2011 Trek Fuel ex 8 components upgrade

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

hey guys.. if you were to upgrade any components for this bike what would it be and why?
      thanks.

Next to the tires – nothing

All I upgraded on my 2009 FuelEx8 was the drivetrain to XT, when I changed to 3×10 and the brakes to Shimano SLX, after I had some trouble with the Juciy

You could upgrade the frame to Giant. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

You could upgrade the frame to Giant. 😆

Upgrade, not downgrade 😄

cool! thanks for the replies.

I have changed my tires to Specialized The Captain Control 2bliss and such a difference than the stock tires.

Im a newbie to MTB (2 years or <) and hoping to do more (higher) drops in the future, do you think this rims will handle the drops or can the bike handle it? TBH maybe the highest I’ll drop from is 5 feet.. 😳

thx

I’d say, you have the wrong bike…

I have owned a trek fuel for five years now.Try Kenda Nevegal tires. Otherwise leave bike alone. But i would NOT drop in from five feet. Bike was not designed for that unless you weigh about ten pounds. Fuel was never meant for big drops…

"up2trouble" wrote

I have owned a trek fuel for five years now.Try Kenda Nevegal tires. Otherwise leave bike alone. But i would NOT drop in from five feet. Bike was not designed for that unless you weigh about ten pounds. Fuel was never meant for big drops…

+1 for sure.

I have ridden my ’08 EX8 pretty hard over the past few years, but I would never consider doing drops of 5′ on it. That’s even if I had the skills to pull it off! 😀 I’m not sure if even the Remedy is rated for something like that.

Oh, and to answer your original question: When I wore out my original drivetrain, I replaced it with an SRAM X0 setup with a Stylo 3.3 crankset. I have really enjoyed the switch. I also changed out the handlebars, stem, and seatpost to the Bontrager Rhythm line; but that had nothing to do with performance, just tweaking the cockpit for fit.

I haven’t dropped it above 2 feet, I’m still working on the skills and the nerves to do it!! It’s very intimidating! 😕

It’s good to know that the bike is not designed for that. I was always under the impression that since its a FS it was ok. I guess I need a DH bike if I decide to drop 5′ or more.

thanks again for the replies.

you can’t drop 5′ with it…but you can drop it 5’… 😼

Dude,

The EX8 is a XC bike. Talk to your LBS if you need to do the drops. Check out the Slash. I ride a 2012 EX8. I only changed the tires to some Mythos XC and added some Answer pedals (I like the flats). This bike screams up boulders, rocks and 30% grades.

i also ride a 2011 ex8 and agree with most of the others (with the exception of the giant frame ‘upgrade’ 😆 ) – i’ve changed nothing but the tires and the pedals. the stock tires suck if you do anything that isn’t paved.
      but i would definitely not recommend dropping 5 feet on it! i’ve done some rock steps that push 2+ feet, but i don’t take them too fast. maybe it’s because i don’t have the nerves, but i’d like to think i am looking out for my bike 😃

thanks for the info guys!

i have changed my tires to something with more knobs and changed the pedals to flats.. im not great with my balance yet and it’s the fastest way to get off the bike just in case! 😳

i think the highest i dropped with my bike is 2 feet or less 😳 .. i still dont have the nerves to drop higher and i dont know if i will ever. Just wanted to know if the bike can handle it.. maybe i just have to get a diff bike when im dropping 5+feet or more! (ya right) ha ha ha 😆

thanks again. 😃

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.