-bible-trail … ery-trail/

I have to give it to BIKE magazine. They have the best photographers in the biz. Its so rare that you get a shot that totally captures the essence of a trail but they nailed it on every one. Those pics of Farlow Gap sent me into instant flashback mode. Those morning shots of Cedar Rock look like something out of a dream with the mist and the sunrise. I rode it in mid afternoon but somehow that shot is exactly what my brain decided to remember from the trail. Thankfully they didn’t include a pic of one of their guys falling in the water on the submerged slickrock crossing up above Bridal Veil falls or I’d be having much less enjoyable flashbacks. 😳

BIKE’s photography is great. So is their writing, love the mag, it’s one of only two bike magazines I subscribe to (Dirt Rag is the other).

BUT.

Where are the hardtails??? Not even 1 hardtail in their ‘bible’. There are a TON of riders who still enjoy riding and racing hardtails…seems crazy they’d not include at least one.

"dgaddis" wrote

BIKE’s photography is great. So is their writing, love the mag, it’s one of only two bike magazines I subscribe to (Dirt Rag is the other).

BUT.

Where are the hardtails??? Not even 1 hardtail in their ‘bible’. There are a TON of riders who still enjoy riding and racing hardtails…seems crazy they’d not include at least one.

They did the same thing last year, and had a big lash back. Their response was something along the lines of, "there’s only so much space in one magazine, and a hardtail is a hardtail… it really isn’t all that complicated."

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Their response was something along the lines of, "there’s only so much space in one magazine, and a hardtail is a hardtail… it really isn’t all that complicated."

A sure sign of a full-featured and well-rounded source of information.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":1lgniy83]BIKE’s photography is great. So is their writing, love the mag, it’s one of only two bike magazines I subscribe to (Dirt Rag is the other).

BUT.

They did the same thing last year, and had a big lash back. Their response was something along the lines of, "there’s only so much space in one magazine, and a hardtail is a hardtail… it really isn’t all that complicated."[/quote:1lgniy83]

Yeah. I mean, they’re only either made of titanium or carbon fiber or aluminum or steel or bamboo or some combination. And only either geared or single speed or internally geared hubs or belt drive. And the geometry and desired ride charactoristics are all the same too….right? 😆

I think it just comes down to what the manufacturers will send them, and for something this highly publicized they want to show off their latest and greatest most technology filled rides. And, the BIKE group doesn’t seem to care for hardtails in general, and especially not singlespeeds. On their site they have 6 pages of bike reviews, each with about 10 bikes, and only 4 hardtails, and one of those is a trials bike.

Meanwhile, Dirt Rag is currently reviewing 3 singlespeeds, one of which is a full custom handbuilt beauty. Shoot, they’re even reviewing a rigid singlespeed dropbar monstercross/commuter/29er thing.

Between the two mags, you get to see it all!

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":1t9ekttd][quote="dgaddis":1t9ekttd]BIKE’s photography is great. So is their writing, love the mag, it’s one of only two bike magazines I subscribe to (Dirt Rag is the other).

BUT.

They did the same thing last year, and had a big lash back. Their response was something along the lines of, "there’s only so much space in one magazine, and a hardtail is a hardtail… it really isn’t all that complicated."[/quote:1t9ekttd]

Yeah. I mean, they’re only either made of titanium or carbon fiber or aluminum or steel or bamboo or some combination. And only either geared or single speed or internally geared hubs or belt drive. And the geometry and desired ride charactoristics are all the same too….right? 😆

I think it just comes down to what the manufacturers will send them, and for something this highly publicized they want to show off their latest and greatest most technology filled rides. And, the BIKE group doesn’t seem to care for hardtails in general, and especially not singlespeeds. On their site they have 6 pages of bike reviews, each with about 10 bikes, and only 4 hardtails, and one of those is a trials bike.

Meanwhile, Dirt Rag is currently reviewing 3 singlespeeds, one of which is a full custom handbuilt beauty. Shoot, they’re even reviewing a rigid singlespeed dropbar monstercross/commuter/29er thing.

Between the two mags, you get to see it all![/quote:1t9ekttd]

Maybe they just know generally what their respective audiences want to read about, and then cater to that? Seems smart to me to be really good at a few things instead of trying to be decent at everything…

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Maybe they just know generally what their respective audiences want to read about, and then cater to that? Seems smart to me to be really good at a few things instead of trying to be decent at everything…

I’m sure that’s part of it too. BIKE seems to have a very west-coast/Pacific NW/all-mountain/free-ride feel to it, whereas Dirt Rag is more east coast/XC/trail feel. I really do like both of them.

But, if you’re showing off the latest XC Race bikes, how is there not a hardtail in there somewhere?

I would bet it has more to do with what their advertisers are pushing.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":11n0kzf5]

I’m sure that’s part of it too. BIKE seems to have a very west-coast/Pacific NW/all-mountain/free-ride feel to it, whereas Dirt Rag is more east coast/XC/trail feel. I really do like both of them.

But, if you’re showing off the latest XC Race bikes, how is there not a hardtail in there somewhere?[/quote:11n0kzf5]

True that, I’d imagine there should be at least one…

To play devils advocate, reviewing 15+ HT bikes on a basis of frame design (materials and geometry) would get a bit tedious and the results would be highly subjective to personal riding preferences and styles. I have to admit that reading reviews of a bikes geometry get boring quickly.

Yes, you can also distinguish bikes by components and price. However, price is one of those things that isn’t really stressed in any bike review unless it’s deemed to be simply ridiculously low or high. Components are normally so interchangeable between bikes that its almost better to review them separately from the frame as long as the frame design will allow them to function as a part of the bike. BIKE does component reviews and groupo reviews all year long so there’s not a lot of need to double up in one magazine.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

To play devils advocate, reviewing 15+ HT bikes on a basis of frame design (materials and geometry) would get a bit tedious and the results would be highly subjective to personal riding preferences and styles. I have to admit that reading reviews of a bikes geometry get boring quickly.

I’m with you. Personally, I think that if you know the frame material, Geo numbers, component spec, weight, and price you basically already know how a HT is going to ride. Of course, how all of those factors combine to make a unique bike is enough to make a review worth reading, but reading numerous HT reviews [i:arbg4zx2]would[/i:arbg4zx2] get tedious

I actually really dug the issue. I too miss the hardtail reviews as I am sure there is still plenty to offer in that arena. I also speculate advertising/ manufacturers pushing the latest and greatest at them had a lot to do with it.

If nothing else, it really got me thinking about coming down to NC to check out Brevard. Pisgah sounds rugged but the scene sounds amazing. It’s also a lot closer than a lot of stuff out west. I appreciate how they give due diligence to all aspects of riding in the area, not just the "gnar".

FWIW – I wonder if Bike ever does a "budget friendly" review. You know, something along the lines of, ‘I am on a strict budget of >$2000.(enter arbitrary amount here) What is the best bike in each category for my money?"

The regular monthly issues of BIKE almost always have 3-4 bikes with some sort of common characteristics that they review. I know I have seen a couple issues where the common factor was that the bikes were all in the intermediate price range. Maybe not $2k, but close.

There’s an mag from the UK called WHAT Mountain Bike that actually reviews the stuff normal people buy on a pretty consistant basis. $1,000 bikes and under. They still review the high end stuff to, but it’s nice to see the more budget friendly rides featured. It can tough to find the mag here in the States tho.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 … |Frontpage

The low-simmering mountain biking buzz will bubble up to a full boil today when the top blows off “America’s best-kept secret” in mountain biking.
      “People know about Brevard and Transylvania County up and down the East Coast, but this puts the proof in the pudding,” said Dickson, who is featured in the magazine’s main story. “It’s validating what everyone says.”

Bike magazine, which is based in California and has a circulation of about 45,000, is considered one of the top mountain biking magazines in the country. It picks a different destination for its gear-testing issue each year, well-known biking meccas such as Whistler, British Columbia, and Bellingham, Wash.

Transylvania County is expecting a noticeable impact.

“We’re very excited about it,” said Kristy Harris, chair of the Transylvania County Tourism Development Authority, which invited Bike to town last year. “We’re expecting a lot more people to come and visit this area for the first time and utilize DuPont and Pisgah National Forest trails. The magazine editorial spoke so well of our biking community, people will come here and feel like they know the cyclists.”

Brevard’s mountain biking bounty started getting more notice three or four years ago, Campbell said. In 2009 and ’10, Brevard College’s mountain bike team won consecutive national championships; the Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race — a five-day, 195-mile race — began in 2009 and now has the largest cash purse in the country, attracting America’s top riders and Olympic cyclists; and national media began paying attention.
      Felton said he believes there will be positive impact on the region from the Bike coverage, helping the area grow its eco-tourism, much the way similar factory towns such as Moab, Utah, and Fruita, Calif., used mountain biking to bounce back after losing manufacturing jobs.

“Brevard is a place that has an opportunity to be one of a kind,” Felton said. “It is a place that has untapped, unlimited potential.”

Viewing 15 reply threads