2005 Trek Fuel 70 Snapped Frame

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I just snapped the rear triangle where it bolts to the bottom bracket. 😮 The bike shop said it’s going to be 3 weeks before they hear back from Trek. They might send a new triangle or a whole new frame. Just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem with there Trek ?

"Sprocket78" wrote

Just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem with there Trek ?

Yup, happened to me on my older model. I got a crack near the tube that connects the chainstays. I caught the crack before it actually broke but I was still off the bike for a couple weeks waiting for the replacement. The guy at the shop told me he had seen it before on other Fuels. The new swingarm I got was built different; it used a smaller tube and had beefier welds. Even with the "crash warranty" it cost almost $200 to fix.

At this point little remains of my original Fuel. I’ve replaced all of the frame (except for the rocker arm to the rear shock), wheels, drive train, brakes, seat, pedals. On the other hand, it has just about 10,000 miles on it, so I guess there has been some wear-and-tear.

"bonkedagain" wrote

…..On the other hand, it has just about 10,000 miles on it, so I guess there has been some wear-and-tear.

You don’t say….. 😉

I’ve heard that Trek & Gary Fisher have the best track-record when it comes to warranty frame repair/replacement. You didn’t run into any resistance from Trek, did you?

"Bombardier" wrote

You didn’t run into any resistance from Trek, did you?

Understand that there is a difference between a defect claim and a crash claim. For my first claim I did a stupid crash and broke my frame. No defect there, so no right to ask for a free frame. For my second claim I had a crack show up after five years of hard riding. Maybe that would be a defect, but that would be tough to justify. I didn’t bother pushing it.

That said, I’ve done two crash replacement claims and never got any pushback. On the other hand, you aren’t getting a free frame, just a discounted one, so I don’t know why they would be motivated to give you any grief. I don’t think they are losing any money on them. I will say that the turnaround is very impressive; as soon as they receive your broken part they [i:3ek01deq]immediately[/i:3ek01deq] send a replacement. Not many companies deliver that kind of service.

Image 😮
      I just got my bike back from the shop 😆 . Trek sent me the same rear section. So I’m probably going to brake it again 😢 . The color is not an exact match, it’s a little bit lighter. I’m just glad to be back on it.

"Sprocket78" wrote

Yikes.

[color=red:3btue7r3][size=200:3btue7r3]O_o[/size:3btue7r3][/color:3btue7r3]

You must’ve been putting down some hellacious torque; or you were JRA… off a big drop to flat. 😉

I was just about done with my ride at Governor’s Creek . I was at the top of the last small hill……then SNAP 😮 I’ve never done any big drops or jumps with it. I have been doing some dig’n on the net and found out that it happens alot with the fuels. I was a little disappointed that trek sent the same frame section . 😕

Yup, that’s about the same place that mine broke…

Mine broke in the same place as well, just not as nasty looking.

Well, my replacement chainstay is now cracked. Sorry Trek, time to move on…

Bummer!

How much was the "discounted frame" if you don’t mind me asking ?

It’s been awhile, so I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was around $200.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.