1×9 or 2×9

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I was wondering if I should go 1×9 instead of staying my 2×9. I would put a chainguide on because I have somehow dropped my chain twice in 4 months. And this is on XC trails. And yes, the derailleur is adjusted right.

I would put on this:

Or this:

Which one then?

Are your rings worn down,shark tooth???Is your chain cut to the right length,I imagine it is cut to the right length,doesn’t hurt to ask.There shouldn’t be any reason to run a chain tensioner because your chain got thrown off.Usually a chain will start to drop because the rings are just getting to the point of excessive wear and you need to replace the rings..I am running the 2X9 myself,I need the granny gear because I am a big clydesdale at 300 plbs. And the climbs kick my butt anyway,until I get in shape that is. 😉 If your derailer’s are adjusted correctly,then that shouldn’t cause chain drop,but you don’t know for sure that that is the case,maby get a lbs to check too,I had that problem before even when a experienced bike mechanic thought he had it adjusted correctly,the chain came off until the bike mechanic got it right..I’m not familiar with those chain tensioners,they both look cool though…

Hey Steve, yes the chain is the right length, yes the dérailleur is adjusted right.

I am the local bike shop… 😆 I work there. The guys at the shop say go for it. I guess I will pull the trigger next paycheck.

Eh,I forgot you work in a bike shop dozzer,so why do you think your chain is coming off???Nothin worse than a mtsterious problem to wreck a ride, 😼

I think it is just my style of riding. I’m a pretty aggressive rider on the downhills. I think that the bouncing on all the roots and rocks is causing it to pop off. If I did go 1×9, what chain ring size would you suggest?

Dozzer,you gonna need that middle ring to pedal downhill if ya wanna go so fast,unless you like to coast downhill because with the 1X you’ll spin out a gear won’t you??

Well I have the "ghetto" 2×9 with a bash on the third ring bosses. My biggest chainring is a 36 tooth which is fine for most everything but I’m debating on going to a 34 or a 32 tooth just so I have a little more leverage.

34 seems like a decent compromise if it’s your only ring.

Some other chain guide ideas.

Bashguard

Bottom guide too

All MRP products. Which ones do you guys think would be best?

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.